Does Eris have 256mb of Apps Memory?

noles200

Reaction score
I switched from Moto Droid to Eris. I thought the Eris had 256mb of memory for apps. Apparently it does not.

I installed about 20 or so apps and one is called Infodroid (which I had on the Moto Droid). It tells me I have 105 of 159mb of space left. What happend to the other 97mb of space. All the specs on this Eris say that it has the same as Droid but it doesn't add up. Does SenseUI take up 97mb of app space. If it does I may just go back to Moto Droid (but I'm really liking the size of this compared to Droid).

Please help me understand where my 256mb went.....or explain why it's not 256mb when everything I read tells me it is.

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
Yeah, with the card why isn't it 8gigs?

Internal RAM on my phone says 159mb. Based on everything I've read it should say 256mb.

My SD card is 8gig (shows a little less - maybe 7.75gig which is generally how it works).

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
On phone with HTC rep as I write this. She has no idea why either? She's even deleting stuff of a device to see how much she can get back and is only up to 144. I'm convinced this does not have the same internal memory as the Droid. That's not good. You'll run out of space quick if you install apps that take up a few gig at a time, keep mail, have lots of contacts, etc, etc.

My next conversation, I guess, will be with VZW but I'm thinking I'll get the same answer. Yuck.

On phone with VZW and they don't know why this is either.

People, am I the only one who is concerned that this phone only has 159mb of free memory for Apps?

If so I suspect that some will be concerned in the coming months when they run out of space for apps. Remember, these phones have a ton of power and apps will begin to get larger and take up more space.

I can't believe BGR, Engadget, etc, etc never really noticed this big flaw and maybe even false advertising. I say that only because both companies HTC and VZW don't have answers. The VZW rep even said to go to BBB. LMAO. I don't think that's needed, I just think they may need to change their spec sheet if this can't be figured out.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Maybe the 159 is available memory...All the stock apps have to go somewhere...You know, SMS, Phone...ect...

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
Maybe the 159 is available memory...All the stock apps have to go somewhere...You know, SMS, Phone...ect...

Thought the same thing but that's not the case. Available memory is 105. Total memory says 159mb.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Might get an answer Here....

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
The answer is.........nobody knows why it only shows 159. HTC doesn't know, VZW Tech Support doesn't know and now the VZW store customer support doesn't know. Of all the people, the people in the store actually tried to "BS" me about it having 288mb (as stated) and it's just the amount of memory used for the operating system that drained it down to 159mb. Do you believe they'd say that! And that was AFTER I told them I spoke to both HTC and VZW Tech Support.

Long story short, I got a Droid again as I just feel I'd end up running out of space within 3 to 6 months. This was not without incident because the store first said they couldn't take it back, then they said they would have to charge me $35. I called VZW and the noted on my account the issue and not only did they not charge me the $35, but refunded me back the $35 for the original switch. Just goes to show, stick with your first choice. :)

For those of you with an ERIS I'd beware of this issue. If you are not doing too much and not downloading too many apps you'll be fine but you may be very disappointed in the next 3 to 6 months if you run out of internal RAM.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The answer is.........nobody knows why it only shows 159. HTC doesn't know, VZW Tech Support doesn't know and now the VZW store customer support doesn't know. Of all the people, the people in the store actually tried to "BS" me about it having 288mb (as stated) and it's just the amount of memory used for the operating system that drained it down to 159mb. Do you believe they'd say that! And that was AFTER I told them I spoke to both HTC and VZW Tech Support.

Long story short, I got a Droid again as I just feel I'd end up running out of space within 3 to 6 months. This was not without incident because the store first said they couldn't take it back, then they said they would have to charge me $35. I called VZW and the noted on my account the issue and not only did they not charge me the $35, but refunded me back the $35 for the original switch. Just goes to show, stick with your first choice. :)

For those of you with an ERIS I'd beware of this issue. If you are not doing too much and not downloading too many apps you'll be fine but you may be very disappointed in the next 3 to 6 months if you run out of internal RAM.

512MB ROM / 288MB RAM As stated from HTC's website. I guess the people selling the phones don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about. The amount of storage on the phone is NOT 288MB.. that's how much ram your apps and system have to use. The 512MB is the amount of TOTAL space you have on the phone. They don't however tell you how much ROM space you have to store stuff like apps on, well to that matter neither does motorola.

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
512MB ROM / 288MB RAM As stated from HTC's website. I guess the people selling the phones don't seem to have a clue what they are talking about. The amount of storage on the phone is NOT 288MB.. that's how much ram your apps and system have to use. The 512MB is the amount of TOTAL space you have on the phone. They don't however tell you how much ROM space you have to store stuff like apps on, well to that matter neither does motorola.

I get what you're saying but it should show more than 159mb. For instance, on my Droid right now it's showing 234mb free, 256 total memory. Now, if the ERIS is only giving 159mb of the 512MB of space. The only difference that I know of on these phones is SenseUI and 1.5 as opposed to 2.0. So are you saying SenseUI takes up almost 100mb of the 512mb of total space on the phone. If so I'll Stick with Droid which gives me more free memory to use for apps. :icon_ banana:

Thank you to all for the education. i admit that I don't know much about this. All I want to do is make sure I've got the most possible space available for external apps.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I get what you're saying but it should show more than 159mb. For instance, on my Droid right now it's showing 234mb free, 256 total memory. Now, if the ERIS is only giving 159mb of the 512MB of space. The only difference that I know of on these phones is SenseUI and 1.5 as opposed to 2.0. So are you saying SenseUI takes up almost 100mb of the 512mb of total space on the phone. If so I'll Stick with Droid which gives me more free memory to use for apps. :icon_ banana:

Thank you to all for the education. i admit that I don't know much about this. All I want to do is make sure I've got the most possible space available for external apps.

Yeah see the problem is that eris doesn't state how much it's total space for running apps is. It could just be showing you how much is on the phone, not showing you how much is total for that specific partition if there is a specific partition. The droid will only show 256MB, because it's partitioned in 2 separate allotments of ROM space. It sounds like to me that HTC is screwing up the amount of ROM in that specific folder for apps and games. There showing total, but not total allotted for that folder / partition area. (however they do it)

OP
N

noles200

Reaction score
Yeah see the problem is that eris doesn't state how much it's total space for running apps is. It could just be showing you how much is on the phone, not showing you how much is total for that specific partition if there is a specific partition. The droid will only show 256MB, because it's partitioned in 2 separate allotments of ROM space. It sounds like to me that HTC is screwing up the amount of ROM in that specific folder for apps and games. There showing total, but not total allotted for that folder / partition area. (however they do it)

This education is great New2u. Thank you so much. You have really helped clear this up for me (and so did onion on androidforums). Why wouldn't HTC allow more ROM for apps and games? When I looked at my available internal memory and saw it was 105mb I thought it had to be wrong. I found an app called InfoDroid that showed battery status, SD memory free and total and Internal memory free and total. Noticed on the Droid it shows 261mb of total memory for me and 238 available (just installed on this phone).

Keep it coming. I love learning about this. :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Out of 256MB internal ROM storage on the droid i still have 173MB free. I have 51 Apps installed. So that's 1.62 MB average installed apps. I have like 3-4 that are 3-7MB so that's why. Either way that's a good amount of apps installed. And still WAY much more storage to use lol.