Audio Out via USB

zasran

Reaction score
Bimmerjo, what are you talking about? I only read it in docs before but for the fun of it I just tried it, connected to computer, then selected mount (on Droid after it connected) and now I have it visible as a disk from computer, using USB Mass Storage driver.

Here's what logs say (this is on Linux):

Dec 12 15:58:48 jojda kernel: [188205.744033] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Dec 12 15:58:48 jojda kernel: [188205.878537] usb 1-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Dec 12 15:58:49 jojda kernel: [188206.780481] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Dec 12 15:58:49 jojda kernel: [188206.780689] scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Dec 12 15:58:49 jojda kernel: [188206.781126] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
Dec 12 15:58:49 jojda kernel: [188206.781135] USB Mass Storage support registered.
Dec 12 15:58:49 jojda kernel: [188206.781691] usb-storage: device found at 3
Dec 12 15:58:49 jojda kernel: [188206.781697] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Dec 12 15:58:54 jojda kernel: [188211.780542] usb-storage: device scan complete
Dec 12 15:58:54 jojda kernel: [188211.781403] scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access Motorola A855 0001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Dec 12 15:58:54 jojda kernel: [188211.782347] sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
Dec 12 15:58:54 jojda kernel: [188211.798280] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
Dec 12 16:00:09 jojda kernel: [188286.631183] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] 31116288 512-byte logical blocks: (15.9 GB/14.8 GiB)
Dec 12 16:00:09 jojda kernel: [188286.631797] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
Dec 12 16:00:09 jojda kernel: [188286.634171] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] Assuming drive cache: write through
Dec 12 16:00:09 jojda kernel: [188286.634180] sdc: sdc1

The messages at 16:00:09 were printed after I clicked on mount button on Droid.

Last edited:

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
It works on Linux for me as well, (your post got me curious, but I never could get it to work with windows. OR my Alpine USB interface.

qube

Reaction score
The quality sounded pretty good. There are audio quality problems with the headphone jack in my opinion, so bypassing it via bluetooth is probably better anyway.

tktouch12

Reaction score
I have a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD that has usb on the front. I've mounted the droid and the head unit is never able to pick it up. It makes me sad :(

Same here brother. I've sent an email to Pioneer and I'm waiting for a reply. I'll let you know if they figure out a way to make it work.
Cool deal. :icon_ banana:
i think i'm going to get this deck for/ after christmas. can you let me know what you find out?

Another_Dude

Reaction score
I have the Moto auto dock and a head unit that processes bluetooth audio. When running Pandora/Google Nav I was actually shocked at how good the audio quality sounds.

When I put the Droid's media volume at max or just below max it seems to sound the best.

OP
J

jsg7377

Reaction score
takeshi,

lol, good point... I shouldn't have even bothered wasting my time digging up those photos.

akj27

Reaction score
This is what Pioneer replied with:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.
Not all MP3 player are compatible. The MP3 players need to be FAT32 formatted.

Thank You,

Pablo
Customer Service Representative

But the droid's memory card is fat32 formatted, so why doesn't it work? Only possible explanation is that it doesn't play audio/video via usb.

Randomocity

Reaction score
I'm using a Sony MEX-BT3700u bluetooth enabled head unit with the droid car dock, enabled with both bluetooth audio streaming and USB. Personally I find that while the bluetooth does sound good, it's really light on the lows when compared with the USB. I do have to mount the droid in Mass Storage mode every time its in the dock, but I've been working on using locale to detect when my phone's been attached to my car and automatically put it into mass storage mode. I'll keep you guys updated on that one.

dgonz

Reaction score
I have integrated the multimedia dock into my car's dash (reversed the magnet so that it opens the Car Home instead).

Pics or it didn't happen.

Just because I didn't post pics doesn't mean it didn't happen....

The only pics I have right now are old and are of the plug. It is now sanded, prepped, and ready for glass.

4179135691_93d0613659.jpg

4179133375_02807df124.jpg

Right now I am just using the model (its wired up with power only) until I lay it up in fiberglass -- hopefully Wednesday morning (if you are actually interested I will post the pics of the process and final product). I am just waiting for my resin to arrive. The 12V harness is wired to a DC/DC Micro USB Car Adapter with an audio cable going to the rear aux of the head unit (which is still disconnected).

The final product should look clean. The glass will be sanded down to a matte finish, and sealed with a matte resin coat.

