Another Bionic that can't get a data connection... no 4G/3G/1X signal.. only wifi...

Archste

Reaction score
Talked to Verizon last night about it. They confirmed that it is a known issue and that moto and big red are working on a software fix. He said that there is a temp fix by going into settings/mobile networks/ and switching it to cdma only. Turn the phone off, pull the battery and the sim card for 20 secs and power it back on.
So I thought I would give this a try even though that would disable the 4g and I bought it for the 4g. Result, the phone says I have 3g now, but it is in grey not blue and I still have no data.
Sure they may eventually fix it but come on, Master of all machines is a paper weight without data connection.
My advise to everyone, take the phone back. Don't even exchange it, return it and use something else for the next few weeks until the Nexus Prime comes out. Now I am over my 14 days, but I am going in to the store tomorrow with goal of returning it and using my OG D until the Prime comes out.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Talked to Verizon last night about it. They confirmed that it is a known issue and that moto and big red are working on a software fix. He said that there is a temp fix by going into settings/mobile networks/ and switching it to cdma only. Turn the phone off, pull the battery and the sim card for 20 secs and power it back on.
So I thought I would give this a try even though that would disable the 4g and I bought it for the 4g. Result, the phone says I have 3g now, but it is in grey not blue and I still have no data.
Sure they may eventually fix it but come on, Master of all machines is a paper weight without data connection.
My advise to everyone, take the phone back. Don't even exchange it, return it and use something else for the next few weeks until the Nexus Prime comes out. Now I am over my 14 days, but I am going in to the store tomorrow with goal of returning it and using my OG D until the Prime comes out.

Patience is a virtue. It's your choice, but when the update comes out and if everything is working fine, are you going to regret it? What if you're not satisfied with the Prime? I'm not judging one phone over the other. Seeing as you're already over you're 14 days, you can't return it anyways, they will just replace it, which may actually help your situation.

rvcjew

Reaction score
CDMA only will also save you battery life.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Seems like a phone tooted for it's ultra fast data connection would connect to data reliably. I know it's on the roster for the November push, but they should push just this fix ASAP. It's annoying to bring up your browser while you're waiting for your food to be served only to get connected after your food is on the table. (Just a for instance).

bkircher

Reaction score
Ugh So I havent had any sort of signal since about 10am, its now 1230pm. This is sooooo frustrating. I have no idea what to do. I cant call verizon or anything cause I have no signal. Im thinking about doing a reset. I just hope my apps will auto redownload.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ugh So I havent had any sort of signal since about 10am, its now 1230pm. This is sooooo frustrating. I have no idea what to do. I cant call verizon or anything cause I have no signal. Im thinking about doing a reset. I just hope my apps will auto redownload.

You can't do anything until the update so don't even bother trying. It will be fixed.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Patience is a virtue. It's your choice, but when the update comes out and if everything is working fine, are you going to regret it? What if you're not satisfied with the Prime? I'm not judging one phone over the other. Seeing as you're already over you're 14 days, you can't return it anyways, they will just replace it, which may actually help your situation.

For what it's worth. When the Nexus S hit sprint it also had a data bug very similar to what the Bionic has.

At the time Sprint disregard it till enough people complained about it.

Moral if the story: Doesn't matter what the device is, bugs like this can happen. It's what we get when we grab first release products with first gen stuff. Honesty, I really don't know any phone released that doesn't have some bug in it.

Just be happy that this one if fixable, and we don't have to buy bumpers to get our phones working.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

wooddale

Reaction score
Did you guys try toogling airplane mode its a pain in the ass but it works for me

TatDroid

Reaction score
My data drop problem suddenly went away a few days ago. Now it's locked in 3G, even though it's set to LTE/CDMA. I spend most of my day in a strong LTE area (I received a nice LTE signal the first 3 weeks of BIONIC ownership) but only 3G now. I haven't tried to toggle to see if I can get 4G back because, to be honest, I'm happier stuck in 3G than I was loosing all data for hours at a time. I'll ride it out for a while and see if a November update fixes this issue.

It's sad, I know. A 4G phone that I'm actually happy is stuck in 3G mode. (Oh, and my batter life is AWESOME now, too!)

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
My data drop problem suddenly went away a few days ago. Now it's locked in 3G, even though it's set to LTE/CDMA. I spend most of my day in a strong LTE area (I received a nice LTE signal the first 3 weeks of BIONIC ownership) but only 3G now. I haven't tried to toggle to see if I can get 4G back because, to be honest, I'm happier stuck in 3G than I was loosing all data for hours at a time. I'll ride it out for a while and see if a November update fixes this issue.

It's sad, I know. A 4G phone that I'm actually happy is stuck in 3G mode. (Oh, and my batter life is AWESOME now, too!)

I love LTE, but if I lived in a strong 3G area I'd be ok with it. I've been in areas where I got 2mbps on 3G. Which while not as amazing as 10mbps LTE, is enough to comfortably do stuff.

SigSoldat

Reaction score
I bought mine 30 days ago. Had to replace sim card upon activation. Data was working fine for a week, then stopped. I powered the phone down, started it back up, and went for a couple weeks with no loss. Then I traveled four hours away and, on my return home, the data was lost again. I don't know if it was caused by travel or just a coincidence. I powered down and data came right back. Last night I went to bed with full 3G and this morning, it was gone. I've done multiple power downs, toggled Airplane mode, pulled the battery, and performed a complete rendition of Napoleon Dynamite's dance routine with a live cat draped over my left shoulder, but data is not coming back.

I waited for two months for this phone to come out, and then I waited a week before buying to see what people thought. I guess I should learn my lesson and never buy any gadget until it's been out for a few months so the bugs can be worked out. I'm happy with it when it's working, but data is 100% necessary for my work and this is going to affect my productivity if I can't get it working quickly!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I bought mine 30 days ago. Had to replace sim card upon activation. Data was working fine for a week, then stopped. I powered the phone down, started it back up, and went for a couple weeks with no loss. Then I traveled four hours away and, on my return home, the data was lost again. I don't know if it was caused by travel or just a coincidence. I powered down and data came right back. Last night I went to bed with full 3G and this morning, it was gone. I've done multiple power downs, toggled Airplane mode, pulled the battery, and performed a complete rendition of Napoleon Dynamite's dance routine with a live cat draped over my left shoulder, but data is not coming back.

I waited for two months for this phone to come out, and then I waited a week before buying to see what people thought. I guess I should learn my lesson and never buy any gadget until it's been out for a few months so the bugs can be worked out. I'm happy with it when it's working, but data is 100% necessary for my work and this is going to affect my productivity if I can't get it working quickly!

I'll say it again .. wait for the update...

wooddale

Reaction score

I agree with you 100% Im retired so I dont need it for work but its still a pain in the a$$. Screw waiting for update they should fix it know not wait a month so they can wait fir other crap to go wrong so they can fix it all at one time. Like you I can get my data back goung through the dances but what about the poir people that cant dance. It and Moto both suck. So know I have to wait a couple months to get it wright by which time it will be outdated. Should have just stuck with the Thunderbolt which works like the Bionic is supposed to.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I'll say it again .. wait for the update...

I say for the first time, that November is probably not acceptable for anyone. Hurrah for the November fix, if it comes, and if it works. We all have seen how VZW deadlines come and go. Lots of folks come here for solutions that we can not get from anyone at VZW. What you need to reply, albeit over and over again, is the fix is rumored to come in November. In the mean time here has what has worked for others (me). Sometimes,Toggle Airplane mode, other times Toggle CDMA/LTE and CDMA only. Compile a list from others. You are our only hope, (looks around) Obi-Wan Kenobi