Any way to stop the OTA gingerbread update?

wyld

Reaction score
I did the same thing sbf'd back to Froyo , rerooted and installed rooted .596 a few days ago I have not gotten any update prompts yet! But I had to warranty out my DX a little over a week ago new one came with .596 preinstalled don't know if that has something to do with that maybe?

Oh BTW I've never froze apps before anyone got a good list of apps to freeze I would really prefer not to freeze something I shouldn't! Thank you!

sent from my Rooted Gingerbread DroidX using DroidForums

clmowers

Reaction score
No offense but ALOT of people are having problems just here in this forum. The update is bricking peoples phones and they are having to reset it 4-5X just to get to the factory menu.

None taken. But how many updates have you done? I've been doing them for over two years on different phones and I realize what people are saying in this forum. Trust me when I tell you I spend more time here then you do.

It's like this with every update. Matter of fact there is a pattern to peoples behavior. There is the anticipation of the update. There's the joy of receiving the update, immediately followed by the complaints. From there it goes into an acceptance stage and we start all over again.

I'm on my third generation of flashed/modded/customized phone, not to mention doing it for my friends who aren't "brave enough" to do it but just gotta have it. Yeah, I'm still new to android devices, but the process is still the same.
So what happens? The carrier issues an update, people install it, and the fun begins.
Many people actually like it. Most are the casual user, they see new features and for the most part they like it, and most of those have no problems either. The rest mainly fall into two other groups. We notice the flaws, bugs, etc., the shortcomings, the lack of insight, or whatever you want to call it. Or we are one of those who do actually have a legit problem associated with an update. Face it, there is almost always a few devices that have some kind of defect and something just doesn't work as planned.
For me personally, I am listening to my own instincts. Big Red has sent this update out, some had to get it manually and others say it was forced on them. Mine was not asked for, it just tried to install itself. If it didn't make any sounds I would have never known it was trying to install this. That action right there is what made me suspicious. Every update prior was by choice. If you didn't want it you didn't take it and it was done. With this one it's different. If you decline it asks you again, so you decline again, and it asks again, and again, and again..........
Why? I said no the first time.
I don't use my DX to tether or for any other try to get something for free that I should pay for to begin with action. It kinda seems, IMHO, that's what this forced update is all about.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

the thing is, there are problems with gingerbread on the DX. The phone will randomly reboot. I have SBF, done the OTA with no root, done it with root, and every other way possible and everything ends up the same. No matter what you are doing. I have talked to Verizon about this, and it is a known issue, and as of right now there are no plans on a fix. I dont know if moto is working on something or not, but until then, im staying away from the OTA. Im not saying this is happening with all DX, its happening with mine and about 10 of my friends, on DX and HTC's..so i think its also something with the gingerbread itself. time will only tell. As to prevent the OTA from happening, just freeze the updater using something like titanium or Bloat Freezer or AntTek

Angela627

Reaction score
I froze the updater, and some bloatware (amazon, blockbuster, madden) and it finally stopped harassing me to do the update install.

I would have done the freezing with Titanium, but the free version doesn't seem to have that ability. DL'd AntTek App manager & it did the trick.

My phone is not Rooted (at least I don't think so as I haven't done anything special to it), can I still use AntTek App Manager and freeze this update?

Foolishly said Yes to the Gingerbread update on my Droid 2 Global last week, it pretty much wrecked my phone and I just got a replacement from Verizon this week. Luckily this phone came with Froyo but now it's asking me to update again. It's already downloaded the update but I've said no for now but don't want it to automatically update and be bricked again!