New comScore Data: Google and Apple Continue Rapid Growth at Expense of RIM & Others

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
comScore-feb-may2011-changes.png

There is some new comScore marketing research data online now, showing the continued dominance of Android. Apple is still growing a bit too, and both are doing so at the expense of RIM, Microsoft and everyone else. From February to May of this year, Android gained another 5 percentage points to top out at 38.1% of U.S. Smartphone subscribers. Apple follows that up with a paltry 1.4 percentage point gain to hold on to 26.6%, but at least they are still gaining. RIM dropped another -4.2% points, from 28.9% to 24.7%... ouch! Microsoft and Palm round out the bottom. It's almost sad to see Microsoft actually lose ground since they only recently jumped into the smartphone OS game, and you practically can't really count Palm in the game anymore with a measly 2.4% market share, down from 2.8%. In every game, whether it is "just for fun" or "real life", there will be winners and losers. Obviously the real winners in this game are consumers, at least as long as good competition continues to make the technological advancements thrive. If the Android continues to dominate in the growth category, that may change, but it will be an interesting show to see how it plays out.

Source: AndroidPolice and comScore

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
haha these reports never make sense, just a week ago Android had stalled and Apple was "the driving force" and now we see Android jumping 5 percentage points and Apple is "paltry". I guess numbers can be spun any way someone wants. Maybe I'm just reading these conflicting reports wrong? Someone correct me if I am...

But I think everyone agrees that RIM, Palm and Microsoft are pretty much dead in the water right now.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
haha these reports never make sense, just a week ago Android had stalled and Apple was "the driving force" and now we see Android jumping 5 percentage points and Apple is "paltry". I guess numbers can be spun any way someone wants. Maybe I'm just reading these conflicting reports wrong? Someone correct me if I am...

But I think everyone agrees that RIM, Palm and Microsoft are pretty much dead in the water right now.

Yeah, I think the only thing to conclude from this is RIM's continued descent into irrelevancy.

azules9780

Reaction score
The sad part is some people in RIM see it and others don't but no matter what, no one there is doing anything about it. At least they have a chance to survive, turn it around and then thrive. Palm doesn't really have that option. And Microsoft is having trouble getting off the ground.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I just said something similar at another site a few weeks ago...lol

Every article, every quarter its changing. One time it was Android is losing, the iPhone is gaining, then its Android is losing, so is the iPhone then a few weeks later Android is not gaining or losing and the iPhone is gaining..

All articles were about the first quarter...I gave up after seeing that.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And I agree about RIM and MS. If MS gets its way with other manufactures using Android.....they should just dump WP7 and make money off of Android.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
And I agree about RIM and MS. If MS gets its way with other manufactures using Android.....they should just dump WP7 and make money off of Android.

haha yeah they want Samsung paying them $15 for every android handset sold...that would give them multi-millions of dollars of pure profit...:icon_ banana:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I just said something similar at another site a few weeks ago...lol

Every article, every quarter its changing. One time it was Android is losing, the iPhone is gaining, then its Android is losing, so is the iPhone then a few weeks later Android is not gaining or losing and the iPhone is gaining..

All articles were about the first quarter...I gave up after seeing that.

Ditto. I don't trust these numbers, or articles or activation statistics. I think like pdroid said the main thing we can take away from this is RIM is dying a thousand deaths haha