Android TV users doubled over the past year

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
android-tv-intro-pic.jpg

It's a little bit tough to see the big picture when we're stuck looking at the news that interests us as consumers, but Android TV has made large strides away from our observing gaze. In less than a year, ever since hardware from the Android TV Operator Tier started coming to the market, many Pay TV providers around the world have switched their boxes to run Google's software. The result: new Android TV users have doubled in the last year.

Continue @ AndroidPolice.com

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have android TV on my sony, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! it's sooo much better than ANY other smart TV OS I've used... webOS is nice, but comparatively garbage, samsung... meh... I 100% android TV and think it needs to become the default built in smart TV software..

Gremlin

Reaction score
I looked at the Sony TV since my old one died. I liked the display, but the speakers were scaring me a bit..

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Sony TV since my old one died. I liked the display, but the speakers were scaring me a bit..
That's what sound bars are for... Or a system...

Honestly my 4k xbr65x850c is hands down one of the best televisions I've ever owned... Gaming, video... Sportsball.... All of it I've even used it for a monitor.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Man, it's super tempting and Android TV looks beautiful, but I can't really justify it. I already have a 4K TV with WebOS, a Chromecast, and an Apple TV lol

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I don't think I would every buy a tv and rely on its smart apps and channels. from what I read and my experiences, they tend to update the tv firmware but not the apps so some apps will quit working after a few years. I will stick with a box because it is so much cheaper to replace.

as far as the android tv box, I am a bit worry about their relationship with the cable industry. You really cannot trust the cable industry these days and who knows if they will ruin a good thing.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would every buy a tv and rely on its smart apps and channels. from what I read and my experiences, they tend to update the tv firmware but not the apps so some apps will quit working after a few years. I will stick with a box because it is so much cheaper to replace.

as far as the android tv box, I am a bit worry about their relationship with the cable industry. You really cannot trust the cable industry these days and who knows if they will ruin a good thing.
Which is why android tv works its like a giant tablet

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Which is why android tv works its like a giant tablet

which to me is worrisome. I have an old table samsung tablet that some video apps will no longer work on it. can the app creator for the android tv guarantee the app will still be working 10 years from now? maybe I have been burned too often with new tech to trust right now.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Especially after Google removed youtube app from smart devices dated prior to 2012. What an ass move that was! Had to splurge $25 for roku just to get youtube back working.

Wilsondrake

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 5
Well that is true with the growth of Android OS, the usage of Android television is also growing. The credit would also go to the ease of use and availability of so many apps for Android such as Mobdro, Kodi, Plex may be Stremio and more. More and more users are going Cord Cutters and opting for media devices and streaming through these players. And to add, that more and more products are being made based on Android with Google Assistant Built In such as the JBL Sound Bar.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have linux computers on my tv's for my cord cutting experience. I do have one roku. one point, it may sound great to have google assistant on a sound bar but if it is playing loud, forget trying to use it. It just won't hear you. It would be better if the ai and speakers were separate and across the room from each other.

RyanPm40

Reaction score

I mean, worst case is that once apps are no longer supported, you just have a normal TV and can switch to Android TV or whatever you want anyways, so it doesn't really bother me.

DylanCooper

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s7 edge
Twitter
@dylan_cooper
Android users are increasing day by day because of its innovative products.So yes this statement is quite true.