Apple Pay vs Google Wallet

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
IF, and thats a big if, Google Wallet reemerges they will have Apple to thank. Apple, whether we choose to believe it or not, sets trends. Apple Pay will be excepted pretty much everywhere in 8 months (I predict).

It really is just a matter of time before you will be able to do everything (not literally everything) with an iPhone/Apple Watch. Put it this way, there won't be much you can't do with them.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
IF, and thats a big if, Google Wallet reemerges they will have Apple to thank. Apple, whether we choose to believe it or not, sets trends. Apple Pay will be excepted pretty much everywhere in 8 months (I predict).

It really is just a matter of time before you will be able to do everything (not literally everything) with an iPhone/Apple Watch. Put it this way, there won't be much you can't do with them.
Thats the part that ticks me off. If google would press vzw for the same.. Idk... Respect? That is given to apple... Alot of android ideas would take off imho..

shockracer

Reaction score
Companies and Apple users seem to think Apple is more secure then others. 99% of the Apple fans I speak to think Apple can't be hacked or get a virus. I can see this being why it will start to become more available again.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yep.. Apple is really secure.. All these nude pics prove that.. :)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Say goodbye to Androids market share. Apparently all four major carriers are offering the iPhone 6 for free. W T H?? (Mr Storm, maybe you could make that tomorrow's top headline) Well, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon are all confirmed. AT&T is expected to soon follow suit and make an announcement.
Freakin BlackBerry would make a comeback if THAT were the case! Unbelievable!
I guess Apple realized there was no way the could EARN back their lost market share being that they didn't really release anything other than a larger iPhone, so they decided let's just give everyone a new iPhone 6 and we'll steal it back.

tap'n on my S5

scott craft

Reaction score
Where did you see that the iphone 6 was going to be free? I was looking at Verizon and Apple's websites before going to bed last night and neither of them had the 6 for free.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Here's the thing that appeals to me about Apple Pay (horrible name): Apple, unlike Google, will NOT know what you are spending money on.
Now, I know you kids today don't give a rats a** about your prvacy, but that's always been an issue of mine and why I will not use Google Wallet.
I don't care that Amazon knows what I buy FROM Amazon. I don't care that the grocery store knows what I buy FROM them. But I do have an issue with Google knowing where I spend ALL my money. That's just too much.
Google certainly doesn't need to know how much wine I buy. :D

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
@PereDroid... Just about ALL companies sell your purchasing data. Visa, Mastercard, AE, all of the big CC companies monitor your habits to trade and sell them. That contract you signed to get your CC... welp, you just opt'd in. It really doesn't matter if you use your device to complete a purchase. On top of that, Apple is no different from Google. All of that stuff you agree to when you initialize your Android/Apple device for the first time... it's all a big "opt-in" screen. They monitor and glean your data and use it for their own purposes or sell it to 3rd parties for whatever they want. Just about all of the major apps monitor your habits in the background. It's a massive, MASSIVE industry that people just don't care about.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good point Dusty.
@PereDroid, you're using a Google based device, Google already knows much more about you than you may realize. Have you actually read Googles privacy policy lately. We give them access to basically everything just by signing up for an email account. Being the techy I like to think I am, if I intend to continue utilizing technology to my advantage and make my life easier, there has to be some give and take. I have to accept some level of openness and trust Google with my information. I've been doing the same with banks & credit card companies for decades, this is no different imo. As for Amazon, not everything you buy comes directly from Amazon as their partnership with third party vendors is what makes them who they are.
There will always be a certain level of risk involved, and unless you completely move to an all cash lifestyle, (which is next to impossible in this day and age) that will never change.

tap'n on my S5

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's wondering if the Apple Pay rollout is as interesting a popcorn-muncher as the Apple Maps rollout was...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
@PereDroid.Visa, Mastercard, AE, all of the big CC companies monitor your habits to trade and sell them. That contract you signed to get your CC... welp, you just opt'd in.

Actually this is NOT true. Credit Card companies are not, by federal law, allowed to even know WHAT you bought. The merchant does not send Visa a list of everything on that receipt.
They know WHERE I spent my money... but not what I bought.
""The issuing bank has the date of transaction, name of the merchant and the amount of the transaction that allows them to process that transaction," says Nessa Feddis, senior counsel and vice president of the American Bankers Association."

Read more: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-purchase-privacy-1282.php#ixzz3D2Ps1rw5

Now if the Google Wallet worked this way, I would be fine with it. I don't think it does. If I am not mistaken, GOOG DOES get a list of everything on that receipt which they can then datamine.
What you opt in to for CC companies is to allow them (and in many cases other companies) to market to you based on things like your address and marital status. NOT your purchases.
CC companies work much like the way Apple Pay does. You use your watch\phone, Apple sees nothing, the transaction is strictly between your CC company and the merchant. Apple merely facilitates the transaction. As it should be.
Google does NOT.
Therein lies the (to me) big difference.

Good point Dusty.
@PereDroid, you're using a Google based device, Google already knows much more about you than you may realize.
You KNOW I know this, of course. And for Google Now to be so helpful to me I am MORE then willing to share a lot of information with Google.
But I have, and will continue to draw the line, at my every day purchases. Because if I did use this system I would use it for absolutely everything.
And damnit... you want that info from me??? Pay me. :D

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Actually this is NOT true. Credit Card companies are not, by federal law, allowed to even know WHAT you bought. The merchant does not send Visa a list of everything on that receipt.arital status. NOT your purchases. :D

@PereDroid Visa may not know your individual item list but they sure as hell collect your data and distribute it to third parties who can do what they please. If you have a CC read their third party info distribution clause.