Another Bionic that can't get a data connection... no 4G/3G/1X signal.. only wifi...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Had same problem. I finally was able to return my phone and get a replacement. The new phone works perfect.

That's good to hear!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Mondingo

Reaction score
I am on my second bionic and this one has the same problem. All though it seems to work better , I believe it is a software issue they have to fix. Verizon will not give me another phone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I am on my second bionic and this one has the same problem. All though it seems to work better , I believe it is a software issue they have to fix. Verizon will not give me another phone.

Such a PITA. You'd think something like this would have been fixed sooner

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Had same issue near philly, thought it was because I was near high power lines... shrug

OP
D

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I had this happen a second time to me... now I know it wasn't due to a Verizon signal outage... it's the Bionic. I showed it to the Verizon store manager where I bought it... they had plenty of 4G signal in the store. :)

He couldn't figure out why, and replaced it for me. If it has something to do with not being able to reacquire a signal after being disconnected, then I know where it happens... at work in my office, hardly any signal at all most times. So when I get to work, I'll switch it to airplane mode and then take if off airplane mode when leaving the building.

If it does happen again, I'll be back to the Verizon store raising holy hell about this $300 POS that can't get it up on the LTE network.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I had this happen a second time to me... now I know it wasn't due to a Verizon signal outage... it's the Bionic. I showed it to the Verizon store manager where I bought it... they had plenty of 4G signal in the store. :)

He couldn't figure out why, and replaced it for me. If it has something to do with not being able to reacquire a signal after being disconnected, then I know where it happens... at work in my office, hardly any signal at all most times. So when I get to work, I'll switch it to airplane mode and then take if off airplane mode when leaving the building.

If it does happen again, I'll be back to the Verizon store raising holy hell about this $300 POS that can't get it up on the LTE network.

Hopefully a fix comes soon from Moto. Or at least an explanation.

R_D

Reaction score
I then remembered what another Verizon technician told me a while back when having problems with my other Droids, and that was that "when upgrading to a new phone and having problems, DON'T RESTORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION/PROFILE when signing into your Google account on your new phone" because many times this information gets corrupted and restoring your profile by checking that box basically restores the errors too (sorry but I forget the actual name of this check box but it refers to your personal info, private data, profile or similar wording).

I did not recover my personal data when I set up my bionic and I occasionally have the same problem with no connection, so I do not believe that is the cause for the majority of people.

In and out of airplane mode a couple times usually fixes it, but sometimes I have to restart fully, and even after the full restart, it takes forever to actually connect.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I went to a vzw store today and was lucky enough to get a manager.

He contacted tech support (forgot which level). And they say it was an issue on their end and something with switches. So they reset some stuff (network end) and so far It's been good for me. Hoping it will continue into tomorrow!

tomsyco

Reaction score
There is way to much confusion around this issue. For some people Verizon says it's their fault, for others they blame Moto. Wish they would just figure this out already. Way to many people have this phone already to be waffling around like this.

rctp10

Reaction score
Does anyone go into running applications and kill apps on there own? I have noticed that when i go in and kill google services it will mess up the data connection, kinda obvious but i was wondering if people would kill this not knowing.

M

Mullensbb

This seems to be in issue that is repairing among a small percentage of phones. Call the tech support, both verizon and motorola, just to be on record speaking about your issue then go into verizon the next time it happens and swap it out for a replacement.

The reason I say call verizon tech support first is because a store rep will often call tech support anyways

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I don't think the data loss is related to the phones, as Im on 2nd phone, and its sporadic. I think it has to do with what apps you have running. IE: maps, navigator, music, etc. Between 10 of us we tested it on 10 diff bionics and data was loss on all of them in the same areas. Running the same apps. Then reappears at the same time. I just think, if/when we get the firmware update they will configure it so that this is also working better. But I agree, you should call and report it. The more complaints they receive the faster it will get done.

JimJ

Reaction score
I had the absence of any signal several times, too. That just should not happen. Together with that and mine also shutting down randomly, I took it back for a refund. I figured that a replacement is likely to have similar problems during this shakedown (no pun intended) phase.

CDMAengineer

Reaction score
I'm in Houston. And unless Verizon is having network problems (ala Comcast cable), my Bionic is now unable to get any data signal on Verizons OTA system.

Ya, I saw another thread, but I started a new one on purpose so that people can see if it's a growing problem instead of an isolated incident.

If no data signal by tomorrow morning, my 1st stop will be to the Verizon store to exchange it. I will raise holy hell if they try to charge me anything for it too.

I was hoping this phone was gonna kick ass... but with problems like this, it's practically at POS status in my book.

I am very aware of the CDMA system design (having worked on it for years iside Qualcomm). I flew to Tucson this week and when i arrived, I could get a 1x voice upon turning hte phone on there, but no 3G or 4G. Since this phone is a 4G phone, they use the sim card to register your phone in a new network. *228 does not work at all on this phone, although this would clear up this problem.

So the only thing to do is to take hte battery out for a few seconds and put it back in. this unfortunately is the only way to get the phone to do a full reset and re-register. One would think that after years of this routine that both MOT and Qualcomm would have modified the power contol chip to allow you to reset the phone wihtout having to take the battery out.

Anyway, to get your data connection back, just do the battery thing. This is a bug in the Verizon network activation. Of course calling Verizon about this is more frustrating than enlightening. first thing they do (while you are on travel and in an airport with no payphones around) is to say that they cannot help you uless you go find a second telephone to use. they can fix it without this, but the reality is that all the "Other" phones have gone out of business and are not available because the Cellphone has been so sucessful. Someone at VZ needs to rethink their customer service routine for 2011, not 1995.

So, call up Vz and tell them their SIM based authentication stuff is CRAP and they need to upgrade it ASAP.

BTW - if you get a 4G connection on your phone or USB dongle and it still won't connect to the net, this is a cell tower problem. the dongle boots up and caputres your air interfaceas 4g, but the dongle has no network connection to use. Kind of like if you turn on your wifi hot spot wihtout hooking hte ethernet cable to it. Your computer will say you connected to wifi, but you cannot use it. So what happens on the VZ network, is that your device will report 4G, but you will have no IP passing. On the dongle, there is no way to fall back unless you go in and edit the setup of hte dogle by hand to get it to go to 3G only.

Clearly VZ has not gotten all the bugs out of 4G yet. Just would be nice if they understood that they do not have it fixed and were alot more helpful on the phone.