Any wisdome to signing a 1 year contract instead of a 2

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by mflynn, Jul 13, 2010.

1. mflynn

mflynn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As the title suggests, I'm contemplating moving from AT&T and going to Verizon and getting the Droid X. One question (out of many :) ) is this. Does it makes sense to pay more $$ for the phone and sign a single year contract as opposed to two.

I suppose this may make sense if you're not sure if you'll be on verizon for very long but I'm thinking that it will alter the upgrade date for a phone (it may not). I just want to know all of my options and which makes the most sense.

2. Lucas5

Lucas5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ask some friends or family members how Verizon service has been in your area first. if reception/coverage for verizon is good in your area than i'd jump for the two year contract for the lower price of the phone.
    i highly doubt that you'll be disappointed by the droid x, but if verizon's coverage is poor in your area than i wouldn't bother.

3. huelsebu

huelsebu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I bought my Droid in December, I opted to get it with a one year contract. Sure, you pay a little more up front. But the benefit for me? I'm eligible for new phone pricing in just a few more months.

4. mflynn

mflynn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Boston Mass and they have excellent coverage, heck I used to be on verizon until the iPhone hit the streets and went over to AT&T. I have since dumped my iPhone and gotten a Nexus.

Verizon also has great coverage in New Hampshire which I like to visit, and AT&T as poor coverage so its a win in that sense.

I'm just a little hesitant to get locked into a 2 year contract with a high ETF. 1 year gives me more options but it will cost me.

I'm curious to hear other's opinions on this so thanks for posting.

5. ninjabox

ninjabox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not far from you in Mass. I have excellent coverage on my verizon phone. A couple of my friends have iphone's and their service is garbage and if the head into new hamshire at all, it only get worse. But I think the 1 year contract is worth the extra money because you get to upgrade you phone yearly :icon_ banana:. For the Droid X after mail in rebate 2 years is $200 and 1 year is $269. The extra $69 is worth it because next year 4g will be here. Rumor has it 4g already in Boston for testing. So this time next year I will be getting a 4g phone.

6. FreyGrimrod

FreyGrimrod Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. tmoney2007

tmoney2007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with verizon no matter what, but getting the 1 year contract allows me to upgrade after 10 months instead of 20 and it only costs $70. Not being able to upgrade early made me stuck with the storm 1, so I had to go out and buy a droid to get away from that terrible device. That cost me ~$300, so $70 for a new phone is worth it for me. I can probably make the money back selling my old phone if it is only 10 months old.

8. CSmith_AndroidD

CSmith_AndroidD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It makes sense if you like having the biggest and the best, as you get to upgrade every year. If you can deal with one phone for the length i dont see the point.

9. Lucas5

Lucas5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it sounds like you like to (or want to) jump from carrier to carrier in order to get the phone you want. Go ahead and only get the 1 year contract. I'm happy with my droid and verizon's service so i'm going to ride out the 2 year contract.

10. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    the last few posts are what i was gonna say. upgrade in 10 months with the one year plan, so you pretty much always keep the latest and greatest. ;)

check out droidxforums.com also. it's a sister site of this one, but geared specifically for the Droid X.

11. Elkay

Elkay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Resale value on a 1 year old device is far better than a 2 year old device. You could almost make up the $69 with that alone.

12. EgooEspada

EgooEspada Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I say just go with a one year contract with the Droid X. When your upgrade comes, you'll have plenty of devices to choose fro, that will have LTE capabilities.
    Seems like that would be a smart move in my book. :)

13. jtaliani

jtaliani New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I definitely wish we would have gone with one year contracts. We will be in the future.

Search tags for this page

can you sign a 1 year contract at&t