battery life fix

jltung

Reaction score
Battery life

Hi Eric,

Sounds like the salesman was trying to dump a Storm 2 on you. Glad to hear that you are having good luck with your phone and battery life.

I know there is a major temptation to play with all the apps at the same time. Looking back I would only get the ones you think you might use. The more you download the higher the chance that you will get some bug or get a program that will run your battery.

I suspect you get good battery life because you live in an area with good 3G coverage. Lucky you.

Eric

Reaction score
^
Yes, I think so, too. They work partially on commission, as I understand it, so I expected that.

Yes, I am a little uneasy about what might be lurking in all those apps, in particular, the free ones. I wonder if that is the reason why some folks are reporting that their phones are sending out phantom e-mails and phone calls.

Coverage does seem very good here, yes, although I'm not sure how that would affect battery life.

jltung

Reaction score
Battery life

Hi Eric,

Some of the programs specifically gps, bluetooth, wifi and I believe TasKiller, Adv Task Killer are programmed to search for the phone periodically.

If the program gets a good signal from your phone and vice versa, then those
programs do not spend a lot of time looking for you, therefore saving your battery. You can check on your battery profile in the app 'Spare Parts'.

If you try your phone with gps, etc turned on in a 'lead box' (example : hospital radiology dept etc) and watch your battery melt away.

Eric

Reaction score
Hi jltung, I do understand that powering up GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth hardware, that battery life will decrease. And even more so if the Bluetooth "connects" to something. But GPS is looking to satellites, and WiFi for WiFi networks, and Bluetooth for other Bluetooth devices. None of those come over the 3G network, so I still don't understand how a good 3G signal helps. But that's OK. By the way, I now have 70% battery left after today, after a full charge last night! I think I can live with that. Eric

Edit 12/4: After thinking about the impact of 3G reception, I think what happens is that if the coverage is bad, the phone keeps transmitting to search for towers, and that would certainly impact batter life. Even a "dumb" phone would chew up batteries if in a poor (or no) reception area. It just keeps trying.

Last edited:

rcklss1

Reaction score
fixed finally

Ok guys just thought I would post my two cents.... this phone was my first Android all my previous phones were winmo and blackberry. Any way after checking every forum I knew of for a battery life fix I finally got mine figured out. I'm a very heavy data user but I was constantly pulling 100% awake even after every fix posted. I finally started shutting down apps and rebooting to test. I currentl6 have HTC's mail and messaging widget, Facebook widget, gps always on, stock sms, mobile always on and everything (facebook) included updating at the shortest interval and the highest I have peaked out at is 61 pretty much sitting at 20-35%. The culprit? IM apps.... had ebuddy as soon as I uninstalled and reboot 100% awake gone. I tested palringo, nimbuzz, aimer, and hi aim all with the same result. Going to try, IM+ now but I think ill have the same result. Probably dumb not to have thought of this earlier but I never had that issue on winmo or blackberry so it never occurredto me. I just hope this helps someone else and saves the frustration I have been dealing with for weeks now.

jhart15063

Reaction score
only having mobile networks on when i use it helps me alot.
i use the HTC widget to just click it on when i need an internet connection.
Add to home>HTC widgets>settings>mobile network.

Screwball

Reaction score
This lil change: "Uncheck" Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Enable always-on mobile, made on my Eris made a HUGE difference in battery usage. I'm not a power user but by the end of the day I'd be down to 20/30%... now I'm at 60/70%. Whoooahhh! Nice job whoever found this one!