Auto brightness not working

Reaction score
In the last few months, the auto-brightness feature has become buggy

- When I unlock the phone, the screen brightness is very high
- When I pull down the menu and uncheck and then recheck auto-brightness, the screen brightness adjusts to the appropriate level
- This seems to indicate that the flux sensor is working
- I haven't installed any new apps and am running 4.3

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, first question... Do you have a screen protector in place? Second question if yes to the first... Is there cutouts along the top of the phone that allow the sensors to "see" without having to go through the screen protector?

bbtkd

Reaction score
Are you running any power saving apps, such as Juice Defender? If so, disable or uninstall it.

Failing everything else, your phone may have a messed up operating system. Some may suggest a FDR, but given that most of us should be getting an update to Android Lollipop in the net few weeks, I'd wait to see if that clears it up.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
No - don't have a screen protector or a battery saving app.

Also the brightness sensor is working because if I uncheck and then recheck auto-brightness, the brightness adjusts down automatically.

I have been using the phone for a year and a half without issues on auto-brightness. I noticed this a few months ago and haven't installed any new apps either.

Any other suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try an app called Clean Master to see if some residual junk in some obscure app or service is the culprit. I can't remember what I did to stop that from happening on my Note2 but I think it was a junk clean only. The app is free btw.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I apologize if this sounds insulting, but have you cleaned the screen recently? A good thumbprint or dust over the light sensor can really mess with accuracy.

Also, did your phone get an update recently? As in about the time you noticed the auto-brightness going haywire? Have you checked for any updates to make sure you're running the latest version of Android for your phone?

bbtkd

Reaction score
Try an app called Clean Master to see if some residual junk in some obscure app or service is the culprit. I can't remember what I did to stop that from happening on my Note2 but I think it was a junk clean only. The app is free btw.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Gawd do I ever hate Clean Master. While it is a great app for cleaning up junk files, it drove me nuts by repeatedly insisting that I praise it on social media (which I don't use), inserted itself as my app scanner while blocking Lookout, and wanting me to add other paid features, etc. Since I couldn't disable any of that behavior, I finally removed it and installed CCleaner instead.

shark86x

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My auto brightness is working...too often. It turns itself on and off automatically at random. The brightness level changes also. I can't attribute it to anything. Havent done anything new or different. Stock. Not rooted. Sensor is clean. Up to date android. Seems like it started after the last update but not sure exactly when it started. Phone runs hot occasionally as well. Come on lollipop.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Gawd do I ever hate Clean Master.
I finally removed it and installed CCleaner instead.
Agreed. I stopped using Clean Master awhile ago....CCleaner has a much better UI and is much easier to use....especially in terms of accidentally deleting important files like CM will do if you're not careful.

S5 tap'n

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My auto brightness is working...too often. It turns itself on and off automatically at random. The brightness level changes also. I can't attribute it to anything. Havent done anything new or different. Stock. Not rooted. Sensor is clean. Up to date android. Seems like it started after the last update but not sure exactly when it started. Phone runs hot occasionally as well. Come on lollipop.

Did you do a factory reset for the last update? Sometimes it helps.