DROID X2 Update Soon! (Gingerbread)

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm not disclosed to release information detailing the update once I receive it, but it is coming very soon. I just received an email from a Motorola moderator offering the option of participating in the "pre-soak" test of the update. This is available to a select number of users prior to the official OTA that everyone else will receive, though, it will be the final build -- given there isn't a fault.

Any development that is going on, I highly recommend waiting to see what this update will bring us and build off of it.

Here's hopes that we receive the same structure as the DROID 3, who has exceptionally well implemented blur.

Also, if I do recall, in a previous post I predicted that all DROID X2 users would receive the update by the end of August. It appears that this is looking true.

May we all embrace the power of the DROID X2.

And by the way, this would also be a good time to announce that I am planning on releasing a flashable update tonight that will debloatify, apply a few tweaks, and also include a few framework modifications. If time allows, I'll also deodex the system.

ROM has been released!
MinimalX for DROID X2

;)

Tapatalk from my MinimalX DROID X^2

Last edited:
Reaction score
Betting that you can't answer but what will the GB update do to root? Can the update be declined? Losing root would be a major blow to my system and I'd just soon keep it as is for now.

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Betting that you can't answer but what will the GB update do to root? Can the update be declined? Losing root would be a major blow to my system and I'd just soon keep it as is for now.

GB update will most definitely will be unrootable at first. Unless we receive the same blur infrastructure as the DROID 3 and root is discovered for it soon.

Yes, it is easily possible to avoid the OTA all together. If you have a system modification, say, frozen/deleted/renamed bloat, then you wont receive the OTA. So if you wish to keep root until DROID X2 GB root is discovered, it should easily be accomplished.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

pvcdroid

Reaction score
If we want to receive the OTA, what steps should be taken to ready the X2 for those that have rooted, debloatified and supercharged our phones?

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
This is the best news I've heard since I've had my X2. Thanks for the update. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Ah, run away! It's God-OTA-update-zilla!

The damnable thing is I still want the update.
I hope it's not the hassle the last update was for me.
I am bit optimistic , by pulling it back to double check and fix we should get a good down load.

Just call me Pollyanna,,

Last edited:

Kevin3328

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just to be clear.. as long as u r rooted u will not receive update right? I don't want it I have this phone running just the way I want now and actually love it the way it is.. don't want it changed rite yet

vvildcard

Reaction score
No... just being rooted does not block the update. You have to freeze the updater to block the OTA.

Kevin3328

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wildcard.. will the update unroot my phone and all the work I put into it

vvildcard

Reaction score
We really won't know until the update hits, but I wouldn't count on anything.

barski

Reaction score
I'm more than willing to take the OTA, even if it does unroot me. Anyways if i had to go back i could just SBF back.

This OTA has high expectations from me, I can't stand my Droid X2 right now.

Kevin3328

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I guess ill have to sbf and or block my ota update because im personally quite happy with my x2

magman

Reaction score
so just woundering i know if i dont like the update i can do the sbf but would i have to root make a back up and all that stuff or would any droid x2 say even one that comes out a month after the update so it come with the update already on it would that person be able to use the sbf and go back or would that person be screwed till they find away around it?

Kevin3328

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Especially if custom roms are flashable before the update comes ...I've already made a few mods that make this phone run great imho

zakth

Reaction score
I know some might get a little upset about this but there was nothing stating that this update will be gingerbread... as of right now we do not know because Motorola has only just contacted people to invite them to the soak test. There was no information that stated exactly what version would be tested.

With that said, I do hope it's Gingerbread. As for Root, you will no longer have it if you do an OTA update. You can use the SBF to go back if you cannot live with root. But I do not imagine that it would take very long for someone to figure out how to root it. Then again Gingerbreak may work still. It all remains to be seen.