I also rigged it up to remote start it via the Droid as well (right now its just using HTML code to run a WebRelay, but I am looking to make a simple app). I just need to get my hands on an old laptop with PCMCIA II slot to activate my broadband card (the car also has wifi). I suppose you will want pics of that too... I'll post a video once it is cleanly integrated. Right now its just a mess of cables and hardware as I have been too busy to integrate it. I figured as long as I had mobile WiFi , I might as well give it a cellular remote start -- for $hits and Giggles of course.

But back to the original question... Can the damn thing pump audio via USB. If it can't I am just going to use a BT Audio Gateway (which is a whole 'nother question)

that. is ferkin awesome.

do my truck next, haha

hazydave

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Droid is capable of pushing audio out via USB like the G1 does with the mini usb?

I am not sure if this is a hardware or software solution (or both). Furthermore, I am not even sure its possible with the Droid... I have no idea how it works on the G1, I just know it does, lol.

Here's the skinny on these issues.. I don't know everything about the DROID's capabilities (I have one, sure enough).

USB is a master/slave protocol... you need a master device, like your PC, and a slave device, like a USB stick. Masters can't talk to masters, slaves can't talk to slaves. Almost.

In USB 2.0, they added a thing called USB on-the-go, which allows a device to do both, by detection what the "other guy" is doing, then do the other thing. Some devices support this. I have a camcorder that can back itself up to a USB storage device, but also hooks up to a PC as a storage device itself.

In addition to the hardware, you need device drivers on the target device. A device might well support USB on-the-go, but if it doesn't know about storage device or keyboard or mice or whatever, it can't support them.

I don't know of any evidence that the DROID supports on-the-go. To be able to "push" audio over USB, it would have to be able to present itself as a USB audio device. However, there are many USB masters (PCs, my Pioneer car GPS device) that know how to pull audio from USB storage devices. I haven't tried it, but there's a good chance my GPS could use my DROID as an audio source this way. These things are subject to other issues... for example, does your USB master look everywhere on the USB storage device or media, or is it expecting this to be in a certain location? A PC, my PS3, etc. can definitely work with the DROID this way.

The other main way to get audio out easily is via Bluetooth. The DROID does support the AD2P (Advanced Audio Distribution Protocol) profile, for talking to music quality headphones It is compressed, and by default uses an encoding called SCP, which is simpler than MP3 but kind of the same idea. The protocol handshakes with your headphones, and supports direct distribution of encoded audio without re-compressing if your headphones support it, in MPEG, AAC, and ATRAC formats.

Of course, like every Bluetooth phone, it also supports the HSP "headset" protocol, which is monophonic low-quality audio in one direction, voice in the other direction, each at 64kb/s using the very low complexity CVSD compression, or straight PCM audio (8-bit samples at 8kHz).

akj27

Reaction score
What motorola replied with:

Dear Bruno,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

Regarding your concern, please note that the micro USB port on the Droid is only to charge it or connect it to a computer to transfer files. But it is not and audio out port. But the 3.5mm is an AUX, so if you can connect a cable with 3.5mm on one end and either USB or 3.5mm also on the other end, you should be able to listen to the music.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

So I guess we get some sort of app, we're not gonna see audio via usb anytime soon

G'Ner

Reaction score
Bimmerjo what Alpine interface do you have I want buy a KCA-620M and try to hookup my droid in mass storage mode. By the way nice bmw I drive a e36 325is and a member of bimmerforums.

I want the Head unit to do the audio processing, not the phone.

How do I put the phone in mass storage mode?

Last edited:

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
Alright, got the alpine working with my phone, it started working after I updated it. All I do is plug the phone into USB/iPod port on the alpine, go to the notification panel, and click on "USB Connected" then click on "Mount". boom done it wasn't doing this earlier. Let me post pics in a sec.....

Edit: Here is how mine is setup:

2009-12-16213317.jpg
2009-12-16213335.jpg

I apologize for how dirty my interior is :mad: I've just been super busy and haven't had a chance to properly take care of my baby lol

Re-edit: Head unit is a iDA-X300 - and is designed to search EVERY folder for *.mp3's into 4 subfolders (IIRC)

And thanks G'Ner ;) I'm on bimmerforums as well, and e30tech.com. Shoot, just google "bimmerjo" and you'll pretty much find every forum that i'm on.

Last edited: