Another newbie looking for advice for rooting

Reaction score
Please help. I have a droid2 running 2.3.3. Have researched the one click roots and cannot find any definative answers. I would like root access on my phone but don't know who to ask for help. Z4 Root and Gingerbreak appear easy enough. Don't know if I have the correct version of android for them to work. Any advice from anyone willing to share some knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have been reading up on it as much as possible. Have downloaded gingerbreak already, just not ran it yet. Read several stories about it not working. So the type of device its not important, its the version of android?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Precisely. all you have to-do. Is set your phone in USB debugging and plug it in a PC then run the application. That's all there is to it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions. I have to download to my laptop? I just got gingerbreak from 4shared directly to my phone. Still have to connect to pc?

Reaction score
All you have to do it connect it to your PC with USB debugging on . Nosoftware needed no the Pc. The application just. Needs. The. PC to run the exploits to root

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
Thanks again for the info. Gonna give it a whirl. Prefer the gingerbreak method cause it says it can unroot as well. Very handy indeed. So obviously it worked for you?

Reaction score
Yes. I used itseveral times and it does let you unroot that's. Why I love it.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the Titanium Backup, and the bootstrapper? So many more terms I don't understand. Forgive me for being such a newbie. I have read these terms everywhere online and on the forum. Basically all I want to do with root is lose the bloatware... at first. Then perhaps move on to bigger and better things as my knowledge increases. Do I have to backup my phone before I root?, or is it recommended? Cannot thank you enough for your insight. Feel free to pm me if its easier.

Reaction score
That's really the only reason I rooted my phone was to get rid. Of the annoying bloatware. No backup. Is required but if makes you sleep better at night go ahead. The bootstrap er is mainly for flashing roms. So dont worry about it. I'm using titanium backup. Not to backup but to freeze the bloatware. Don't uninstall the bloatware just freeze it.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the Titanium Backup, and the bootstrapper? So many more terms I don't understand. Forgive me for being such a newbie. I have read these terms everywhere online and on the forum. Basically all I want to do with root is lose the bloatware... at first. Then perhaps move on to bigger and better things as my knowledge increases. Do I have to backup my phone before I root?, or is it recommended? Cannot thank you enough for your insight. Feel free to pm me if its easier.

The only thing that will work with d2 ota ging..is D3 oneclick...Its painless..

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not nessecarily gingerbread works better

Gingerbreak had a few complaints on our device..but I'm sure it does work..I was just going with easy and less problems..but thanks! Hope he's rooted by now..lol