Apple Rejects Samsung Settlement Offer in Australia to 'maintain the status quo'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-apple-grapple-no-settlement-aus.jpg

Recently, Samsung was attempting to work out a settlement deal with Apple in Australia regarding the patent infringement lawsuits. The details of the agreement were not given, but it would have allowed Samsung to begin selling the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as early as next week, and would have sped up the conclusion of the court proceedings. Unfortunately, Apple isn't having any of it, and has rejected the proposed settlement. Here is a quote from Apple's attorney Steven Burley,
"It is one we don't accept and there is no surprise. The main reason we are here is to prevent the launch and maintain the status quo."
That's a fairly blunt and unsurprising statement.

Samsung's attorneys indicated that this rejection makes any type of compromise or collaboration unlikely now. Here's a quote from the Engadget article,
Samsung's lawyers, meanwhile, acknowledged that the rejection now lessens the chances for any settlement at all, arguing that a truce "is not going to be achievable... given the positions advanced by each party," and that the litigation may extend well into 2012.

Source: Engadget

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I've read about the lawsuits but I have no idea what the drama is.

Is Apple suing Samsung because their products look "similar" to theirs or is there more to it?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Is Apple suing Samsung because their products look "similar" to theirs or is there more to it?

Apple said it is because of patent infringement but as you can see they don't want Samsung to release their product at all keeping their reign on the tablet environment. It's just clear now that apple didn't want to compromise on it, they want an all out block on Samsung in total. Which isn't really a surprise to many on the subject, but at least they are admitting it now. The only thing that it clarifies is that Samsung then won't relent on apple for using their patent infringement. It's a nice long game of cat and mouse until one wins.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish the court could rule timeouts for all parties involved. Everyone go sit and a corner and think about what you've done. Whether we agree with Apple or completely despise what they are doing, this all just looks silly now.

Willyammer

Reaction score

From what I've read, it is a bit of both and to be honest, I don't understand the similar look issue: I've seen cars that I could swear were Mercedes but it turned out to be a VW and then another similar look on a Hyundai.