Batter Life App - troubleshooting ideas?

itchn2go

Reaction score
I have searched and searched but I am unable to find anything. My battery life has gone to hell and I am wondering if anyone knows of an app that monitors the running programs, their activity level and battery usage. I really dont want to uninstall one program at a time and montior the effect. I have made major changes to the phone so removing 1 or 2 apps is not an option. If anyone has ideas I am open to hearing them.

Config
CM6.1.2 Stock Kernel - w/ milestone overclock app but set to 700MHz
Compcache active
ADW Launcher
Minimalist Widget running (over on XDA everyone says no battery drain w/ screen off)

What makes up "Android System" displayed on the battery usage screen?

Thanks in advance!
Ed

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
What I did instead what just buy another battery. I use my Droid how I want and just recharge at the end of the day.

People just get too stressed out on trying to "configure" their phone to get an extra hr or 2 out of it.

BUt to answer your question, there a couple of Battery applications in the Market that monitor whats being used/run that would give you a better idea of whats going on with your phone. Sorry I couldnt help you out more.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Ed,

Have you performed the battery stats calibration? I think it was mentioned in the other thread in which we conversed. Charge phone fully, delete battery stats in CW recovery (or manually) then use the phone till complete drain. This process should be done periodically, regardless of the rom you are using.

The other thing that really helped me was finding the lowest voltage that will work for my slots, and enable a sleep/screen off profile in Setcpu where my low is 200 and high is 500, "ondemand governor".

You can use the phones settings menu to see what is running, and for how long, and spare parts will give you a lot of information on what is using what.

And as Cloud pointed out, it could just be your battery has lost some life. Not sure how old your battery is, but is important to think of the battery as a standalone device, subject to its own life span and potential breakdown. My process to isolate the battery is to perform the recalibration, enable as low of a sleep profile that you can, and once these are done, charge the phone and when going to bed one night, throw it in airplane mode and turn off the screen. In the morning you should see something like 90% left on the battery. Just a first start, then perhaps get creative with the apps.

Craig

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Actually, I have to rephrase what I said. I just bought an additional battery. I have 2 now plus a wall charger. Ive tried Juice Defender, Batery FU, and another I cant remember but just having another charged up battery in your pocket, (you can get one on eBay for $5 all day long) you wont have to worry about it.

As far as wiping Batt stats..I dont think that extends batery life, it just makes the reading correct, (like when it says 30% left its really 30%) could be wrong though.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Cloud,

That is exactly what it does, sets the top and bottom voltages of the battery so the phone can accurately report. There have been enough threads with folks who know something about batteries that reflect that we should not be deep cycling these very often, that partial charges are best. The problem comes in with rom flashing, some level of wipes and just general futzing with the phone's operating system that it appears the calibration can get whacked.

But I am with you on the spare battery. My goal is to optimize my phone so that if I ever need to stretch things out I can, but in general I do not loose a bit of sleep over it during normal routines where I am never far from a power source. But I live semi-remotely, and play in even more remote locations, so options and optimizing are good.

Craig

OP
I

itchn2go

Reaction score
battery is 6 months old and is the extended D2 battery. I did the calibration about a week ago. I have also ordered another battery but if i leave the phone at 90% over night i wake up at 10%. I just took a clock/weather widget off that was done using minimalist. I will see if that has an effect tonight. over on XDA everyone says minimalist does not drain the battery.

I also have to try to get the voltage down now that you guys got me going on comcache and the milestone app!

I was going to ask a question about lowering the voltage...maybe guys know...for any given CPU speed isn't the power drawn from the battery the same? So if we lower the voltage won't it just draw more current since P=V*I?

Thanks for responding.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Ed,

Jerroedr sounds correct. It is the reason I mentioned using airplane mode overnight. Could be a rogue ap, or problems with your 3g/phone standby. If you phone is having difficulty keeping the radio and 3g connection, it will drain like crazy. same with gps running. The battery should be fine, but unless you have a second to confirm, then you could end up grasping at straws.

