App and memory

justcallmefred

Reaction score
Is there an option to store more of the app info onto the sd card? Maybe I'm stuck, but I was hoping for more. Seems to me there there isn't a whole lot of memory for apps.I don't feel like I have that many ( and I know some are bigger than others), but I am constantly getting bugged about memory getting too low.When the OS upgrade came out a few days ago I had to delete around 10 apps, no joking.It's pathetic, and if I had known there was this type of limitation I may have opted for a different phone :( . I have an Eris

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Is there an option to store more of the app info onto the sd card? Maybe I'm stuck, but I was hoping for more. Seems to me there there isn't a whole lot of memory for apps.I don't feel like I have that many ( and I know some are bigger than others), but I am constantly getting bugged about memory getting too low.When the OS upgrade came out a few days ago I had to delete around 10 apps, no joking.It's pathetic, and if I had known there was this type of limitation I may have opted for a different phone :( . I have an Eris

This was answered in another thread but here you go. The Eris is currently updated to Android 2.1. With the introduction of Android version 2.2 what you are asking will be capable but it is unknown as to whether or not Android 2.2 will officially be released for the Eris as it is a discontinued device. Now with that being said YOU have a few choices.

1. Wait and see if Android 2.2 officially comes to the Eris

2. Root you phone and install a custom ROM that has Apps2SD which will do exactly what you are asking for.

3. Buy a new phone that will be getting 2.2. Nexus One and Motorola Droid are guaranteed to receive it. The new HTC phones that were released in 2010 as stated by HTC should be getting it.

There you have it.

OP
J

justcallmefred

Reaction score
I no nothing about "Root you phone and install a custom ROM that has Apps2SD " , sounds Greek to me. All I was asking was if there was any default option I was overlooking that would allow me to free up storage memory.

If there is an update, when is it scheduled...and will it improve the OS?

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
I no nothing about "Root you phone and install a custom ROM that has Apps2SD " , sounds Greek to me. All I was asking was if there was any default option I was overlooking that would allow me to free up storage memory.

If there is an update, when is it scheduled...and will it improve the OS?

The latest update is to Android 2.1 which is the same thing that the Moto Droid, Incredible and other newer devices are running. As for overlooking anything, nope, it just doesn't exist in Android 2.1 in its' stock form so you are out of luck. As for a future update to Android 2.2 which will have the feature you are looking for I highly doubt it. Which is why I made the suggestions I did.

OP
J

justcallmefred

Reaction score
O.k. now I know. If I was to "Root the phone" , is there any problems I could run into? If/when a new upgrade comes out will it need to be done again? I'll search the site on how to Root

Last edited:

xfeathersx

Reaction score
Justcallme fred...

Install task killer, shut the apps down your not running all the time...Its free and easy and you will gain back a majority of your memory...

OP
J

justcallmefred

Reaction score
Justcallme fred...

Install task killer, shut the apps down your not running all the time...Its free and easy and you will gain back a majority of your memory...

But this doesn't add more memory to install more apps does it?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Justcallme fred...

But this doesn't add more memory to install more apps does it?

No it does not. It will also hinder rather than help the overall performance of your device assuming you are running Android 1.6 or greater. If you are having some slowness problems the first thing to do would be a factory reset which will wipe the data off of the device. The next step is to install critical applications that you NEED from the market and see how performance is. If performance is good download the other apps on your device one at a time and see how the phone works. Chances are any slowness you were experiencing was due to a bad application. If after you install an application and the performance takes a hit. Uninstall that application, reboot the phone and see how things work.

People are very quick to come to the conclusion that the Operating System or device is at fault when 99% of the time it is a bad application that is causing issues. Remember because the market is open to every dev means that some applications aren't going to be coded correctly and will cause or spawn runaway processes and/or memory leaks. It is up to you to remove that application and inform the dev of the problem so it can be corrected if the dev see's fit to.

PriestSyrinx

Reaction score
I would also add that clearing the cache in certain applications from time to time will also help free up memory. I've had my browser taking up as much as 15mb in cache alone.

PRince

Reaction score
i have done all of this and am noticing a slight improvement. The phone is less laggy but i am currently turning my phone on and off because when i call or recieve calls i will not be able to hear people and vice versa for the person on the other line