Are there any good apps for finding directions?

nerdkill

Reaction score
i've found that not saying "to" helps with voice search, especially when saying an address. try "navigate mcdonalds". on another note, why do you want to go to mcdonalds? you can also try looking to your right and then to your left, good chance you'll find one. stick with google maps, once you learn it you'll love it.

nerdkill

Reaction score
also, are you sure you're not seeing a list of different mcdonalds?

OP
K

kingfish

Reaction score
I must be missing something. I'm holding down the magnifying glass long enough for the sound box to open up. I say "find mcdonalds", and the internet google search screen pops up with "find mcdonalds" typed into the search bar and underneath are a bunch of links listed regarding mcdonalds, but no directions (as an example, it gave me one in texas (I'm in Maryland)). Is there a setting I need to change? Also, I tried holding down the mag. glass and speaking from the google maps app, but I had the same results.

by the way, I have the HTC droid, does that make a difference?

iPirate

Reaction score
I must be missing something. I'm holding down the magnifying glass long enough for the sound box to open up. I say "find mcdonalds", and the internet google search screen pops up with "find mcdonalds" typed into the search bar and underneath are a bunch of links listed regarding mcdonalds, but no directions (as an example, it gave me one in texas (I'm in Maryland)). Is there a setting I need to change? Also, I tried holding down the mag. glass and speaking from the google maps app, but I had the same results.

HTC droid eris makes a difference. i'm not sure how it works on that phone. try opening maps, then pressing and holding the mag glass and say "find mcdonalds" then

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, didn't realize you were on the Eris... that may make a difference...

Briankbl

Reaction score
Here is what you do, step by step:

1) Open the Google Maps App.
2) Press menu key.
3) Choose "Search".
4) Type "McDonalds".
5) All of the McD's in your area will pop up on the map as red dots.
6) Click on the one that is closest to you.
7) Click on either "Directions" or "Navigate", depending on what you want to do. You can also call McD's from the same menu.

There ya go. Hope this helps!

*Keep in mind, these instructions are via the Moto Droid Google Maps App, but I would think the apps themselves would be pretty much identical.

Briankbl

Reaction score

2) Press menu key.
3) Choose "Search".
4) Type "McDonalds".
7) Click on either "Directions" or "Navigate", depending on what you want to do. You can also call McD's from the same menu.

*Keep in mind, these instructions are via the Moto Droid Google Maps App, but I would think the apps themselves would be pretty much identical.

Alternatively, (on the Droid, not sure about Eris) you can skip steps 1-4 all-together. Hold down the Magnifying Glass button until a box pops up that says "Speak Now" and say "Map of McDonalds". That will take you directly to step 5, above.

crspang

Reaction score

Do you have GPS enabled? Do you see the GPS icon (beside your signal meter) when you start Google search? When you see the search results for McD's do you see any near you? If so click on the link for that one and if there is an address included most of the time it will give you an option to "view in maps" click on that and choose navigate.

Reaction score
Droid Eris doesn't have the voice search capabilities the Moto Droid has because it's only running Android 1.5. Android 2.0 has it integrated throughout. The voice search is VERY powerful in 2.0. It's the one thing about the Droid that impresses everyone that sees me use it. Holding the "search" button down and saying a name brings it up out of your contacts. "Call ..." Calls whomever you say. Saying ".... address" will bring up the local one or if you say the name of a place and a city, it will show you all the ones in that city. "Navigate to" will open the google nav app and start your trip. I test different things constantly and am amazed at how powerful it is.

iPirate

Reaction score
Droid Eris doesn't have the voice search capabilities the Moto Droid has because it's only running Android 1.5. Android 2.0 has it integrated throughout. The voice search is VERY powerful in 2.0. It's the one thing about the Droid that impresses everyone that sees me use it. Holding the "search" button down and saying a name brings it up out of your contacts. "Call ..." Calls whomever you say. Saying ".... address" will bring up the local one or if you say the name of a place and a city, it will show you all the ones in that city. "Navigate to" will open the google nav app and start your trip. I test different things constantly and am amazed at how powerful it is.
Are you sure the map app doesn't have it?

Briankbl

Reaction score

2) Press menu key.
3) Choose "Search".
4) Type "McDonalds".

Kingfish, follow these steps. Ignore my other post below it.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Droid without using the magnifying glass until I just read this and I'm blown away.

Is there a list of commands somewhere so I can learn them all...

Wow.

mjs31

Reaction score
Google works fine for directions
Actually my Garmin has Google built in as well

crspang

Reaction score
Didn't think about it earlier but "Nav Launcher" works pretty good. Its a free app, download it and try it.