1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Any way to stop the OTA gingerbread update?

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by chiruscan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. chiruscan

chiruscan New Member

Im on rooted Froyo and the automatic updater is constantly trying to the OTA update.
  2. bobAbooey

bobAbooey New Member

Are you on a rom? Do you have any apps frozen? The rumor was being rooted and having apps frozen would stop the ota.

I couldn't get the update until I unrooted and sbf back to froyo. I have read that people are getting even rooted but i can't confirm it.
  3. chiruscan

chiruscan New Member

No sorry i didnt mention it, Im on stock froyo, just rooted.

What do I have to freeze to stop the update?
  4. bobAbooey

bobAbooey New Member

I don't want to give out bad info but I would get titanium back and freeze news and weather or car dock or something like that.

Who knows though, it still might keep prompting you to update. Might not be able to get around it.
  5. chiruscan

chiruscan New Member

Can you freeze the updater file?
  6. chiruscan

chiruscan New Member

Ok I just froze the updater file with Titanium backup

Phew

The download got up to like 7%
  7. xush

xush New Member

I'm rooted & couldn't figure out how to stop the auto DL today. Turned phone off, but it started right up again when I turned it back on. It downloaded the file in under 10 min.

I keep delaying the installation as I'm not sure what'll happen if I let it go. So far it lets me put it off. Not sure why it decided to DL itself automatically though.
  8. FernBch

FernBch New Member

Mine also notified me about the update and I want to decline as well. How do I opt out? There is no way I'm installing this after everything I've read.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Please. Don't be influenced by what you read in the Forums about any update.

I'm watching this in progress, just as I've watched many other updates and this one is no different. I saw one person who said he got the update and it works great. 1 person made a thread.

Everything else is a complaint. And if you really look at the complaints you will see many people who say they don't have the issue.

People only post to complain. When they are happy they don't post, that's why I point out to you I only saw the one post. I've been through many updates and everyone of them has someone like you who doesn't want to update because of what they read.

There's an old expression. Don't believe everything you read.
  10. ldopa

ldopa New Member

I just wanted to post that I'm happy with no complaints... Haha ;)

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz
  11. xush

xush New Member

My phone works GREAT. I'm extremely happy with it. I don't want to risk the slightest compromise of that greatness just so Motorola or verizon can use me as a test subject to work out their kinks.
    Just want to know how to stop this update process safely.

(I'd be happy to hear what improvements make this upgrade worth the gamble, but even in the official documentation I'm not seeing enough info on anything substantial)
  12. FernBch

FernBch New Member

I know not to believe everything I'm told (read). I have read some posts about how good it is,too, and I'm sure there are way more people that do like GB and just haven't said so. I have read a couple posts here and on a few other forums, including the one on VZW's site talking about problems with GB. I just want to wait until the bugs are out before I update.

I did talk to a lvl 2 tech today and he did confirm that there are a small number of people who are having legitimate issues with GB and there will most likely be a patch available in the future. Some, not all though, are due to third party apps that are not updated to "play nice" with GB.

He said: "If you decide to opt out or wait for the issues to be fixed just keep telling the update notification to ask later. The update app will eventually stop asking you because there is a counter in it. Once that number is reached it will ask no more."

My only thought is "It works fine right know. I would rather wait than take the chance."

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  13. chiruscan

chiruscan New Member

I was in class and had my phone set to vibrate and all of a sudden I thought I was getting bombed with sms messages becasue it vibrated like 5X.

Get out of class and find out that VZW had auto-installed the update and the download at 4%. I was like "WTF?"

I mean they couldnt have at least given you an screen to ask and opt out?

So I froze the upgrader program with titanium backup, rebooted, and it stopped downloading.

I also like my phone the way it is and am not willing to sacrifice all my customizations for a simple upgrade until the bugs are fixed and its rooted.
  14. chiruscan

chiruscan New Member

No offense but ALOT of people are having problems just here in this forum. The update is bricking peoples phones and they are having to reset it 4-5X just to get to the factory menu.
  15. superpopmonk

superpopmonk New Member

Granted, I have a droid 2(happily rooted and liberated I might add) but my girlfriend has an x. I love phones and as soon as I found out that an ota was coming with gingerbread for the x I was more excited than she was. Everyday I kept telling her (and doing it myself) to check and see if she could manually update. Today I happened to check and lo and behold and update was available. We downloaded it and installed it. As much as I wanted to play with it and see how much better it was I asked her to use it a while and tell me how she liked it for the reason of posting on the forums how it was. She told me it was faster and more responsive and that the widgets (all the updated blur stuff) was "cooler". Afterwards, I played with it for a while and honestly, its nice. Its snappy and responsive, and it is very smooth. I know people have said that they had problems but it seems just fine to me. All her stuff and layouts stayed the same as well which I know she enjoyed. If this is what is to be expected from a gingerbread ota then honestly im excited for when it comes out for the d2. Just thought I would put in my two cents.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  16. RogerS

RogerS New Member

So;
    Is there a way to stop an "auto-update" from 2.2 to 2.3 on a stock phone (no titanium, etc. installed) other than to repeatedly decline.
    Also, is there a legit (Verizon approved?) way to roll back 2.3 to 2.2?
    Thanks.
  17. ecorack

ecorack New Member

which is updater file to freeze?

Basically same as discussed earlier: rooted froyo droidx and LOVE it. Dont want to update to gingerbread bc i like being rooted.

But my droidx autodownloaded gb update yesterday and now i get reminder every 4hrs to install. What file/app/sys file do i freeze w titanum to stop the install queue? Or I'll nandroid back b4 download and freeze updater (which app/file do i look for?) .

Fyi I would love to update to OTA gingerbread, but only if can be rooted (control-freak)... and i read warning that i have to return my rooted, incredibly customized froyo setup back to stock or my phone will brick during or after install of OTA gingerbread. THANKS in advance for any help or advice.
  18. ldopa

ldopa New Member

You can get rooted gb. Don't take the update and go to gingerbread :something for everyone thread.

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict
  19. Torpedo IPA

Torpedo IPA New Member

I was told no from Verizon that there was any was to go back. Not wanting to wreck things I am waiting out a bug fix for GB. I don't see any performance improvement in GB, Froyo was better on my DroidX by far. I am seeing a battery discharge rate of 6 hours from full to dead with all the settings for battery saving set correctly. I love this DroidX it is far better than the p.o.s. htc 1st generation smartphone I was using.

Don't know, have not seen, but is there a physically larger battery and adapter plate cover for the DroidX? On an old Moto I had years back this was an option and improved standby time immensely. Batteries seem to stay the same size and the processors seem to keep growing... this makes no sense. I am completely down with lugging twice the size battery around in order to actually have a "mobile" device....
  20. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Extended batteries are available (at least for the d2)
    You can sbf to froyo if you like.

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict
Search tags for this page
avoid gingerbread update
gingerbread and stop updating
gingerbread auto update
how do i stop an update on gingerbread
how do i stop my droid x from updating
how to decline at&t 4.3 ota update
how to stop auto oupdate of apps on android gingerbread 2.3.
keep droid from updating

keep droid x from updating

stop app updates gingerbread
stop auto update on gingerbread
stop automatic app updates gingerbread
stop ota updates lucid gingerbread with anttek

stop verizon automatic software update droid x

verizon galaxy s3 anttek freeze updater