Auto-capitalization of "i" and auto-apostrophe of contractions...how do we do this?

r314bd

Reaction score
On my OG Droid, if I typed "i" it would automatically capitalize, and if I typed something like "couldnt" it would automatically add an apostrophe.

This functionality has disappeared on the D4. Is there any way to re-enable it?

huskur

Reaction score
Yes. Menu>settings>Language & keyboard>multi-touch keyboard settings

Check "auto punctuate, Auto-capitalization" There may be a few more you want to add to that. They are there in the list

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Yes. Menu>settings>Language & keyboard>multi-touch keyboard settings

Check "auto punctuate, Auto-capitalization" There may be a few more you want to add to that. They are there in the list
I have both of those selected but they only appear to capitalize at the beginning of a sentence, and contractions don't automatically populate the apostrophe when I press the space bar after typing the word. Do they work for you?

huskur

Reaction score
I have both of those selected but they only appear to capitalize at the beginning of a sentence, and contractions don't automatically populate the apostrophe when I press the space bar after typing the word. Do they work for you?

Yes. Mine work just as you describe that you want yours to work. Hmmm

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
:(

I recently switched devices and the problem occurred on my old D4 as well. I'm wondering if something from my restored Google settings is causing the problem.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I am on the Bionic. But same issue as the OP, and also worked on my OG Droid. I already had the above mentioned items checked also.

Tag for me, bump for the OP

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Mine is fixed! As in my previous post, the above items were checked. I had something on the menu in the path above that was not checked. I checked it. Now every menu item is checked. I do not know which menu item it was now, but "I" and "can't" are fixed.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Ok I got it too. I was changing the settings on "Multi-touch keyboard" and not "Built-in keyboard."

Silly me. Once I selected Auto-replace, it started working :)