Any way to port Droid X2 apps/framework to Droid 2 Global?

guyinlaca

Reaction score
Given that the Droid 2 Global Gingerbread update has been postponed, I figure it would make for an interesting mod to update it to the new version of Blur using the Froyo system from the X2.

Considering they're both running Froyo, I'd imagine porting the new launcher, framework, and apps would be possible.

Is anyone else interested in this idea? Perhaps if someone could provide a filesystem dump from the Droid X2, we can extract the files and test it out.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Well first off, DX GB release is not froyo it is GB. Only the CM4DX release has GB under a froyo kernel.

Most of the Dev Energy is now focused on using the methods used in the DX port of CM7 to make it work on the D2 and D2G.

The DX is now officially supported by the Cyanogen group and if I'm not mistaken the D2 version was accepted into the official realm last night. Or is about to be if the tweet I saw was correct.

It will take a bit longer to get the D2G there since the D2 and DX had an OTA or leak of GB to work with and we are still waiting for something (leaked or OTA rollout) to take libs and drivers from.

The DX and D2G are way too different, the D2 is a much closer match to the D2G and is similar enough to the DX to make proting to that a little easier.

So instead of waiting for a port of DX GB I would keep an eye on CM4D2G threads around here (but mostly at rootwiki) as that is probably going to be the fastest D2G path to GB.

It runs on a D2G now with some minor hardware and sensor issues but it is the only GB for D2G I know of that even boots.

Jorona

Reaction score
Well first off, DX GB release is not froyo it is GB. Only the CM4DX release has GB under a froyo kernel.

Most of the Dev Energy is now focused on using the methods used in the DX port of CM7 to make it work on the D2 and D2G.

The DX is now officially supported by the Cyanogen group and if I'm not mistaken the D2 version was accepted into the official realm last night. Or is about to be if the tweet I saw was correct.

It will take a bit longer to get the D2G there since the D2 and DX had an OTA or leak of GB to work with and we are still waiting for something (leaked or OTA rollout) to take libs and drivers from.

The DX and D2G are way too different, the D2 is a much closer match to the D2G and is similar enough to the DX to make proting to that a little easier.

So instead of waiting for a port of DX GB I would keep an eye on CM4D2G threads around here (but mostly at rootwiki) as that is probably going to be the fastest D2G path to GB.

It runs on a D2G now with some minor hardware and sensor issues but it is the only GB for D2G I know of that even boots.

He's talkin about a Droid X "2", not a DX. The X2 runs on froyo with the new version of blur.

I'd mostly be worried about the fact that it was optimazed for a dual core processor with a better GPU. I'd bet it'll run really poorly on our single core phones.