Android widens its lead over Apple in the U.S.,the ultimate prize is RIM's slot at #1

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Android widens its lead over Apple in the U.S., the ultimate prize is RIM's slot at number 1

Even-as-Android-widens-its-lead-over-Apple-in-the-U.S.-the-ultimate-prize-is-RIMs-slot-at-number-1

The latest numbers from metrics firm comScore show a pair of trends that remain in force in the U.S. smartphone market. Android is gainining ground on RIM's #1 on U.S. The Smart Phone Market. While moving farther away from the Apple iPhone for second place.

source:Phonearena VIA: AppleInsider

Google's open source OS and Apple's iOS were the only two platforms to gain ground in Q4 of 2010​

alanbk

Reaction score
With the release of the Verizon iPhone, it will be interesting to see what happens to these umbers in the upcoming months.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It should change in favor of Apple. Thats a given. Take some that switch from Android, take some that leave RIM and MS for the iPhone, take first time smartphone users getting the iPhone and its in favor of Apple.

What will be the wildcard is ppl switching from AT&T. If alot or enough switch from AT&T its gonna balance the market share gains Apple could get from the iPhone being on Verizon.

In any case it will be interesting by the end of the year.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I'm liking this news, but I have one question.
Why is google marked as being misspelled?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Apple will reverse those trends coming to VZW, but VZW & AT&T are 2/3 the market, double what the IPhone reaches now. But in Q4 Android was outselling the IPhone nearly 3 to 1, so any reversal would seem to be temporary. Plus, as noted, the IPhone will see stiffer competition at AT&T from Android.

Granted, people at VZW and AT&T delayed purchases waiting for the VZW IPhone. But consider that Android sales probably are still a much smaller percentage of upgrades than the IPhone, which is why market share has gone the way it has because like 3/4 of IPhone sales are upgrades.

The competition is good for everyone. The sleeping giant is Nokia, and the CEO sent an internal memo the other day that was surprisingly blunt and forthcoming. Their platform is burning, and now speculation they may look outside to be competitive. Might Apple finally consider licensing IOS? WinMo could use Nokia badly. Of course, Nokie would not have to pay a licensing fee for Android...

Reaction score
I'm liking this news, but I have one question.
Why is google marked as being misspelled?

"Google" is a made up word that is made to sound similar to the real word googol which is the number 1 followed by a hundred zeros. So technically "Google" is a mispelling.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here we go...lol

Unless it can be duplicated with a piece of finger like the AT&T iPhone...this will look like the crazy Apple videos saying other companies have antenna problems too.

spillner

Reaction score
With all the different Android phones being sold, as well as being on every carrier, we should be ahead of Apple. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. If anything this article should read, "Google ahead of Apple by a mere %3.7, despite selling multiple phones on multiple carriers"

When apple sells different versions of their phone (and they never will) then this will mean something.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Trust me, just having alot of phones on every carriers doesnt necessarily guarantee success..ask MS about Win Mo..

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With all the different Android phones being sold, as well as being on every carrier, we should be ahead of Apple. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. If anything this article should read, "Google ahead of Apple by a mere %3.7, despite selling multiple phones on multiple carriers"

When apple sells different versions of their phone (and they never will) then this will mean something.

it's a HUGE trend, imo. how many years has the iOS been around? and, how many years, with how many different phones, and how many different carriers has RIM been around? in a little over a year, Andy has overtaken the iOS, and is closing in, FAST, on RIM. to me, that speaks volumes.

the iP4 (and 5) on vzw will have an impact on the market shares, no question. but, given the recent trends of how fast Andy has been outselling iOS, i don't think that Andy is going to take a huge hit. it will take a hit, no question, but i think the biggest hit is going to be to RIM, unless it comes out with something spectacular, and soon. at year's end, my prediction is: #1 Andy; #2 iOS; and RIM making a dramatic fall to #3. If iOS were to overtake Andy, i don't think it would be at the expense of Andy users (although there will be some), but at RIM's expense.

although i understand it to some extent, if i were Andy or Apple, i wouldn't be focused so much on trying to convince people that Andy is better than iOS or vice versa. instead, i would be targeting BlackBerry users, since i think that is who's vulnerable, and where the greatest potential for customer growth lies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
it's a HUGE trend, imo. how many years has the iOS been around? and, how many years, with how many different phones, and how many different carriers has RIM been around? in a little over a year, Andy has overtaken the iOS, and is closing in, FAST, on RIM. to me, that speaks volumes.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the one vs. many options on both sides. IOS will lose share, but IPhone will continue to be the best selling handset because of it's huge installed base. Apple is not dumb - they know as the market becomes commoditized that they'll make more money off premium positioning leveraging the brand/image by bundling the OS and hardware. They would weaken the brand/value of both by splitting that union, nor do they appear to have any interest in the added complexity of rolling out additional options which could negatively impact quality.

I think if Nokia and WinMo do partner there will end-up being 3 major players in this market, possibly 4 if RIM ever gets its act together.

I also expect a major assault from both IOS and Android on the enterprise market this year. The outlook for RIM is dire.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are advantages and disadvantages to the one vs. many options on both sides. IOS will lose share, but IPhone will continue to be the best selling handset because of it's huge installed base. Apple is not dumb - they know as the market becomes commoditized that they'll make more money off premium positioning leveraging the brand/image by bundling the OS and hardware. They would weaken the brand/value of both by splitting that union, nor do they appear to have any interest in the added complexity of rolling out additional options which could negatively impact quality.

I think if Nokia and WinMo do partner there will end-up being 3 major players in this market, possibly 4 if RIM ever gets its act together.

I also expect a major assault from both IOS and Android on the enterprise market this year. The outlook for RIM is dire.

agree wholeheartedly with both of these points - well said!

spillner

Reaction score
If the iPhone were available on all carriers these numbers would not even be close (I'm sorry but if you believe otherwise your fooling yourself). I'm more excited that we're catching up to RIM than we are beating Apple. It means more to beat company who has a similar marketing strategy (more phones on all networks) than it does to beat a company that has one phone on one network (until later that is).

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be happy that Android is doing well, but every time I see these statistics I can't help but say "well duh". Now if there was a single Android phone that was beating the iPhone than I'd say congratulations. Just my opinion.