1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Anyone own the Droid 2 Global?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by pattikate, Feb 19, 2011.

1. pattikate

pattikate New Member

A friend is considering upgrading to Droid 2 Global, but is having second thoughts now. Apparently there have been reports of owners claiming the D2G has issues, including the unit heating up a lot during moderate use and the battery life is the worst. So I'd like to get unbiased opinions from owners of the Droid 2 Global. Has anyone experienced those (or any other ) issues? Or are those reports exaggerated? Maybe he should reconsider and get the Droid X???? Opinions would be appreciated!
  2. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

I have one.

It's a good phone. Have had it for about 3 months now. Only time mine heats up is when wirelessly tether it for a while, or use the GPS in the car while streaming pandora. But never from just browsing the web for a bit or making a few phone calls.

The battery life does seem shorter than other phones, but this is a 1.2 GHz phone while the rest are 600 Mhz or 1 GHz, with the same type of battery. If he roots it, he could always underclock it to 300 Mhz when the screen is off, or get the extended battery (that I purchased as well).

Though I do recommend he wait for a newer phone that will come out soon. Does your friend liek using roms on his phone? If so, then he should probably stay away as there arent many roms for the phone compared to the Droid 1. Stock is fine too, but at this point I almost which I wouldve waited and got a better phone as I don't use the phone out of state, so the global features dont do anything for me, and I'm kind of sick of motorola phones.
  3. pattikate

pattikate New Member

Thanks so much for the info. The D2G sounds cool to me. Basically, my friend is new to the smartphone world. He'd be upgrading from a basic feature phone. He just wants the portability of the Internet, entertainment features like music and downloadable apps and he likes the idea of a physical keyboard. Doesn't do anything complicated or technical though. He's not sure if the stock battery that is included with the Droid 2 Global would be sufficient for all that? (He makes about 1-2 hours of phone calls a day, might play a game or two and browse the 'net a bit during the day.)

If he waited for a new model, like the HTC Thunderbolt, he's concerned about incurring extra data charges...:icon_eek: or would it be the same $29.99 for unlimited data? I'm not sure myself.
  4. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

Verizon announced that 4G will also be $29.99 for unlimited data, but it's possible they'll raise it eventually, but not for the time being.

Yeah it sounds like the phone would at least last him all day. I charge it in the car as well so that helps it last a little longer throughout the day if I'm driving around. It's a great phone and I'm sure he'll enjoy it, especially if he's coming from a regular non-smartphone.

If he is interested in the extended battery though, it lasts about 20- 25% longer than the original battery. So if he gets the phone and feels like it should last a few more hours, I definitely suggest he get it.
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Relocated to correct area.
  6. turnpike

turnpike New Member

only real reason to get a droid global is if your going to be traveling and need a GSM phone, there are very minor differences between the droid and D2G

as for battery life with normal usage the D2G i believe is rated for 6.5 hrs while the droid is 8.0 give or take....it's due to the extra processor speed
  7. Asphyx

Asphyx New Member

You can get some very decent battery life if you root and us SetCpu
  8. pattikate

pattikate New Member

Or of you prefer a physical keyboard instead of a virtual one I suppose....
  9. turnpike

turnpike New Member

the 1st edition droid is still available and has a keyboard
  10. youngkyl50

youngkyl50 New Member

I really like my D2G. The battery life could be a little better but by flashing liberty and fission, having a task killer, and underclocking when not in use I can get about 8-10 hours of battery on a normal day. Just got to charge every night which I would do anyway.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  11. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Member

Unless the person is only interested in roms, there's no reason to get the d1 over the d2g. She already stated the owner isn't interested in roms. I got this phone for $40 3 months ago. I'd imagine it's even free at this point with a 2 year contract, and if not, $40 isn't bad at all.
  12. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast New Member

If you're using a task killer on either liberty or fission, you're doing it wrong. Task killers hurt your battery life, not help them. Especially on blurless ROMs like those.
  13. sniper6

sniper6 New Member

Where is the D1 still available? Other than ebay or certified pre-owned?(which wasn't on Verizon anymore as of yesterday)
  14. turnpike

turnpike New Member

go to a retail verizon store...D1, D2 and D2G all available as of 2/15 (last time i was in a store)
  15. youngkyl50

youngkyl50 New Member

Thanks I uninstalled it and you were right the battery lasts much longer appreciate ie

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  16. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Where the heck did you find a D2G for 40 bucks on contract? I had to pay 249 for mine, from a verizon store (ordering online is not an option for me)

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G
  17. biknut1

biknut1 New Member

D2g

Pattikate-

Like your friend I came from a regular phone into the smartphone world- with a D2G. I may never use the global part of it, but did want an external keyboard. The day I went into Verizon for it, they said the D2 was no longer available. They never mentioned a D1, nor did I see one there.

I was very disappointed with it until last week. (I purchased it a week before Christmas.) The stock battery wouldn't last but a very few hours with very little use. I tried everything I could find without rooting. I downloaded apps, tweaked settings, deleted widgets and apps, still no luck. My phone would loose 10% every 2 hours at work with absolutely no usage.

I finally rooted it and installed Fission ROM 2.4.3. Still no luck with the battery. I tried a free cpu manager but didn't know how to adjust the settings correctly. Then I read NiceGuysFinishLast's write-up on these forums. At his suggestion, I installed SetCPU and used his settings.

Now the phone lasts like I expected it to at first. With the same usage as pre-rooting, I now leave work with 50% or more left compared to 20% or less before.

The funny thing is, I hear so many different people with so many different stories about their batteries. It seems that no 2 people get the same amount of time out of their batteries, no matter how much usage they have.

So tell your friend- maybe you will get good battery life, maybe not! I'm sure there are settings that can make much difference. This is new to me, so I don't know what to do with some of them.

Good luck for your friend! Hope this helps a little.
  18. pattikate

pattikate New Member

Thanks for sharing, it's appreciated!

Well, I don't think my friend would root his phone (he's not very tech savvy). He'd probably just tweak the settings for battery usage (lower brightness, shut off GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI, unckeck apps there are running in background, etc.) but even by doing that he's concerned he may not get more than a few hours with normal usage. Maybe he needs to re-think and get himself a different phone.....:unsure:
  19. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

or rethink rooting
  20. draexo

draexo New Member

If he can tweak the settings he can root the phone ... it is easy. Just use z4root. It is very easy.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App