Anyone own the Droid 2 Global?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Where the heck did you find a D2G for 40 bucks on contract? I had to pay 249 for mine, from a verizon store (ordering online is not an option for me)

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

biknut1

Reaction score
D2g

Pattikate-

Like your friend I came from a regular phone into the smartphone world- with a D2G. I may never use the global part of it, but did want an external keyboard. The day I went into Verizon for it, they said the D2 was no longer available. They never mentioned a D1, nor did I see one there.

I was very disappointed with it until last week. (I purchased it a week before Christmas.) The stock battery wouldn't last but a very few hours with very little use. I tried everything I could find without rooting. I downloaded apps, tweaked settings, deleted widgets and apps, still no luck. My phone would loose 10% every 2 hours at work with absolutely no usage.

I finally rooted it and installed Fission ROM 2.4.3. Still no luck with the battery. I tried a free cpu manager but didn't know how to adjust the settings correctly. Then I read NiceGuysFinishLast's write-up on these forums. At his suggestion, I installed SetCPU and used his settings.

Now the phone lasts like I expected it to at first. With the same usage as pre-rooting, I now leave work with 50% or more left compared to 20% or less before.

The funny thing is, I hear so many different people with so many different stories about their batteries. It seems that no 2 people get the same amount of time out of their batteries, no matter how much usage they have.

So tell your friend- maybe you will get good battery life, maybe not! I'm sure there are settings that can make much difference. This is new to me, so I don't know what to do with some of them.

Good luck for your friend! Hope this helps a little.

OP
P

pattikate

Reaction score
Pattikate-

Like your friend I came from a regular phone into the smartphone world- with a D2G. I may never use the global part of it, but did want an external keyboard. The day I went into Verizon for it, they said the D2 was no longer available. They never mentioned a D1, nor did I see one there.

I was very disappointed with it until last week. (I purchased it a week before Christmas.) The stock battery wouldn't last but a very few hours with very little use. I tried everything I could find without rooting. I downloaded apps, tweaked settings, deleted widgets and apps, still no luck. My phone would loose 10% every 2 hours at work with absolutely no usage.

I finally rooted it and installed Fission ROM 2.4.3. Still no luck with the battery. I tried a free cpu manager but didn't know how to adjust the settings correctly. Then I read NiceGuysFinishLast's write-up on these forums. At his suggestion, I installed SetCPU and used his settings.

Now the phone lasts like I expected it to at first. With the same usage as pre-rooting, I now leave work with 50% or more left compared to 20% or less before.

The funny thing is, I hear so many different people with so many different stories about their batteries. It seems that no 2 people get the same amount of time out of their batteries, no matter how much usage they have.

So tell your friend- maybe you will get good battery life, maybe not! I'm sure there are settings that can make much difference. This is new to me, so I don't know what to do with some of them.

Good luck for your friend! Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for sharing, it's appreciated!

Well, I don't think my friend would root his phone (he's not very tech savvy). He'd probably just tweak the settings for battery usage (lower brightness, shut off GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI, unckeck apps there are running in background, etc.) but even by doing that he's concerned he may not get more than a few hours with normal usage. Maybe he needs to re-think and get himself a different phone.....:unsure:

draexo

Reaction score
If he can tweak the settings he can root the phone ... it is easy. Just use z4root. It is very easy.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

biknut1

Reaction score
D2g

Thanks for sharing, it's appreciated!

Well, I don't think my friend would root his phone (he's not very tech savvy). He'd probably just tweak the settings for battery usage (lower brightness, shut off GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI, unckeck apps there are running in background, etc.) but even by doing that he's concerned he may not get more than a few hours with normal usage. Maybe he needs to re-think and get himself a different phone.....:unsure:

I agree with the other posts- rooting really is easy with z4root. Then you can install SetCPU, and Wireless Tether. If that's all your friend desires, he can stop there. The only downside is voiding the warranty.

BTW- I have noticed that the phone gets warm, but heat has never been an issue for me.