Anyone come from the Blackberry world?

highflyr

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just curious if anyone came from using a Blackberry to a Motorola Milestone. If so, what was the change of user experience like for you? Do you regret making the switch? Do you miss blackberry messenger?!?

The tactile keys right now are the deal breaker for me. The two phones I've been looking at are the Nexus One and the Motorola Milestone... and unless I get convinced that a touch screen is something I can get used to, it's going to have to be the Motorola.

Thanks for any comments

waylman

Reaction score
I came from a bold 9000 and really love the milestone.
the physical keyboard on the milestone is terrible so I use swype. its a very cool easy way to type on the virtual keyboard.
I do miss bbm but that is it. The milestone blows the blackberry out of the water in every other way. However if you use the berry for work in an exchange environment you may not be able to set that up.

OP
H

highflyr

Reaction score
Interesting that the physical keyboard on the Milestone wasn't up to par. Do you find yourself using it less with new apps making soft keyboard typing a better experience?

Personally, when I use the ipod touch to do some minor emailing, it infuriates me to no end.

Glad to hear you like the Android OS. The future of RIM is going to be interesting. I saw their keyboard slider phone photo leaks and I'm not sure who designed that one but a vertical slider looks horrendous.

waylman

Reaction score
Yeah, I barely use the physical keyboard anymore. Swype allows you to just swipe your finger across the keyboard and it figures out what word you are typing...it is brilliant software!

I think the thing with Blackberry is they have a very strong hold on the older business crowd and Android really is for a younger crowd that likes to tinker. I don't think Blackberry is going to fail anytime soon.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I had been using BB's since for over 10 years. I miss not receiving my emails immediately. I also miss the BB Messanger which was much better than Google Voice. I haven't found a messanging app which compares to the BB Messanger.

However, I do like my Droid for its multimedia offerings but I do sometimes miss my BB's. But not enough to where I would switch back to one.

c_mack9

Reaction score
i had the first BB curve then the bold 9000. i loved both of them but the droid just smashes them both IMO. i like the keyboard on the bold a lot more than the curve but once i played with the physical keyboard on the droid i love it a lot more than the BB. i use the oncreen keyboard for short typing, just a few words and its spot on accurate unlike those apple devices that always recognize the button NEXT to the one you hit. i like modding my device and there is a whole lot more you can customize with a droid than you can with a BB. i didnt use BBM so i dont miss it. i dont IM anymore since everyone has unlimited texts these days but android has an ap that combines MSN AIM and some other IMs i think. i havent used it but... droid rules.