Verizon 2 Year Contract Question

y0yoyo

Reaction score
I always wonder this question and someone on this forum may know. When i got my Bionic i signed a 2 year contract. But after 1 year I can upgrade to a new phone, correct? But the kicker is that you do not get the discount for the phone like you do when you sign a 2 year contract. Is this also correct? I think having the same phone for 2 years can be pretty dumb and although I like my Bionic i wouldnt mind upgrading after a year. Any help on this would be great without having to call verizon or actually going in. Thanks!

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I always wonder this question and someone on this forum may know. When i got my Bionic i signed a 2 year contract. But after 1 year I can upgrade to a new phone, correct? But the kicker is that you do not get the discount for the phone like you do when you sign a 2 year contract. Is this also correct? I think having the same phone for 2 years can be pretty dumb and although I like my Bionic i wouldnt mind upgrading after a year. Any help on this would be great without having to call verizon or actually going in. Thanks!

You get the upgrade price after 20 months. Before that if you want a new phone you're paying full retail price.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon will sometimes give you a early upgrade after a year if you bug the hell out of them, or are having problems with your phone. A tier 3 rep has to approve this usually. It will extend your contract another 2 years from that point.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I would like to see is a special 2-year contract. You pay, say, $200 for a phone and you have the option to get a new phone at any time during that contract. One thing, you have to surrender the old phone, which Verizon will either donate (tax break) or sell as pre-owned. What would happen is, based on the age of the phone, you'd get a discount. For example, you'd get a $150 discount if the phone was fairly new and $10 near the end of your contact. You'd use that discount and pay the remainder. This way you could always have a new phone. The big downside is that you could never root, or at least have it back to factory when turning it in.