Any way to stop the OTA gingerbread update?

RogerS

Reaction score
So;
Is there a way to stop an "auto-update" from 2.2 to 2.3 on a stock phone (no titanium, etc. installed) other than to repeatedly decline.
Also, is there a legit (Verizon approved?) way to roll back 2.3 to 2.2?
Thanks.

ecorack

Reaction score
which is updater file to freeze?

Basically same as discussed earlier: rooted froyo droidx and LOVE it. Dont want to update to gingerbread bc i like being rooted.

But my droidx autodownloaded gb update yesterday and now i get reminder every 4hrs to install. What file/app/sys file do i freeze w titanum to stop the install queue? Or I'll nandroid back b4 download and freeze updater (which app/file do i look for?) .

Fyi I would love to update to OTA gingerbread, but only if can be rooted (control-freak)... and i read warning that i have to return my rooted, incredibly customized froyo setup back to stock or my phone will brick during or after install of OTA gingerbread. THANKS in advance for any help or advice.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can get rooted gb. Don't take the update and go to gingerbread :something for everyone thread.

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict

Torpedo IPA

Reaction score
So;
Is there a way to stop an "auto-update" from 2.2 to 2.3 on a stock phone (no titanium, etc. installed) other than to repeatedly decline.
Also, is there a legit (Verizon approved?) way to roll back 2.3 to 2.2?
Thanks.

I was told no from Verizon that there was any was to go back. Not wanting to wreck things I am waiting out a bug fix for GB. I don't see any performance improvement in GB, Froyo was better on my DroidX by far. I am seeing a battery discharge rate of 6 hours from full to dead with all the settings for battery saving set correctly. I love this DroidX it is far better than the p.o.s. htc 1st generation smartphone I was using.

Don't know, have not seen, but is there a physically larger battery and adapter plate cover for the DroidX? On an old Moto I had years back this was an option and improved standby time immensely. Batteries seem to stay the same size and the processors seem to keep growing... this makes no sense. I am completely down with lugging twice the size battery around in order to actually have a "mobile" device....

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Extended batteries are available (at least for the d2)
You can sbf to froyo if you like.

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict

ecorack

Reaction score
Yep, i bought extended battery for droidx. The droidx battery compartment is big enough for it so it doesnt change size of phone.

Torpedo IPA

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have just ordered a bigger battery. Now I'll just have to wait and see.

ecorack

Reaction score
Do I freeze 'updater' or 'upgrader' or both with Titanium Backup to stop the OTA Gingerbread update? My phone keeps starting the download so i power down.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine also notified me about the update and I want to decline as well. How do I opt out? There is no way I'm installing this after everything I've read.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Please. Don't be influenced by what you read in the Forums about any update.

I'm watching this in progress, just as I've watched many other updates and this one is no different. I saw one person who said he got the update and it works great. 1 person made a thread.

Everything else is a complaint. And if you really look at the complaints you will see many people who say they don't have the issue.

People only post to complain. When they are happy they don't post, that's why I point out to you I only saw the one post. I've been through many updates and everyone of them has someone like you who doesn't want to update because of what they read.

There's an old expression. Don't believe everything you read.

No offense but ALOT of people are having problems just here in this forum. The update is bricking peoples phones and they are having to reset it 4-5X just to get to the factory menu.

None taken. But how many updates have you done? I've been doing them for over two years on different phones and I realize what people are saying in this forum. Trust me when I tell you I spend more time here then you do.

It's like this with every update. Matter of fact there is a pattern to peoples behavior. There is the anticipation of the update. There's the joy of receiving the update, immediately followed by the complaints. From there it goes into an acceptance stage and we start all over again.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not the only one with a psychology degree here! + 1

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7-Droid addict

FernBch

Reaction score
Please. Don't be influenced by what you read in the Forums about any update.

I'm watching this in progress, just as I've watched many other updates and this one is no different. I saw one person who said he got the update and it works great. 1 person made a thread.

Everything else is a complaint. And if you really look at the complaints you will see many people who say they don't have the issue.

People only post to complain. When they are happy they don't post, that's why I point out to you I only saw the one post. I've been through many updates and everyone of them has someone like you who doesn't want to update because of what they read.

There's an old expression. Don't believe everything you read.

No offense but ALOT of people are having problems just here in this forum. The update is bricking peoples phones and they are having to reset it 4-5X just to get to the factory menu.

None taken. But how many updates have you done? I've been doing them for over two years on different phones and I realize what people are saying in this forum. Trust me when I tell you I spend more time here then you do.

It's like this with every update. Matter of fact there is a pattern to peoples behavior. There is the anticipation of the update. There's the joy of receiving the update, immediately followed by the complaints. From there it goes into an acceptance stage and we start all over again.

I'm on my third generation of flashed/modded/customized phone, not to mention doing it for my friends who aren't "brave enough" to do it but just gotta have it. Yeah, I'm still new to android devices, but the process is still the same.
So what happens? The carrier issues an update, people install it, and the fun begins.
Many people actually like it. Most are the casual user, they see new features and for the most part they like it, and most of those have no problems either. The rest mainly fall into two other groups. We notice the flaws, bugs, etc., the shortcomings, the lack of insight, or whatever you want to call it. Or we are one of those who do actually have a legit problem associated with an update. Face it, there is almost always a few devices that have some kind of defect and something just doesn't work as planned.
For me personally, I am listening to my own instincts. Big Red has sent this update out, some had to get it manually and others say it was forced on them. Mine was not asked for, it just tried to install itself. If it didn't make any sounds I would have never known it was trying to install this. That action right there is what made me suspicious. Every update prior was by choice. If you didn't want it you didn't take it and it was done. With this one it's different. If you decline it asks you again, so you decline again, and it asks again, and again, and again..........
Why? I said no the first time.
I don't use my DX to tether or for any other try to get something for free that I should pay for to begin with action. It kinda seems, IMHO, that's what this forced update is all about.

OP
C

chiruscan

Reaction score
And theres no way it should be bricking peoples phones, regardless of what they have on there.

And even if it doesnt end up bricked, look at all the problems people are having with it? Its like an alpha version Verizon never tested it or anything before they released it.

xush

Reaction score
Do I freeze 'updater' or 'upgrader' or both with Titanium Backup to stop the OTA Gingerbread update? My phone keeps starting the download so i power down.

I froze the updater, and some bloatware (amazon, blockbuster, madden) and it finally stopped harassing me to do the update install.

I would have done the freezing with Titanium, but the free version doesn't seem to have that ability. DL'd AntTek App manager & it did the trick.

FernBch

Reaction score
And theres no way it should be bricking peoples phones, regardless of what they have on there.

And even if it doesnt end up bricked, look at all the problems people are having with it? Its like an alpha version Verizon never tested it or anything before they released it.

I agree. The usual cause, in my experience, for a brick is not following the steps correctly. I have also been told by VZW techs, again I don't know how true it is, that a patch may be released for GB. When is the real question.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
I had the rooted .596 the day it was available and things had been running fairly well. But, the past couple of days I had some issues, and ended up in a bootloop I could not get out of this morning. SO I SBF'd back to FroYo again.

As I was rooting and installing BootStrapper, I got prompted for the OTA .596 download. I ignored it, finished what I was doing and flashed the rooted .596. Now I am in GinerBread and have frozed/uninstalled bloat and got my phone back to "my phone"

BUT...The OTA download keeps popping up for me to update to .596 and says 'download of update failed" I am hoping it will quit soon, otherwise I guess I will try freezing some more.