battery drains when "charging"

pjo1966

Reaction score
I've noticed that when my droid is using navigation it drains the battery, even if the charger is plugged in. I just drove for 45 minutes. When I left the battery was at 60%, and now it's at 40%.

mikes

Reaction score
The Droid ships with an AC charger. Were you using that with an AC outlet in your car while driving? Or were you using some other, unmentioned, charger which plugs into the cigar lighter.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've noticed that when my droid is using navigation it drains the battery, even if the charger is plugged in. I just drove for 45 minutes. When I left the battery was at 60%, and now it's at 40%.

What car adapter are you using?

Kack

Reaction score
Umm was it plug in all the way. ive thought i was charging my phone in the car and got to my destination and realized that i had not plugged it all the way into the cig lighter. i pull it partially out when im not using it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that kind of sounds like the adapter is having a problem, not the Droid.

mikes

Reaction score
Yeah, that kind of sounds like the adapter is having a problem, not the Droid.
Kack isn't the OP with the issue, he's just someone who can't write proper English, jumping in with a non-sequitur.

OP
P

pjo1966

Reaction score
It's a cig charger that Verizon sold me with the Droid. The battery icon on the Droid indicates that it is charging, but it is clearly not.

OP
P

pjo1966

Reaction score
Is there another option for charging in the car besides a cigarette lighter? The rental I'm driving has a USB port, but I'm only going to have that for a day or two. When I get my Mini back, I'll be back to just the lighter as a power source.

toastedoats

Reaction score
I have seen this happen myself, took a 1.5hr drive with nav going and streaming pandora and lost 20% battery while pugged in

emonsterick

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue while using the charger that came coupled with the car dock. I've used it in multiple cars and while it does hold a charge longer than it would while not plugged in at all, it's still draining the battery even though the battery icon indicates it's plugged in.

Any insight on this would be immensely appreciated!

pyro6128

Reaction score
Thats odd. Maybe the car adapter youre using isnt strong enough? I don't know if that makes sense but maybe it just isn't giving enough power to the droid. Or maybe its just defective. I use the car charger that I bought for my enV touch and it works great. I just drove for 5+ hours straight on friday, and 4+ hours on sunday with nav running the whole time with some pandora mixed in at times, and when I unplugged I had full battery. I guess your battery could be whats defective as well

Reaction score
I suppose you could always just buy an inverter and use your A/C adapter to plug it in. That's what we do with my son's DVD player since the rib broke the cigarette lighter charger.