App to remove Advertisements on other apps

flameboy

Reaction score
mmm, just installed this app.

i like the concept but now there are just "website not found" errors in place of the ads. Dunno which is better. The errors are kind of annoying looking.

Couldn't agree more!

There's gotta be some place where that error page is stored on the phone. Then we could just replace it with a black or white box

josg21

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the developers that make these apps, need the ads. When a developer makes a free app, the only way they get paid is through the little bit of ad revenue they make. And that by removing them, your only screwing the developer?

TimChgo9

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the developers that make these apps, need the ads. When a developer makes a free app, the only way they get paid is through the little bit of ad revenue they make. And that by removing them, your only screwing the developer?

I was thinking the same thing... The ads that I have seen in my apps are almost unobtrusive. In fact, I didn't realize a couple of the apps had ads until I had them a couple of days. They aren't like pop-ups on your PC that get in the way of what you are doing... they are little banner ads at the bottom of the screen. Since I have downloaded "lite" or "free" versions, I can deal with the ads, until I can purchase the full versions of these apps. (Money is tight right now) Many of the developers make "free" versions of their apps to be supported by ads so that more people can utilize their creation, and hopefully be impressed enough to purchase the full version, and the ads generate a little bit (and I do mean a little bit) of revenue for the developer to cover the cost of creating the applications. (They are paid by the "click" in some cases, I think) Removing the ads cuts into their revenue stream...If you can afford the 99 cents or 2 dollars, then purchase the full version, if you can't then put up with the ads... they aren't that bad. ......... yet.

Humorous note: One of the ads was for AT&T and their iPhone...."click here for more info"... I thought it was funny seeing that on a Droid.....

CatsTide

Reaction score
you do realize that an app developer or someone who is paying an app developer to have his ad on their app have no idea whether you are seeing the app or blocking it don't you?

josg21

Reaction score
you do realize that an app developer or someone who is paying an app developer to have his ad on their app have no idea whether you are seeing the app or blocking it don't you?

devs get paid more for click throughs then just views. by blocking the ad, you prevent that from happening.

CatsTide

Reaction score

devs get paid more for click throughs then just views. by blocking the ad, you prevent that from happening.
well i'm screwing the dev's any way then...i have NEVER clicked an ad on an app...

josg21

Reaction score

well i'm screwing the dev's any way then...i have NEVER clicked an ad on an app...

i guess so

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep, AdFree rocks.

But there's a few things I've learned from installing it several times after installing different ROMs. The app is a little quirky at first. Here's what to expect...

The first time you run it, you'll be asked to give it su permission, just click remember and allow. Then press the back button to get out of AdFree.

The second time you run AdFree, it'll tell you it has updates and take you to the next screen. At the top, tap 'Download and Install Hosts'. Typically, you're going to get a Java error. Just press the back button, and tap 'Download and Install Hosts' a second time. This time, it should go through and you're all set. It'll tell you that you need to reboot, but you don't have to. I never did.

Hope this helps...

SWEET, thanks, I was getting annoyed that no matter what I did it wouldn't update, lol. Working perfect now, thanks.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yep, never clicked on one, so we're not really screwing the developers. Beside I use the program more to block the adds in my web-browser(s) than anything (seeing that most of my apps have been paid for in-app ads aren't really a problem for me).

d3cr3ed

Reaction score
Adfree

For some odd reason i am not getting the option to allow superuser to use Adfree for Android, Could you please help me?