Battery Life?

militant

Reaction score
Regular battery, 14hours 1min, 80% charge left. Lots of widgets/125 apps. Screen time is probably under 30 minutes, but it is so low Display doesn't show as a battery user. I made a few short calls/texts, and checked several emails. This is awesome!!

edit: 17hours 32mins, 70%

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^ That's crazy..

I'm taking this phone battery back tomorrow, see if a new one works any better. If not, new phone all together I guess.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
^ That's crazy..

I'm taking this phone battery back tomorrow, see if a new one works any better. If not, new phone all together I guess.

Did you try a factory reset & don't sync your data (so apps don't install and wifi settings don't get copied over), don't install apps, dial *22899, turn off GSM, run battery all the way til it shuts off then charge all the way?

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
^ That's crazy..

Did you try a factory reset & don't sync your data (so apps don't install and wifi settings don't get copied over), don't install apps, dial *22899, turn off GSM, run battery all the way til it shuts off then charge all the way?

I did all that upon first receiving the phone. I always run a new phone 100% stock without installing anything for the first couple of days to see if there are any issues. And I of course always run the battery all the way down the first time. My battery life is abysmal.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
^ That's crazy..

I did all that upon first receiving the phone. I always run a new phone 100% stock without installing anything for the first couple of days to see if there are any issues. And I of course always run the battery all the way down the first time. My battery life is abysmal.

I think its time we cease with posting the stats since the percentages don't tell us all that much right now. It's been pretty clear for some time that the radio is our main suspect. I also think that the resolution of the data on that screen minimizes its usefulness as a debugging tool. We need to look at other tools.

I have been watching the Moto Forums and have found some things that suggest that we are correct about the radio, there may also be an issue with the amount of logging going on. While my personal experience with APC UPS batteries suggests that there could be a problem with the batteries Moto is using, I suspect it isn't a battery issue.

What I have noticed is that I get much better battery life at home on the weekends where my signal is much better. I am using a tool that will let me compare my battery use across several days. So I am working on proving some of the battery saving tactics listed in this thread.

Also mentioned on the Moto thread:

- uninstalled google plus (i hear its current notification method is battery heavy)
- turned off wifi network availability notification
- set the 'social networking' delivery frequency to 60 minutes
- installed ShutUpBatterySaver (free) and configured it to avoid data sync with low signal strength

I turn of my WFI network availability normally. I don't connect to networks I don't own anyway. I don't use Google+ yet, and My social networking delivery is set to push. I don't tend to update Facebook from my phone all that often so I have my doubts that the push is using much. While I did install the battery saver, I disabled it for now since I am trying to actively troubleshoot.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Has anyone tried removing the Moto Social network configurations? I removed the config's and started using the dedicated applications and my battery life has been very good since. I typically have about 30-40% left after 18 hours off charge.

militant

Reaction score
1 Day 6 hours 22 minutes off charge - 40% remaining. Regular battery, over 130+ apps, 4 homescreens loaded with widgets. Wifi off, background data on, google location services on.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
1 Day 6 hours 22 minutes off charge - 40% remaining. Regular battery, over 130+ apps, 4 homescreens loaded with widgets. Wifi off, background data on, google location services on.

Would you mind uploading a picture of your battery usage screen to reflect this? I just find it a little hard to believe. Even people who have reported having good battery life aren't reporting these sort of stats.

militant

Reaction score
standby 42%
idle 38%
system 18%
OS 2%
display 2% (39 minutes on)

edit: going to take pic with old phone

crap, no sd card in old phone to take picture... I have no reason to lie. My low screen time on is why the battery is still so high.

Last edited:

bigmac429

Reaction score
I find that putting your screen display brightness at its lowest and turning off wifi and bluetooth when not using it has saved my battery as welldancedroid

manual

Reaction score
Here's a post I researched back when the DX came out:

This is what I've compiled through the process of a lot of reading...

Your Lithium Ion battery has a life span just like you and me. Its life span is measured in cycles. One cycle is a complete charge and recharge of the battery. Depending on the battery, and this changes all the time with size, quality and technology, your battery’s life span is probably somewhere between 300 and 700 cycles.

If you wake up in the morning, pull your battery off of your charger and then proceed to use 65% of the charge that day, and then put it back on the charger that night, you’ve just completed 0.65 cycles. So for most of us, a cycle is longer than a day. For many, not so much.

Partially discharging and then recharging your battery does not damage it. But each of these sub-cycles does have one negative, albeit minor effect: it makes the battery’s internal circuitry just a little less accurate.

Now you’d think that a battery would know how much juice it has, but think about it. From the day you start using your battery, it begins a long, slow process of decline. It is dying a little bit each day. Sad, but the same is true of you so don’t feel too bad for it. Now… do you expect your battery to keep up with this ever-changing process of decay with pinpoint accuracy?

It can’t, but here’s what you can do to help it stay sharp—about once every 30 days, starting with when you first get it and thereafter, drain your battery completely. This does cycle your battery, so don’t do it a lot or you’ll wind up killing it off early. Once a month is what the rocket scientists recommend. When you do drain your battery, you’re in effect recalibrating it. Now it knows exactly how much juice it has… and promptly starts slowly drifting off target again. That’s okay—good enough is good enough.

So these monthly drains make the battery meter a little more accurate each time, and that’s good and necessary. The initial drain can have a far more dramatic effect however. Your brand new battery got a factory charge before it was shipped out to you, but it’s never been drained. It is an unqualified idiot and it can’t even count toothpicks or make unintentionally poignant witticisms. To paraphrase, a new battery is like a box of chocolates: you never know what it’s going to tell you. Draining it the first time is sending it to school.

Remember, you’re not changing your battery’s capacity in any way. You’re simply enabling it to give you better information about its status, and that eases your mind and makes you feel better. Nobody likes buying a brand-new (and expensive) electronic marvel just to see some vital part of it’s functionality immediately crash and burn.

Other things to know…

Heat kills your battery. Don’t leave your phone in a hot car or inside a nuclear reactor.

Time kills your battery. If you buy one and leave it lying around, it’ll die lying there.

Inactivity kills your battery. If you do buy a spare, swap it in occasionally.

An inactive Lithium Ion battery will last longest if stored in the refrigerator at 40% charge.

Lithium Ion batteries can be made to explode, but they are not a suitable substitute for C4.

You can’t overcharge your Lithium Ion battery. The internal circuitry prevents it.

Take care of your battery and it will take care of you. Not because it likes you though. It’s just a piece of lithium with some ions sprinkled on top.

Battery University
Apple on Batteries
Blackberry FAQ
Power Electronics

Lmao

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

militant

Reaction score
As requested for the haters:

16as30w.jpg

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As requested for the haters:

16as30w.jpg

No one is hating, just curious as it definitely isn't what most users are experiencing, even those reporting good battery life. Thanks for the picture.

militant

Reaction score
No one is hating, just curious as it definitely isn't what most users are experiencing, even those reporting good battery life. Thanks for the picture.

I know, just ball busting because it seemed you didn't believe me. Glad to help.