Audio Out via USB

jsg7377

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Droid is capable of pushing audio out via USB like the G1 does with the mini usb?

I am not sure if this is a hardware or software solution (or both). Furthermore, I am not even sure its possible with the Droid... I have no idea how it works on the G1, I just know it does, lol.

Last edited:

bennyj

Reaction score
my truck stereo system has USB and that what I book my Droid to to listen to my tunes. Sounds awesome. You just have to remember to mount it.

NoKz

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD that has usb on the front. I've mounted the droid and the head unit is never able to pick it up. It makes me sad :(

zasran

Reaction score
It should work if you use Droid as mass storage (IIRC docs said if you connect Droid you can say mount or something like that).

Is that what the orginal question is about or was it about using USB speakers?

akj27

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD that has usb on the front. I've mounted the droid and the head unit is never able to pick it up. It makes me sad :(

Same here brother. I've sent an email to Pioneer and I'm waiting for a reply. I'll let you know if they figure out a way to make it work.

OP
J

jsg7377

Reaction score
I do not want to use it as a Mass Storage device. I want stereo audio out via USB.

The reason I do not want to use the AUX port is because it is just one more thing to connect. I want it to look clean.

I have integrated the multimedia dock into my car's dash (reversed the magnet so that it opens the Car Home instead).

I want to be able to charge and listen to music but only have to plug in one cable (or in this case slide the Droid into the dock).

If it can't be done, that is understandable. But if a G1 can, why can't the droid. Is it a hardware or software issue?

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
You can't mount it via USB because the the computer (or host USB device) doesn't see the phone as a Mass Storage Device EVEN if the SD card is mounted with in the phone.

OP
J

jsg7377

Reaction score
I have integrated the multimedia dock into my car's dash (reversed the magnet so that it opens the Car Home instead).

Pics or it didn't happen.

Just because I didn't post pics doesn't mean it didn't happen....

The only pics I have right now are old and are of the plug. It is now sanded, prepped, and ready for glass.

4179135691_93d0613659.jpg

4179133375_02807df124.jpg

Right now I am just using the model (its wired up with power only) until I lay it up in fiberglass -- hopefully Wednesday morning (if you are actually interested I will post the pics of the process and final product). I am just waiting for my resin to arrive. The 12V harness is wired to a DC/DC Micro USB Car Adapter with an audio cable going to the rear aux of the head unit (which is still disconnected).

The final product should look clean. The glass will be sanded down to a matte finish, and sealed with a matte resin coat.

I also rigged it up to remote start it via the Droid as well (right now its just using HTML code to run a WebRelay, but I am looking to make a simple app). I just need to get my hands on an old laptop with PCMCIA II slot to activate my broadband card (the car also has wifi). I suppose you will want pics of that too... I'll post a video once it is cleanly integrated. Right now its just a mess of cables and hardware as I have been too busy to integrate it. I figured as long as I had mobile WiFi , I might as well give it a cellular remote start -- for $hits and Giggles of course.

But back to the original question... Can the damn thing pump audio via USB. If it can't I am just going to use a BT Audio Gateway (which is a whole 'nother question)

Last edited:

qube

Reaction score
Wow, you and I seemed to have had the same idea of integrating the media dock into the dashboard of a car. I also flipped the magnet around to turn the media dock into a car dock. I didn't go as far as you did with molding the dock into the dashboard. I just used velcro tape. Very good work with yours.

I don't believe that the droid can output audio via the micro-usb port. I too thought this would be a good way to integrate the droid into my car stereo. One workaround is to buy a head unit that has stereo bluetooth built in. I went to a local Best Buy and paired my droid with a Sony head unit. It was pretty cool. Pause, play, skip forward and back can all be done from the head unit's controls. And the head unit had an integrated mic for hands-free calling.

So, if the Droid doesn't have stereo out via USB, it's not too bad, because it works great with Stereo Bluetooth. I just don't want to buy another head unit for the ability to do so.

OP
J

jsg7377

Reaction score
@qube

Well that is good to know that the Droid can do audio via Bluetooth efficiently. I will definitely use my Bluetooth Audio Gateway adapter instead. How was the audio quality? Too bad I can't put a new head unit in, that one from BestBuy sounds pretty legit.

falkien

Reaction score
@qube

Well that is good to know that the Droid can do audio via Bluetooth efficiently. I will definitely use my Bluetooth Audio Gateway adapter instead. How was the audio quality? Too bad I can't put a new head unit in, that one from BestBuy sounds pretty legit.

Which bluetooth gateway are you using? I found the blackberry one for 35 bucks. Just curious which one works well.

OP
J

jsg7377

Reaction score
Falkien,

I was referring to the RIM Blackberry BT Audio Gateway Adapter. It worked great with the Storm (a little bit of a pain on the first pair). I have yet to use it on the Droid, but I will try it out tomorrow and let you know how well it works with it.

zasran

Reaction score
But that's what most (all?) stereos do, as far as I know. Which stereo do you have?

If you connect any device that's in USB Mass Storage mode the stereo should look for mp3 (possibly others, depends on stereo) files and play them. It should not matter whether it's an MP3 player or Droid etc.

E.g. I can do that with JVC El Kameleon KD-AVX40, I use bluetooth with Droid because it allows me to stream not only files I have on SD card but use streaming apps like pandor or last.fm.

Are you saying your car radio can work as USB speaker/soundcard?