Android Video Game Console!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
picture2-1.png

If you thought Android was just for smartphones and tablets, you may want to think again. A company called Envizions just sent out a press release today of an Android based, social gaming console called the Evo 2. And no it is not the sequel to the Sprint HTC Evo.

As the name suggests, there was an Evo 1 that apparently never saw the light of day(?) and I immediately would have filed this under vaporware except for the fact that Envizions is actually offering the developer version of the Evo 2 for free on their website. And for the first 1,000 developers who sign up, developer fees and royaltees will be waived even though an annual $150 software support fee still applies.

While the press release hasn’t given us too much detailed information on the hardware, it does appear that this Android gaming console will be packing an unspecified 1.2 GHz Samsung processor that should handle 3D gaming pretty nicely, 512MB of RAM, and some sort of “modified” Android 2.2 operating system. The manufacturer also mentions that the console will see constant software updates and will allow for users to modify any part of the system (root permissions and custom ROMs anyone?).

What do you guys think? Is there a place in the market for an Android gaming console like this? Or do you think this will fail harder than Google TV? I’m definitely curious to hear your thoughts in the comments below and If you feel so inclined, you can even preorder the console here.

SOURCE: EVO 2 console promises to bring Android gaming to your TV this fall -- Engadget

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
If it wasn't for that $150 fee I'd sign up to grab the dev console.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
really? thats not even alot considered to the 1000 they are asking...and its still in development. that means its like that for the devs out there to work on. thats why they are only charging 150 right now

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
really? thats not even alot considered to the 1000 they are asking...and its still in development. that means its like that for the devs out there to work on. thats why they are only charging 150 right now

I don't have the money to spend on it that's why.

If I did, then yeah $150 wouldn't be too bad.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

I don't have the money to spend on it that's why.

If I did, then yeah $150 wouldn't be too bad.
oo i see...yea tough economy still. lol

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I dunno, it looks pretty sketchy to me. Didn't see much hardware spec detail, and they noted "it could change." Probably not a scam...but does look like vaporware.

-Matt

kenbiz

Reaction score
What kind of games? Do I have to play them on that little screen? Multiplayer? I don't know ill just stick with my 2 consoles for gaming.

spillner

Reaction score
This looks stupid. $150 annual fee? Android games are OK but considering I spend maybe $10 a year on games, this seems like a rip off that will fail.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This looks stupid. $150 annual fee? Android games are OK but considering I spend maybe $10 a year on games, this seems like a rip off that will fail.
thats for developers to keep up to date with the software...

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com