assert in apply_patch_check when upgrading

cmtptr

Reaction score
Hi,

For several weeks now my Motorola Droid has been trying to install an automatic update. Each time I tell it to proceed, the phone reboots, then stops at the following assertion:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/CertInstaller.apk", "429cf7545b4f36d58ddc874ca805c35e9b098044", "47337b764a1ef7323d0e41ecdc70aa2ec1010011")
E:Error in /cache/bede60e851bb.signed-voles-FRG83D-from-FRG22D.bede60e8.zip (Status 7)
Installation aborted.
I have not rooted this phone or done any sort of unsupported modding. In fact, I use it almost only for mail/web, ssh (ConnectBot), and the occasional phone call.

What is /system/app/CertInstaller.apk, and why is it causing an assertion during the upgrade? Does this file belong to any specific app that I could uninstall to get past this? Is there anything else that I can do to work around this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
C

cmtptr

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have any suggestions at all? I can't go to Verizon tech support. I tried that briefly and got the usual, "try taking the battery out of the phone for a few seconds...," which is utterly retarded since this is clearly a software problem.

Thanks.

OP
C

cmtptr

Reaction score
Could someone at least be kind enough to redirect me to another community where I might find a solution? This is getting very irritating -- not so much that I can't update my phone, but that nobody seems to have any answer!