As to the voltage question, not sure on your formula, but I have tested the milestone ap and my custom slots extensively. In theory if you ask of your processor to do the same work with less voltage I would expect the net to be the same. But, this is where your sleep profile is critical (or just setcpu/kernel slots in general). With sleep, you want the lowest slot that will wake the phone. Then on the high end of the sleep profile you want just enough voltage and cpu slot to allow the phone to do background tasks while sleeping to keep the processor from getting back logged. and with Milestone or the manual slot settings, you play with the voltage for each slot to get by with the least amount of voltage (vsel setting). So back to the formula, with profiles you are actually not fixing voltage, but lowering the processor speed and optimizing the lowest vsel setting to reduce voltage requirement.

DF member Wingdo really helped me get my head around all of this with some of his posts in the long Compcache thread (near the end) and I think in the milestone tutorial thread. Might help for you to check his replies to me.

And all of this well and good in theory, but back to your applications, you should have better battery life overnight, but either something(s) are running amuck keeping your processor up all night. For me it was setting a low end sleep at 400, and not reducing the top end from 900. Toss in the weather widget, gmail and google voice polling all night (at 900) and I had poor battery performance.

Craig

OP
I

itchn2go

Reaction score
I found spare parts will indicates sleep time. My phone clearly is not sleeping. Any suggestions on how to figure this out is welcomed.

Ed

kinda sounds like your phone isnt sleeping

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
What I did instead what just buy another battery. I use my Droid how I want and just recharge at the end of the day.

People just get too stressed out on trying to "configure" their phone to get an extra hr or 2 out of it.

BUt to answer your question, there a couple of Battery applications in the Market that monitor whats being used/run that would give you a better idea of whats going on with your phone. Sorry I couldnt help you out more.

I'm in complete agreement with cloudstrife on this. This is *not* a dress rehearsal for life. Rather than stress out and cut back on apps or display settings, simply buy a bigger battery. That solution permits you to run your display the way you want to and run any apps you like whenever you wish.

-Mike

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I found spare parts will indicates sleep time. My phone clearly is not sleeping. Any suggestions on how to figure this out is welcomed.

Ed

Ed,

Did you go through some of what I posted in reply #9? The biggest culprits can be gps running, wifi and or your 3g connection having difficulty maintaining a connection, and spending all night just trying to connect. Other than that widgets trying to update all night, or other apps that have syncing privilages doing the same. If this is happening on a stable rom, then those are where I would look. If you are running a GB hybrid, who knows.......

Craig

OP
I

itchn2go

Reaction score
Craig,

thanks for reading. yeah, i went through all that. I am 10 feet from my wireless router and have 5 bars on VZW with strong 3G (tower near by). GPS off and but the phone would not sleep.

I bit the bullet yesterday and did a reset and wiped all data. I got compcache and the OC running first then started to install a few apps. Went to bed @ 90% battery and woke up to 90% battery!

Spare parts confirmed the phone slept all night (on 3G). It appears that on WiFi the phone does not sleep. I have the sleep setting (advanced wifi) set to when screen is off.

I will install my apps a few at a time and monitor the sleeping habits of the phone :)

I have a feeling this is going to be great once i get it set!

Ed

Ed

Ed,

Did you go through some of what I posted in reply #9? The biggest culprits can be gps running, wifi and or your 3g connection having difficulty maintaining a connection, and spending all night just trying to connect. Other than that widgets trying to update all night, or other apps that have syncing privilages doing the same. If this is happening on a stable rom, then those are where I would look. If you are running a GB hybrid, who knows.......

Craig

Last edited:

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Itch,

Have you tried playing with the wifi sleep policy settings in Spare Parts? Perhaps choosing a different toggle will help. I went through the thread you linked, and those folks are all over the place as the "reason". Wifi to Launcherpro. It is a worthwhile read as there is good information, but my take is that no one solution seemed to work for everyone.

Craig