Anyone own the Droid 2 Global?

pattikate

Reaction score
A friend is considering upgrading to Droid 2 Global, but is having second thoughts now. Apparently there have been reports of owners claiming the D2G has issues, including the unit heating up a lot during moderate use and the battery life is the worst. So I'd like to get unbiased opinions from owners of the Droid 2 Global. Has anyone experienced those (or any other ) issues? Or are those reports exaggerated? Maybe he should reconsider and get the Droid X???? Opinions would be appreciated!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I have one.

It's a good phone. Have had it for about 3 months now. Only time mine heats up is when wirelessly tether it for a while, or use the GPS in the car while streaming pandora. But never from just browsing the web for a bit or making a few phone calls.

The battery life does seem shorter than other phones, but this is a 1.2 GHz phone while the rest are 600 Mhz or 1 GHz, with the same type of battery. If he roots it, he could always underclock it to 300 Mhz when the screen is off, or get the extended battery (that I purchased as well).

Though I do recommend he wait for a newer phone that will come out soon. Does your friend liek using roms on his phone? If so, then he should probably stay away as there arent many roms for the phone compared to the Droid 1. Stock is fine too, but at this point I almost which I wouldve waited and got a better phone as I don't use the phone out of state, so the global features dont do anything for me, and I'm kind of sick of motorola phones.

OP
P

pattikate

Reaction score
I have one.

It's a good phone. Have had it for about 3 months now. Only time mine heats up is when wirelessly tether it for a while, or use the GPS in the car while streaming pandora. But never from just browsing the web for a bit or making a few phone calls.

The battery life does seem shorter than other phones, but this is a 1.2 GHz phone while the rest are 600 Mhz or 1 GHz, with the same type of battery. If he roots it, he could always underclock it to 300 Mhz when the screen is off, or get the extended battery (that I purchased as well).

Though I do recommend he wait for a newer phone that will come out soon. Does your friend liek using roms on his phone? If so, then he should probably stay away as there arent many roms for the phone compared to the Droid 1. Stock is fine too, but at this point I almost which I wouldve waited and got a better phone as I don't use the phone out of state, so the global features dont do anything for me, and I'm kind of sick of motorola phones.

Thanks so much for the info. The D2G sounds cool to me. Basically, my friend is new to the smartphone world. He'd be upgrading from a basic feature phone. He just wants the portability of the Internet, entertainment features like music and downloadable apps and he likes the idea of a physical keyboard. Doesn't do anything complicated or technical though. He's not sure if the stock battery that is included with the Droid 2 Global would be sufficient for all that? (He makes about 1-2 hours of phone calls a day, might play a game or two and browse the 'net a bit during the day.)

If he waited for a new model, like the HTC Thunderbolt, he's concerned about incurring extra data charges...:icon_eek: or would it be the same $29.99 for unlimited data? I'm not sure myself.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I have one.

Thanks so much for the info. The D2G sounds cool to me. Basically, my friend is new to the smartphone world. He'd be upgrading from a basic feature phone. He just wants the portability of the Internet, entertainment features like music and downloadable apps and he likes the idea of a physical keyboard. Doesn't do anything complicated or technical though. He's not sure if the stock battery that is included with the Droid 2 Global would be sufficient for all that? (He makes about 1-2 hours of phone calls a day, might play a game or two and browse the 'net a bit during the day.)

If he waited for a new model, like the HTC Thunderbolt, he's concerned about incurring extra data charges...:icon_eek: or would it be the same $29.99 for unlimited data? I'm not sure myself.
Verizon announced that 4G will also be $29.99 for unlimited data, but it's possible they'll raise it eventually, but not for the time being.

Yeah it sounds like the phone would at least last him all day. I charge it in the car as well so that helps it last a little longer throughout the day if I'm driving around. It's a great phone and I'm sure he'll enjoy it, especially if he's coming from a regular non-smartphone.

If he is interested in the extended battery though, it lasts about 20- 25% longer than the original battery. So if he gets the phone and feels like it should last a few more hours, I definitely suggest he get it.

turnpike

Reaction score
only real reason to get a droid global is if your going to be traveling and need a GSM phone, there are very minor differences between the droid and D2G

as for battery life with normal usage the D2G i believe is rated for 6.5 hrs while the droid is 8.0 give or take....it's due to the extra processor speed

youngkyl50

Reaction score
I really like my D2G. The battery life could be a little better but by flashing liberty and fission, having a task killer, and underclocking when not in use I can get about 8-10 hours of battery on a normal day. Just got to charge every night which I would do anyway.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
only real reason to get a droid global is if your going to be traveling and need a GSM phone

Or of you prefer a physical keyboard instead of a virtual one I suppose....

the 1st edition droid is still available and has a keyboard
Unless the person is only interested in roms, there's no reason to get the d1 over the d2g. She already stated the owner isn't interested in roms. I got this phone for $40 3 months ago. I'd imagine it's even free at this point with a 2 year contract, and if not, $40 isn't bad at all.

Reaction score
I really like my D2G. The battery life could be a little better but by flashing liberty and fission, having a task killer, and underclocking when not in use I can get about 8-10 hours of battery on a normal day. Just got to charge every night which I would do anyway.

If you're using a task killer on either liberty or fission, you're doing it wrong. Task killers hurt your battery life, not help them. Especially on blurless ROMs like those.

sniper6

Reaction score

turnpike

Reaction score
go to a retail verizon store...D1, D2 and D2G all available as of 2/15 (last time i was in a store)

youngkyl50

Reaction score

If you're using a task killer on either liberty or fission, you're doing it wrong. Task killers hurt your battery life, not help them. Especially on blurless ROMs like those.

Thanks I uninstalled it and you were right the battery lasts much longer appreciate ie