Apple to 'ban iPhone gig filming' THIS IS WHY ANDROID IS THE BEST

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Apple to 'ban iPhone gig filming'

concert_682_1328706a.jpg
Ban ... Apple plans to stop iPhone users from being able to film during concerts like Take That's

IPHONE users may soon be stopped from filming at concerts — as a result of new Apple technology.

The leading computer company plans to build a system that will sense when people are trying to video live events — and turn off their cameras.
A patent application filed by Apple revealed how the technology would work.
If an iPhone were held up and used to film during a concert infra-red sensors would detect it.
These sensors would then contact the iPhone and automatically disable its camera function.
People would still be able to send text messages and make calls.
The new technology is seen as an attempt to protect the interests of event organisers and broadcasters who have exclusive rights to concerts.
The companies are often left frustrated when videos of shows appear online via websites such as YouTube which let users watch them for free.
Apple filed for the patent 18 months ago — and it is thought if successful it will help them negotiate deals with record labels to sell content through iTunes.

LT*

Reaction score
WOW, so what happens when you're trying to record your daughters dance recital and your iphone camera goes down because it thinks your at a concert?

jayman350

Reaction score
is this really a big deal that people are filming concerts and posting them online?

A video of a concert shot from an iphone is going to be the same experience as being in an arena? where the music, lights, etc completely surround you? I don't think so.

The only way that I could see this being detrimental to the artists is if they aren't putting on a good show in the first place. If you put on a good show and I see a clip of it online, guess what, its probably going to motivate me to get tickets so I can see the show in person.

will version 2 of this software turn off your camera, then send a message and gps signal to the RIAA giving them your exact location so they can hand deliver a lawsuit for unlawful filming?

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This is Mostly Just a way for Itunes to Bank money with Exclusive record lable releases for itunes & to Show all of us why we are smarter for using android devices

Bowtie

Reaction score
WOW, so what happens when you're trying to record your daughters dance recital and your iphone camera goes down because it thinks your at a concert?

You missed this part

If an iPhone were held up and used to film during a concert infra-red sensors would detect it.
These sensors would then contact the iPhone and automatically disable its camera function.

So there will be hardware on the stage that will be scanning for iPhone's, I seriously doubt that your daughters school will shell out the coin to pay for the technology to prevent you from recording.

What this tells me is that Apple will be able to detect the phone, pull info from it, then be able to contact the phone and disable functions in it, so what's going to stop hackers and thieves from reverse engineering it and getting into these phones and doing more than just turning the camera off.

droid doctor

Reaction score
Why is it such a big deal all of the concert videos suck anyways
Taken by phones anyways.^^

LT*

Reaction score

You missed this part

So there will be hardware on the stage that will be scanning for iPhone's, I seriously doubt that your daughters school will shell out the coin to pay for the technology to prevent you from recording.

What this tells me is that Apple will be able to detect the phone, pull info from it, then be able to contact the phone and disable functions in it, so what's going to stop hackers and thieves from reverse engineering it and getting into these phones and doing more than just turning the camera off.

You are correct, I did miss that...

gthotie5

Reaction score
Or I can cover the sensors with my finger? Lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought this was something new...lol. I read this on Engadget about a month ago.

One point someone made, say the concert is over. If the sensors are still on can you take any pictures or a video after the show while exiting the arena? I know most shows say no cameras allowed, but this could get in the way of harmless pic and video taking.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
OK but what if the police were to utilize this technology to not allow people to video them when they are out of control? US Govt/England and the rest of the not so free free world decide to incorporate this technology on every street corner in the name of safety to prevent terrorists from taking pictures or videos. It's a dangerous move by Apple.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I would like my phone to decide if the person on the other end of the conversation is worth talking to. If not, I want my phone to hang up on them. WTH?!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I can see a mass migration to android in the near future...
iPhone users have been...jobbed. :laugh:

joeshell20

Reaction score
OK but what if the police were to utilize this technology to not allow people to video them when they are out of control? US Govt/England and the rest of the not so free free world decide to incorporate this technology on every street corner in the name of safety to prevent terrorists from taking pictures or videos. It's a dangerous move by Apple.

+1

Sent from my go go gadget DROIDX. I wonder if the x3 will include an expresso maker?