Google's Next Major Consumer Project Push Could be Android TV

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's not that simple...while you subsidize sports lovers, they also subsidize content they don't particularly care for. So whether or not you win on an "a la carte" deal comes down to how popular your favorite channels are relative to production costs. You're assuming sports viewers represent a smaller % of subscribers relative to the cost of sports programming.

I actually very rarely watch ESPN or Fox Sports, but if it's 1/3 of my basic cable rate then I'm paying about $7/mo for the two. I'd put my break-even at about 3 events a year.

Bundled deal typically create a surplus because lower marketing/distribution/overhead enables the consumer and company to share in those savings. If I were to count up my favorite tv shows I watch regularly...let's just call it a dozen shows x 20 episodes would equal $20/mo (at $1 per show on Itunes, etc...). That's before watching anything else or any sports events - I'd save $30/mo dropping cable so I "subsidize" a total of $10/mo. I just don't see how that's a bad deal or a rip-off.

More networks are offering their content online for free (with ads)...so you're welcome to cut the cord if you can wait a week after new shows air. Of course if everyone were to do this then inevitably home broadband prices will go up significantly, likely increasing to a price we currently pay for bundled service (because the cable companies are going to get their money one way or the other).

Alternatively in the pay-per-episode model, content choices would necessarily suffer or popular shows would increase in price to subsidize development/launch of new shows. The only people who are really losing or subsidizing other subscribers are those who watch significantly less than the average amount of tv.

Ultimately competition and choices will better align what a consumer pays with perceived value. I'm not sure it's would be very significant for most, and talking real savings will probably be mostly driven by technology advances reducing distribution costs (i.e. high speed wireless).

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
TV should be streamed over the net with pay per show pricing. Any channel, any show. Price it from 25 cents to $1 and people will buy.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I pay $140/month for 300 channels and my internet.
I watch MAYBE 20 of those channels.

I pay so much so that everyone can have ESPN and Disney. THose that don't care about Sports are subsidizing those that do.
Can't find the article I read...

Here's an excerpt from a different article:
"Cox Communications, with 73,000 Northeast Ohio subscribers, is nearing the end of multiyear deals with ESPN and Fox Sports. The two networks' fees already constitute nearly a third of Cox's basic cable rate, and they are reportedly seeking fee hikes of 20 and 35 percent, respectively. Cox, meanwhile, is asking for a double scotch and aspirin."

A THIRD the cost of the basic cable rate. So whether you want it, or not, you HAVE to pay for it.

From another:

https://medium.com/off-the-field/1d7043ed024b

PLEASE, let me ala carte my Cable TV! I don't want sports. I don't want to pay more for sports so that YOU can watch sports.
The system is broken.

For the last 14 years, every spring, congress has a bill introduced for what you seek. Every year it gets shot down by lobbyists in congressional pockets.
Get a free app for your phone called Congress, write your local representatives and tell them you're watching what they're doing. Since I did just that in 2010 my 2 senators and my house representative email me regularly heading off the rant they expect from me. I vote for *****in rights along with my supporting the troops by doing so.
That being said should Android tv take off look for the fcc to stick their noses in and muddy up the water also along with congressional incumbents looking for headlines to get re-elected.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Heck, for that matter you might only need HBO for 1-2 months a year. Just subscribe for a month to catch-up on that year's shows (and binge watching is usually more satisfying).

Been there, done that. Showtime. Dexter.
Wait til season is over. Buy Showtime for one month and watch it all On Demand. Cancel. ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Showtime. Dexter.
Wait til season is over. Buy Showtime for one month and watch it all On Demand. Cancel. ;)

I really should do this more, even $12/mo adds up. Especially with HBO Go you can then go online and view the entire series history, including past shows like The Wire, etc...

Guess I'm just to impatient to wait 3 months for new seasons to wrap. For that matter, I'm only watching Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, so not sure why I don't at least cancel the other 6 months.