Are any of the Droid X/iPhone 4 camera photo comparisons legit?

jcardona1

Reaction score
Even if the iPhone's camera is better, do you really want to go to AT&T just to take better pictures?
not at all haha! i just wish motorola would invest the time/research with the camera like other companies do. it'd be nice to finally have a decent camera on my phone :)

nthanh61

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the Droid X cannot go below 100 ISO speed? It doesn't say in the manual.

I don't know much about camera but I can confirm to you about the ISO speed. I checked on my Droid X and it's on "Auto", but it has choices for 100, 200, 400 & 800.
By the way where should I leave it for best quality picture? Also the Droid X definitely take better pictures than the Droid. I am using both right now.

OP
RolandDeschain
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
Can anyone confirm that the Droid X cannot go below 100 ISO speed? It doesn't say in the manual.

I don't know much about camera but I can confirm to you about the ISO speed. I checked on my Droid X and it's on "Auto", but it has choices for 100, 200, 400 & 800.
By the way where should I leave it for best quality picture? Also the Droid X definitely take better pictures than the Droid. I am using both right now.

Lowest ISO = best quality. (ISO 100 in this case) You may need to increase it in low light conditions or when taking pictures of quickly-moving objects, though.

If you have a Droid X on hand - could you possibly take some pics at full 8 megapixel resolution, at all four ISO settings, and post the full-res versions for us to see? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

jcardona1

Reaction score
yeah, the lower the ISO the better quality pics. as stated above, you may want to bump this up in low light. let's see some pics!

nthanh61

Reaction score
This was taken with Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800 ISO in that order. I am no photographer, so I hope I do justice to the Droid X.

cpjr

Reaction score
Eh, chances are the iphone4 may be a little better. Who cares, really. It's a phone. Nobody is taking pro photos with a phone.

If you buy a phone just for the camera, save the money and spend it on a powershot point and shoot.

+1

And anyone who uses their phone for taking pics isnt going to complain about the minor differences between devices. (or at least shouldnt)

I use my Nikon D80 SLR when the pics are important :)

I have a Powershot, and a D40. I dont want to carry around my Powershot anymore. I am looking for a phone that can handle my day to day photography. Nothing exceptional, just your everyday snapshot. Some phones can handle this quite well. It certainly seems as though the iphone can do this.

As far as any conspiracy goes....well perhaps. I do have a hard time thinking all of these websites fudges the results in one way or another. I would probably have an easier time with the idea if I had seen a good shot out of the X....anywhere.....has anyone seen a good shot from it yet?

I agree...as do I for everyday stuff. My iphone (was 3gs now iphone 4) takes excellent pics. My Incredible takes great pics too, I would however say Im happier with the iphone 4 pics.

jcardona1

Reaction score
This was taken with Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800 ISO in that order. I am no photographer, so I hope I do justice to the Droid X.
thanks for the pics :) hate to say it, but those pics are just like what was shown on the web. what a disappointment! i was really looking forward to a good camera on the X. looks fuzzy without any detail just like the old droid. oh well, looks like iphone 4 wins in the camera department

OP
RolandDeschain
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
Thanks, nthanh61! It's funny - the amount of light was too high for the last two pics to shoot at that high of an ISO setting. The 400 one is actually 225 and the 800 one is actually 192. (and they had exposure times of 1/10000th of a second)

Any chance at re-shooting the last two indoors or something, (some other item to shoot is fine) so we can judge the 400/800 ISO settings?

nthanh61

Reaction score
These pictures were taken with my Droid X a few weeks ago indoor and they look fine. However I have others that were grainy. Correction, the first one was outdoor on a sunny day.

Last edited:

Balthazar B

Reaction score
The photos posted in this thread definitely suggest the lens on the DX is soft and probably uncoated. Would be interesting to run it through these paces:
Introduction: Lens Reviews: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

In addition, the colors lack punch (and by punch I don't mean extreme oversaturation, but strength and purity), which may be a consequence of the CCD, or simply of the lens washing out the photo.

just4747

Reaction score
nthanh61's photos in his last post on this page are actually somewhat decent, but overall, this camera seems to be a big disappointment. All other photo and video samples looks terrible.

And for people looking so forward to this phone for features such as the camera for one, that is depressing :/
I wish somebody could ask the Motorola guys from that conference why the cam is actually such **** lol.

C'mon, they gotta stop advertising the camera as being so great with 8 mp when it really sucks and the mp doesn't even really matter lol. You would think with this new flagship phone, they would really put the time and effort and hardware into each and every little bit of the phone, but I think we can confirm that they missed it with the cam for sure.
:icon_rolleyes:

Last edited: