Battery life

goldeneye397

Reaction score
I recently updated my phones software and now the battery life is smaller and i don't have connection anywhere. Any thoughts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently updated my phones software and now the battery life is smaller and i don't have connection anywhere. Any thoughts?

Every time there is a software update on every phone I've seen someone starts a thread about battery life being shorter. But what happens in most cases is the simple fact that when a phone gets an upgrade, people play around with it.

On most phones the display is the biggest battery user so I'll bet that once you get use to the update and quit fiddling around with it, your battery life will return to normal.;)

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is true. You're gonna mess with the phone more when you get something new. Its just human nature. It will wear off soon enough and i suspect your battery life will normalize.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

csphokie

Reaction score
Not entirely true

My wife used to go the entire day and still be around 40-50%. Since the update (and she rarely uses her phone) she will be at 50% after 2-3 hours. I've removed the battery for a few minutes, hoping that would fix it like after the update to froyo, but no change.

Is there a way to reset battery stats like there is on the D1? Her battery life is truly horrible now and I'm at a loss to fix it.

Thanks for the help gang!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife used to go the hole day and still be around 40-50%. Since the update (and she rarely uses her phone) she will be at 50% after 2-3 hours. I've removed the battery for a few minutes, hoping that would fix it like after the update to froyo, but no change.

Is there a way to reset battery stats like there is on the D1? Her battery life is truly horrible now and I'm at a loss to fix it.

Thanks for the help gang!

Give it some time. I'll bet she's pulling it out and checking the battery more often and that alone will cause a reduction in battery life.

As always, make sure there are no task killers or virus protection installed, or at least turned on. Tax killers interfere's with the way Android manages it's own memory.

I just looked and this update does only two things: It improves the delivery of OTA updates and improves incoming call connectivity. Doesn't sound like a major update at all to me.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/samsung_fascinate.pdf

If you still have issues then do a factory data reset. That's about all you can do.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Don't think you are the only one! I too have horrible battery life after 2.2. No amount of software/settings or battery reset processes have gotten me back to even close to what I had before on 2.1. I even bought a (half-price) battery charger and new battery. Something is different and seems to only affect certain Fascinates. I use to get a day and half easy on 2.1. Less than a day on 2.2. I am by far not a power user. If I leave the phone resting from full charge overnight-it says about 50% charge in the am, but using it then I go straight to red and 15% warning in a manner of minutes. I am opening up my phone so much to switch batteries, my phone back is getting lose!

SWYPE'd from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

csphokie

Reaction score
I think I MAY have figured it out

Was playing around w/ my wife's Fascinate last night, just exploring all the menus. When in the Wifi menu, I noticed that wifi was set to ALWAYS be on. I know on my Droid1 mine switches to 3g whenever the screen is off.
I went ahead and changed the setting to turn off wifi when the screen is off.

After that I went into view the Battery info...Wifi was eating up almost 30% of her battery. I checked my D1, it was 2%. That kind of validated my thinking. I will check in later to let you all know if this indeed did help.

csphokie

Reaction score
This definitely helped! Battery life is much better now.

As of 1:30 pm her battery was at 74%. Same use as the previous week, where her battery would have been between 20-30% at the same time. I advise anyone having battery issues to check to make sure their Wifi isn't on 100% of the time.

Was playing around w/ my wife's Fascinate last night, just exploring all the menus. When in the Wifi menu, I noticed that wifi was set to ALWAYS be on. I know on my Droid1 mine switches to 3g whenever the screen is off.
I went ahead and changed the setting to turn off wifi when the screen is off.

After that I went into view the Battery info...Wifi was eating up almost 30% of her battery. I checked my D1, it was 2%. That kind of validated my thinking. I will check in later to let you all know if this indeed did help.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Wow...i am going to try that setting change also! When I am at home I have to use wifi because I have less than 1 bar of phone advice and very low 3g. But this was no different on 2.1. I got great battery life on 2.1! On 2.2 it went to crap! Something was different. I never knew this was a setting. Crossing my fingers that this may be the CULPRIT! The setting is in Wireless and network =>Wi-fi Settings => Advanced (under network settings) => Wi-Fi Sleep policy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

skinsfan

Reaction score
Give it some time..try juice defender..i always mess with my phone with new updates and burn the battery

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Pmoser

Reaction score
I sugegst you post the battery usage information when you get to low battery and post it here. We can help decide what's wrong

Sent from my rooted Droid Increidble

broderp

Reaction score
My new phone (out of box less than a week old) almost instantly updated to 2.2.

So as such I have no reference with 2.1 to compare battery life to. I manage to get currently about 22 hours before dropping below 15% and need to plug in.

Thats a 22 hours of mixed usage, very little during the day, maybe 10 texts at most, 2-3 minutes of calls abd about 15 minutues of 'messing with the phone' with a mix of 3G downloads, apps and data.

From my limited understanding, background processess or apps running kill the battery. Is there an app that AUTOMATICALLY kills these processes and keep the phones battery (and CPU) from constant usage? Sounds to me lke the Android operating system doesn't have a decent memory manager. :icon_eek:

Jrp003

Reaction score
Hi, I have the same terrible battery life issue after 2.2.1. I uninstalled a bunch of apps but no relief. I finally narrowed it down to wifi. If I turn off wifi, battery life is back to decent. With wifi on, the battery drained in 2-3 hours even when I wasn't using the phone and screen was off. I have experimented many times and ways and this is a definite problem ( at least with my phone.) It is unfortunate because it basically rendered mobile wifi useless for any length of time, which is really a bummer with a mobile device.

Any ideas or fixes to this wifi issue on fascinate would be MUCH appreciated!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

broderp

Reaction score
Update to my post above. It seemed like I had a bunch of Widgets running. I disabled all but the Weatherbug clock widget.

I currently average 38-40 hours between charges with average use. I have been using ATK as well as the Task Manager. I also downloaded and an app called ControlPanel and used it to kill apps as well. I do a loty of app killing. :icon_eek:

I am now testing battery with NO ATK or usuage of any program to kill running apps. (I unistalled ATK, but left ControlPanel in to monitor things) I will not use them this cycle and see what affect this has on my battery life.

For the record, I'm OK with 36~40 hours. My buddy (Droid2 phone) so far has gone about 2 days+ and is still at around 50%. He doesn't use it as much as I do, but are our screens THAT much of a drain? Or does Samsung make crappy batterys or hardware?