anyone going 32GB when it's available ?

zero7404

Reaction score
just wondering if the droid can handle 32GB sdhc cards ? what speed class would be required for all the functionality of the phone ?

M

Matth3w

I'm sure it could handle 32GB. I don't use my phone as a music device usually so no I wouldn't get the 32GB.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
All people have to do is buy another 16gb card and put it in the phone. That turns it into 32gb. If you try having the factory 16gb and put a 32gb in it also your phone may not handle it. At least thats the way it looks to me where the SD card goes. It looks like theres a second slot for another 16gb card.

RedBull

Reaction score
Yup...the Droid can handle 32gb micro sd...as far as the class, that part I'm not sure about.

And I'll be getting one as soon as it's affordable...I have multiple full length feature films on my card and while I'm not critical on memory...I wouldn't mind having more.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
All people have to do is buy another 16gb card and put it in the phone. That turns it into 32gb. If you try having the factory 16gb and put a 32gb in it also your phone may not handle it. At least thats the way it looks to me where the SD card goes. It looks like theres a second slot for another 16gb card.

there is no second slot, it would have been a feature mentioned by motorola or vzw at the very least.

so there is only one slot, and usually, phones that can support 4 GB can usually accept 8 GB, 8 GB can usually accept 16 GB and so on ...

RedBull

Reaction score

I thought it was a single slot that you either use a 16gb card, or a 32gb...not pair them up...(Am I wrong on this one?)

RedBull

Reaction score
Not even sure when the 32gb cards are coming out...but if they do...what is the best class? Higher the number is the better? My 16gb card is a class 2 right now...

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
Not even sure when the 32gb cards are coming out...but if they do...what is the best class? Higher the number is the better? My 16gb card is a class 2 right now...

they are already out, just not in micro form. i think i've seen class 10 ...

i recently bought an sdhc for my camcorder and it specifies using a minimum of class 4 or class 6 for HD recording. so i would assume a class 4 32 GB sdhc microSD would be good enough for the droid.

i want 32 GB so that i can push 'most' of my music and movies to the device for trips, listening @ work, etc.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Given what the price will be for the 32GB cards when they come out and the fact that I've got over 8gb free right now...and a bunch of roms, camera videos, camera pics, and some of my own movies and songs on there I doubt I'd get the 32 gb card anytime soon. While I hoped the phone would replace my iPod it has not. Until a phone lets me bring all 100+gb of iPod data along I'll still be using the iPod.

RedBull

Reaction score
Given what the price will be for the 32GB cards when they come out and the fact that I've got over 8gb free right now...and a bunch of roms, camera videos, camera pics, and some of my own movies and songs on there I doubt I'd get the 32 gb card anytime soon. While I hoped the phone would replace my iPod it has not. Until a phone lets me bring all 100+gb of iPod data along I'll still be using the iPod.

Yeah...it's gonna cost a fortune up front I'm sure. I'm hoping my employee discount at Best Buy helps ease that pain...if we ever get the suckers...

demon69120

Reaction score
Nah. I don't need 16gb because 16gb is enough for anything except video.

When 16gb SD cards came out, holy cow, they were EXPENSIVE. Imagine the 32gb. If anything I'll wait a year before buying one because I always have my iPod Touch for video (lower res, not widescreen, but oh well it's 64gb).

MJ5150

Reaction score
...what is the best class? Higher the number is the better?

The class refers to the speed rating, so the higher the better. Your class 2 card will transfer 16 MBits per second which is 2 MBytes per second.

Be aware that some card makers also use "X" ratings.

As for me and the 32GB, no thanks. I don't use this Droid to store movies or music.

-Mike