App to Stop battery charging at <100%

delaneybob

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for an App similar to my Lenovo power manager on laptop that will stop charging at <100%- this saves life on my laptop battery (been doing it for years)

Any suggestions?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your phone's battery already does that

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
I saw some threads stating this but can you point to a link from Motorola that states this?

Is it configurable?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I saw some threads stating this but can you point to a link from Motorola that states this?

Is it configurable?

It's a feature of the lithium-ion battery

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Lithium Batteries

I looked at the posting here
Charging Lithium-ion &ndash; Battery University

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

This is what I experienced in my Lenovo laptop LI-IO batteries to prolong life- only charge to 92-95% and only allow charging when <75%

And here
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cell life
Charging forms deposits inside the electrolyte that inhibit ion transport. Over time, the cell's capacity diminishes. The increase in internal resistance reduces the cell's ability to deliver current. This problem is more pronounced in high-current applications. The decrease means that older batteries do not charge as much as new ones (charging time required decreases proportionally).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're misinterpeting and making the common mistake of assuming that a coincidental relationship is causal.

As stated above, all Li ion cells have circuitry to prevent overcharging. The brand does not matter.

Partial charging isn't better for Li ion. Partial charges are not detrimental (there's a very important difference) as there's no memory effect as there was with older cell tech like NiCad. If you partially charged a NiCad cell you'd lose battery life. With Li ion you can top off (partial charge) as needed.

Now, if you're referring to partial charges being better than fully draining and recharging Li ion then you're correct but that's not what you asked about in your OP. Fully draining a Li ion cell can cause damage and/or reduce the life of the battery.

Li ion cells do have a limited number of charge cycles. The process you propose above will eat into the charge cycles left for your cells by more frequently charging. You'd have to replace your batteries more often if you use more charge cycles.

Last edited:

Junipo

Reaction score
Partial charging isn't better for Li ion. Partial charges are not detrimental (there's a very important difference) as there's no memory effect as there was with older cell tech like NiCad. If you partially charged a NiCad cell you'd lose battery life. With Li ion you can top off (partial charge) as needed.

Right

Li ion cells do have a limited number of charge cycles.

What you mean is, Li ion cells do have a limited number of charge cycles, but degradation through charging is minimal compared to capacity loss due to factors like time. Li ion life is determined by time -- they degrade over time, period -- and by how well they're treated as far as charging and discharging. And slightly undercharging, say following a CC/CV algorithm to 4.1V instead of 4.2V, will definitely extend the life of your battery while sacrificing a little runtime. Good Li ions can take 1000 cycles, which will take most people years, by which time alone will have killed the cell.

The process you propose above will eat into the charge cycles left for your cells by more frequently charging. You'd have to replace your batteries more often if you use more charge cycles.

I've never found number of charge cycles to be a killer on li ion, those are properties of nimh batteries. The bigger dangers to most Li ion batteries, besides time and over-discharging, is that the proper charging procedure calls for true charge termination at the end of the charging cycle, and instead from what I can tell most chargers are trickle charging, directly against cell manufacturer recommendations and at the cost of battery time.

Last edited:
OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Junipo- Not being very knowledgable on the particulars- what you state is my experience with Li-ion on my laptop. So it appears there is no app to mimic the attached functions of lenovo tostop charging when the battery is in the mid 90's of charge and only to charge when it drops <75%

magnacharge

Reaction score
not sure

Is it configurable?

It's a feature of the lithium-ion battery

ok...while i have heard that this is a feature of an LI battery, if that is the case, why is it that when my Samsung Charge is fully charged, it beeps, and says "remove from charger"?

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Some say it's to conserve power from the conversion from the Wall to the power cord. I still want an app that stops the charge at 95%. I am nto convinced based on my LI-IO experiences with my lenovo laptop battery that it's not a good idea