Apple Pay vs Google Wallet

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
apple-pay-designboomth1.jpg
google-wallet.jpg

NFC payments have been out for almost 2 years as it was introduced by Google with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Unfortunately between the lack of carriers and manufacturers getting behind the idea, Verizon not allowing it on their Nexus, merchants not set up to take advantage, and some growing pains on Google's part, it just did not get the spotlight that it deserved. Today Apple just announced Apple Pay which will use the secure element and NFC in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus to allow users to make payments from their device (including the Apple Watch). The iPhone 6 will register your fingerprint and send a signal from the top of the iPhone to the NFC touchpad at the register. Like Google Wallet you will be able to store bank cards on the device to be used for payments. It will be interesting to see if Apple Pay works as easy as they say.

Google Wallet was introduced two years ago with the Galaxy Nexus and though it has been a slow process getting merchants to warm up to the concept, Google continued to improve Wallet by allowing users to send money to other gmail accounts as well as carry a Google Wallet card for stores that are not set up for mobile payments. Now that merchants are gearing up to accept mobile payments for iPhone customers, can we see a reemergence of Google Wallet?

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
See that part of the iWatch gets me. They need that on the next Android watch, that would be awesome. I use my Nexus 5 to pay with GW whenever possible, just not enough merchants take it.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Wait Verizon does not let Nexus have NFC.. So what are they going to do with Iphone 6??

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Verizon allowed NFC, they just didn't allow the Google Wallet app to use NFC because they wanted you to use the Isis application.

Gremlin

Reaction score
can't edit.. So in that case they are going to allow Apple Pay than..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can't edit.. So in that case they are going to allow Apple Pay than..
Would think they would have to because apple do not allow carriers to mess with their software. That may make android fans cry foul but the reality is that apple and android manufacturers signed different agreements with the carriers and Apple is playing with a large stack of chips so they can say to the carrier "my way or no way". If android manufacturers together were to go to the carriers with the same demand then they may have a chance. But the reality is they do not care about Google wallet they way Google does plus manufacturers like HTC is trying to stay in the green so are less likely to hedge that bet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Google Wallet works just fine on my rooted Verizon S5, it worked on my rooted S3 as well. I did have to disable ISIS on my S5 though.

tap'n on my S5

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google Wallet works just fine on my rooted Verizon S5, it worked on my rooted S3 as well. I did have to disable ISIS on my S5 though.

tap'n on my S5

True, but you had to root to use it, it was not meant to work on your phone out of the box. Plus the % of people that root as you know is small. Plus with Samsung making unlocking phones more difficult people are less likely to go through the headache just to use Google wallet that works at a small number of merchants, especially since carriers offers an alternative and older generations are less likely to trust putting their cards on a smartphone.
But good point about rooting to be able to use wallet on Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
True. Overall it really isn't all that popular being how long It's been out.. I imagine that will change real soon though simply because Apple now has a similar function.

Staples intends to have Apple Pay setup and working in all of their stores nationwide by this fall. No exact date set yet, but that's huge.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
No need to root anymore to get Wallet to work.
It *WAS* required because Verizon wouldn't let anyone use the secure element built into the phone. This is because they are pushing ISIS (or whatever they are renaming it). Anyway, I can't see how Apple Pay is going to be a bad thing. It should also push adoption of Wallet. I can't see merchants adding NFC terminals and not supporting payment from all that want to pay with NFC.

With all the recent breaches, Wallet and Apple Pay are good things.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Here's what I encounter... It's not so much that NFC paying isn't "accepted" everywhere but the merchants that do have the systems in place have done such a half-arsed job of implementation. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to use the NFC option and the terminal wouldn't complete the sale. The phone and register terminal would acknowledge the NFC signal, and both the clerk and I would stand frozen for 20-30 seconds until the clerk would just look at me and say, "It's not doing anything." Even at a location where it works it isn't consistant. I use it at my nearby gas station's quick shop and sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't.

I'd bet a million dollars either the register isn't configured correctly or the clerk doesn't know what he/she is doing.

Unless Apple has solved this portion of the problem the Apple pay experience won't be any more prevalent or hassle free.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I find it most interesting that Best Buy doesn't have it set up properly, at least not at the one closest to me. They've got the terminals for it, but it doesn't work. But the c-stores around here do have it all set up and functional.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
NFC payments have been out for almost 2 years IN THE UNITED STATES as it was introduced by Google with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

*FIXED* Payments systems like this have been in Japan for almost ten years. ;)