Any Advantages of a Keyboard over Touchscreen?

Kyunghoonie

Reaction score
So I've been following the Droid X enthusiastically ever since it was announced and I've been dying waiting for the 15th to come. But it just hit me yesterday that I might wanna use apps like video game emulators which seem better suited with a keyboard (a la Droid 2) rather than using on-screen controls. So I was just wondering if you guys had any other ideas of when a keyboard might be useful than a touchscreen or even vice versa! Thanks a lot!

OP
K

Kyunghoonie

Reaction score
Haha if only I could get my hands on a Wii now...:biggrin:

dadarkside

Reaction score
i've been wondering this myself for quite some time. i've searched the forums for this type of question and i've never found a post about this... which seemed odd because i thought this would be a question that comes up alot when comparing the droid1 with the nexus one/incredible.

from what i've seen there are some emulators that have on screen controls (go to youtube and search nexus one emulators). some games seem playable (rpgs, puzzle games) but games like super mario world would probably not be easy to play. i think theres a limitation to how many times the screen can measure multitouch (3 is the max??)

the info i found on the wiimote app stated it was still in alpha stage so it'll probably work 30% of the time. (this might have changed since i last checked).

i also remember reading a post stating that the droid 1 keyboard allows you access to the bootloader (not sure what that is). without the keyboard i dont know how you would access it (similar to trying to getting into bios config with a out a keyboard).

i hope that helps.

i forgot to add... the general consensus i've seen on these forums is that people with droids have stopped using their physical keyboard in favor of the on screen keyboard. i wish there was a poll or some other type of statistic that showed the percentage of people who use the physical keyboard vs those that use virtual keyboard.

OP
K

Kyunghoonie

Reaction score
ahhh..thanks a lot for your info! yeah i've seen a lot of youtube demonstrating on screen controls but it seems as if you have to sacrifice visibility for playability and maybe it's just me, but i need buttons when i game! heh

and hrmm...yeah maybe i might be in the wrong forum if i wanna get information from droid 1 owners but i was just wondering if anyone had any general experience with keyboard vs touchscreen usage esp. with apps

hendrix

Reaction score
all phones have access to the bootloader (recovery console) they just get there differently. The nexus 1 for example you hold down the trackball button while powering on the device.

soba1

Reaction score
If your screen went kinda haywire and you couldn't use the onscreen dial pad. U can use the numbers on your keyboard

hendrix

Reaction score
if your screen is going that haywire then you have more issues than making a call ;)

OP
K

Kyunghoonie

Reaction score
yeah...i think making calls would be the least of my worries at that point haha

soba1

Reaction score
Even though I am going to the X the physical keyboard is a major major plus

OP
K

Kyunghoonie

Reaction score
Haha yeah..I'm still in the process of deciding of just how MUCH of a plus that keyboard is...I'm torn :icon_eek:

soba1

Reaction score
Haha yeah..I'm still in the process of deciding of just how MUCH of a plus that keyboard is...I'm torn :icon_eek:
I was messing around with my Droid and couldnt reprogram it. I had to call a VZ rep to hlep me go into a section where it had to be configured manually. Then after sharing my experience on a forum. I was told u could use the physical keyboard to dial as well. Hey in times like that if u like to hack mod etc. It is a definite plus.

soba1

Reaction score
I would like to ad though that even though I am getting the X I will dfinitely be looking at the DP 2 at the end of the year.....

ctxx24

Reaction score
i hate physical keyboards now.... after coming from the droids most horrid keyboard