Android Wear 2.0 Announced

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why is no one talking about the "Together" feature of AW 2.0? Supposedly Google took all of the Together watchface functionality and baked it directly into AW 2.0. Is it not there, or just nobody using it? Just curious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So why is no one talking about the "Together" feature of AW 2.0? Supposedly Google took all of the Together watchface functionality and baked it directly into AW 2.0. Is it not there, or just nobody using it? Just curious.

I haven't seen it if it's there...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks Jonny. I kind of figured that folks probably forgot about it, or it's not that handy to use. Haven't seen much AW 2.0 chatter on any forum.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what "together" is, but I don't think I've seen it and I've explored all of AW 2.0 (there's really not much there).

I'm really digging the "complications", but finding it hard to track down a watchface that I like with the ability to customize complications beyond the most basic.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is a Google tidbit about the old Together watch face and what 2.0 was supposed to incorporate:

Together was a watch face that allowed two Android Wear users to link their watches together. They could then use their watches to send each other little messages, drawings, or tiny updates regarding whatever activities they were currently performing. Users could also send their friends emoji, stickers, or photos directly from the Together watch face.

Android Wear 2.0 will allow users to send out little notes that you handwrite on the smartwatch itself (and hope that your device can recognize what you're trying to say). You can also swipe through a tiny keyboard to pick letters to form your messages, or select from three pre-written messages if you just need to quickly reply to someone while you're otherwise engaged in something else.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here is a Google tidbit about the old Together watch face and what 2.0 was supposed to incorporate:

Together was a watch face that allowed two Android Wear users to link their watches together. They could then use their watches to send each other little messages, drawings, or tiny updates regarding whatever activities they were currently performing. Users could also send their friends emoji, stickers, or photos directly from the Together watch face.

Android Wear 2.0 will allow users to send out little notes that you handwrite on the smartwatch itself (and hope that your device can recognize what you're trying to say). You can also swipe through a tiny keyboard to pick letters to form your messages, or select from three pre-written messages if you just need to quickly reply to someone while you're otherwise engaged in something else.

Yeah. I remember that. Well, I mean... You can send messages from Hangouts & Messenger. Allo requires you to have received a message. You can only reply from it.

I haven't seen any kind of direct watch to watch messaging. Granted, I haven't looked for it...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Now that my wife has a Moto 360 and we are both waiting on AW 2.0 I was hoping that Google did incorporate some of the Together direct-connect functionality; easier than just using the standard apps that we already use on our phones & Watches.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Looks like Moto is finally rolling out Android Wear 2.0 to the Moto 360 Sport.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sounds like Google is going to try and provide us more AW functionality & bug fixes via watch Play Store app updates to the Android Wear app; versus waiting on all new OS updates. Sounds like a decent plan.

New Android Wear 2.0 features can now be delivered through the Play Store, no OTA required
New Android Wear 2.0 features can now be delivered through the Play Store, no OTA required

I saw that too. Makes perfect sense. They did that with phone features so long ago...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
We probably get the same Google news feed Jonny. And I agree, it works pretty good for phones, so it should work good for watches also. I guess I am starting to like the Play Store app being embedded into the watch a little more, and can understand why they made that decision.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We probably get the same Google news feed Jonny. And I agree, it works pretty good for phones, so it should work good for watches also.

Wear App Manager for the win! That's really the best way to add/delete apps from your phone to your watch.

I even managed to sideload an app onto my watch with ADB over bluetooth. There's a few more I might try that with (because the AW2.0 version is not really standalone). But for the most part, developers are just slacking - AW2.0 really enables apps to be standalone but in many cases we are still stuck with companion apps.