Is this killing my batteries life span?

johnnydiamond08

Reaction score
Hello,
I own a Droid Razr, and have been using the app PDANet in order to use my phones data connection for internet access for my laptop. The phone gets extremely hot because it is charging white it's plugged into my computer. My concern is if I used this as my primary means of internet access for my laptop will my Razr's battery over all life cycle be shortened, and stop holding its charge?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm pretty sure that the heat you're feeling is the ti omap processor and not the battery.

Heat does take away from the batteries life.. but its the nature of the beast with these devices...

Check this out... you'll see what I mean. :D

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
[video=youtube;4mSD_EhgGSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mSD_EhgGSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

OP
J

johnnydiamond08

Reaction score
Awesome video! My plan was to make a small fan and rest my phone on it while using PDANet. Do you think this would prevent against over all damaging my phones battery life. Or should I really not be worried about it? Mind you being a Computer Science major I use it for hours at a time.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
IMHO... the heat from the processor can cause battery swell and that "could" lead to cracking the amoled screen from the inside...

So a fan would definitely help..IMHO.
.your device has thermal protection built in, but its failed others... :blink:

But I think you'll be alright with the fan..

Is it in a case? Otterbox or anything? If so, when you use it for tethering, you might consider removing it until you're done..

Another thing... could your computer tether via wifi?

If so you might look into foxfi, its a free wifi tethering app. Then you could plug your phone in via the factory wall charger, which may also help you. :D

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the temperature of 124 degrees fahrenheit has been listed as the point where damage starts to occur to the circuit board. When I am charging and using my Bionic for gps and music player, my phone heats up big time. In a pinch I have taken the phone off the back and held the phone up to the air conditioner. Just realize that you can cause damage to the phone because of condensation. If you keep it cool from the beginning it should not be a problem.