Android @ Work: Google starts Android Enterprise

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
android-ER-shadow2x.max-1000x1000.png

Google launched a new program yesterday, Android Enterprise, aimed at business IT Departments so they know which phones are going to be supported with security updates in the long term. Phones on the Google approved list must meet a minimum specifications requirement and the manufacturer must commit to 3 years of security updates. Also, all phones on the list must be within 90 days on security updates.
As an IT Professional myself that supports the phones in my office I will absolutely recommend and maybe enforce this list on my employees. Security is very important in my industry (legal).
Suspiciously absent from the recommended list is Samsung with not one phone making the cut.

Here's the list:
  • BlackBerry KEYone and Motion

• Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, and Pixel 2 XL

• Huawei Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro, P10, P10 Plus, P10 Lite, and P smart

• LG V30 and G6

• Motorola X4 and Z2

• Nokia 8

• Sony Xperia XZ1, XZ1 Compact, XZ Premium, XA2, and XA2 Ultra
Source: Google

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
just about every major brand but samsung???? sounds like they did not want to pay off google to me. based on the specifications requirements list, there is no reason for them not to have at least one phone on the list.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Sounds to me like they didn't want to commit to 3 years of security updates.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah but I'm surprised Huawei is on the list considering (Citing risks but no evidence, US intel chiefs warn against using Huawei, ZTE phones | ZDNet).

I'm surprised but not about Samsung. Surprised because you would think they would do whatever it took to be an "Enterprise" phone considering they trying to get more of that Apple money. And with Apple supplanting the blackberry as the phone companies purchase for their employees because of security I really thought Samsung would have been the Android equivalent.

I'm not surprised because we know that Samsung does not seem to like that word update.

Hmm could Google eventually grow to become that Android equivalent that companies choose. Considering the pixel phones are cheaper this could be interesting. Problem is will Google be willing or able to provide the support that Apple has, because that could be the thing that separates.

Moto is on that list... Businesses don't sleep on Moto.

"Hello Moto".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
samsung does get the security updates and most of their phones are usually updated by one letter. might be a bit slow but...
They could... should do much better considering how much their phones cost.

But true you are correct there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I'm confused. My company just got Android Enterprise/Android@Work today and it absolutely works on my Galaxy S8. Only requirements were that it couldn't be rooted and it had to be Android 7.0 or newer.

I mean, I'm forced to use Google apps like Gmail and Google Calendar, etc, but that doesn't bother me. The email app is the only Samsung app I really use, and I already had to get a separate email app for work on the old BYOD system we were on, so it's not like it's adding onto my apps list.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm confused. My company just got Android Enterprise/Android@Work today and it absolutely works on my Galaxy S8. Only requirements were that it couldn't be rooted and it had to be Android 7.0 or newer.

I mean, I'm forced to use Google apps like Gmail and Google Calendar, etc, but that doesn't bother me. The email app is the only Samsung app I really use, and I already had to get a separate email app for work on the old BYOD system we were on, so it's not like it's adding onto my apps list.
No, that's not the same thing. This is only a list of approved phones. That's it. Lots of phones can run Gsuite and be part of that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk