Android Wear Improvements On The Way Thanks To Cronologics Acquisition.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I personally love Android Wear. My Huawei Watch is one of my favorite gadgets mostly because it allows me to check the time and notifications without having to pause life to dig my phone out of my pocket. The UI does leave a bit to be desired. Google is looking to improve on the UI of Android Wear. They have just acquired Cronologics. The CoWatch is also part of the acquisition. It's biggest selling point was the ability to communicate with Amazon Alexa.

The Cronologics team has made a statement on their site saying that they will continue to innovate in the smartwatch world going forward with Android Wear 2.0 and beyond. Google will now hold off releasing Android Wear 2.0 until early 2017. Could this be more of an interest in developing a smartwatch that communicates with Google Home, or is Google interested in improving the actual Android Wear OS?

via Cronologics

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I'm hoping my LG Urbane will get 2.0. Personally I'm liking the direction smart watches are going. We just need to be able to side load or run full android apps. At least some of them would be nice. I really want a S-Health Like App or S-Health to work with the Urbane. Fit doesn't "Fit" for me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We just need to be able to side load or run full android apps.

I'd settle for just being able to side UNLOAD apps. Nothing irritates me more than an app I like and need on my phone installing itself on my limited watch storage with no way to get rid of it unless I uninstall from my phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think it's funny that they seem to be taking their time with AW 2.0 when we get updates for phones that are buggy and glitchy pretty often (not as bad as we used to, though). They need to hurry up and update, or the ship is going to sail. Moto has already said they don't have plans to refresh the 360 with AW 2.0.

I love my Urbane and wouldn't be bummed with no update as long as it keeps functioning the way it does, but I always enjoy getting new features and would like to upgrade to a newer AW watch some day. At the rate things are going, I'm not sure they'll still be making any that are worth buying by the time I'm ready for that though...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I agree Jonny. I was excited for AW 2.0, and was looking forward to trying out new functionality. With all of the delays I don't even really think about it anymore, and not really excited for it.

Overall though, I like the direction AW is headed, enjoy using it every day and don't see myself going back to a traditional watch anytime soon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I missed the part about communicating with Home when I first read the original post. Not sure what Google may have in mind with Home functionality on a watch? Since the Home is almost all voice controlled, I'm not sure what a Home app on the watch would bring to the table? Curious to see if they do incorporate something since I have a Home and a smart watch.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have a first gen Moto 360 that I can't wear anymore. The battery doesn't last that long anymore. Just like any phone, the battery doesn't hold a complete charge and shuts off before noon. This is what I don't like about smart watches. I wore my 360 every day until the battery started to fail. I don't want to pay for a smart watch that I will have to replace in a couple years. I already do that with my phone.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I missed the part about communicating with Home when I first read the original post. Not sure what Google may have in mind with Home functionality on a watch? Since the Home is almost all voice controlled, I'm not sure what a Home app on the watch would bring to the table? Curious to see if they do incorporate something since I have a Home and a smart watch.

This is true. At first i though the "Ok Google" on the Watch to do things for home but that would activate Home without the Watch. Unless you can Control Home from the Watch without being in that Room. We'll have to wait and See.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
With so many wearable operating systems, why are we so hung up on Android Wear? There are open source technologies out there that look pretty nice. I was weary of getting anything but an AW watch, until I found out that AW 2.0 would be delayed. The whole reason to stick with something like AW was because it was suppose to be stable. We have Tizen, Android (not Android Wear), Asteroid OS, and TicWear OS to name a few. Speaking of TicWear OS, they have terrific looking watches, for great prices as well (Tic Watch).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With so many wearable operating systems, why are we so hung up on Android Wear? There are open source technologies out there that look pretty nice. I was weary of getting anything but an AW watch, until I found out that AW 2.0 would be delayed. The whole reason to stick with something like AW was because it was suppose to be stable. We have Tizen, Android (not Android Wear), Asteroid OS, and TicWear OS to name a few. Speaking of TicWear OS, they have terrific looking watches, for great prices as well (Tic Watch).
I've had a Gear S for almost 2 years. When I worked retail I used it a ton, like a pda on my wrist and seldom for what AW is limited to. Now that I'm working on a lumber yard I use the s-pen on my phone a ton and my watch seldom other than a calculator and a phone. I never even notice the notifications anymore. With AW being delayed yet again, if/when my S dies I doubt I'll even replace it with anything.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><