App to remove Advertisements on other apps

Blackout

Reaction score
I saw someone mention having an app to remove adverts on other apps (required Root) I downloaded it while i was at work today and when I came home I Rooted my phone and installed BB, Soo, i lost that app.... does anyone know what app it is? ive tried googling it and searching on the app store but have had no luck

blake2050

Reaction score
If you did a nandroid restore to get BB then you could always back that up and restore to your first rom, extract the .apk for the app to sdcard, restore back to BB and move the .apk to phone. =)

adbnist

Reaction score
Market > Search > "AdFree Android"

Run it to patch your HOSTS file to block ads.

messenger13

Reaction score
Yep, AdFree rocks.

But there's a few things I've learned from installing it several times after installing different ROMs. The app is a little quirky at first. Here's what to expect...

The first time you run it, you'll be asked to give it su permission, just click remember and allow. Then press the back button to get out of AdFree.

The second time you run AdFree, it'll tell you it has updates and take you to the next screen. At the top, tap 'Download and Install Hosts'. Typically, you're going to get a Java error. Just press the back button, and tap 'Download and Install Hosts' a second time. This time, it should go through and you're all set. It'll tell you that you need to reboot, but you don't have to. I never did.

Hope this helps...

OP
Blackout

Blackout

Reaction score
Yep, AdFree rocks.

But there's a few things I've learned from installing it several times after installing different ROMs. The app is a little quirky at first. Here's what to expect...

The first time you run it, you'll be asked to give it su permission, just click remember and allow. Then press the back button to get out of AdFree.

The second time you run AdFree, it'll tell you it has updates and take you to the next screen. At the top, tap 'Download and Install Hosts'. Typically, you're going to get a Java error. Just press the back button, and tap 'Download and Install Hosts' a second time. This time, it should go through and you're all set. It'll tell you that you need to reboot, but you don't have to. I never did.

Hope this helps...

thx worked word for word like you described, so much nicer without ads on my aps

OP
Blackout

Blackout

Reaction score
Also thank you everyone else for the help, im glad i could find it

PhillySteve

Reaction score
I went to install this and it states this is only for phones that are rooted. Has anyone installed it with an unrooted phone??

Big Lou

Reaction score
Sure, you can install it, but it won't do anything without su permission.

DroidxRage

Reaction score
@Big Lou - great job on the site man... very helpful

Also, when I open AdFree, it said "Please wait while I determine if the local hosts file is up to date".. and just sits there and doesn't look like its doing much... I had to go to menu, and choose the FAQ option, and back out real quick before I got the option to update. Then the instructions worked like mentioned.

Just an FYI in case anyone gets hung up. :)

texasPI

Reaction score
I went to install this and it states this is only for phones that are rooted. Has anyone installed it with an unrooted phone??

If it says you need root why do you think you can get around that?

Btw, been using this app for a long time and I love it!

Se7enLC

Reaction score
That app is a great idea, but a piece of junk. 9 times out of 10 it fails with the same java EOF error. I uninstalled it and just copied my own host file over. Much easier.

naman919

Reaction score
mmm, just installed this app.

i like the concept but now there are just "website not found" errors in place of the ads. Dunno which is better. The errors are kind of annoying looking.