Not open for further replies.

This Green Machine

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ThisGreenMachine.com
android_king.jpg

(This is a guest post by Dave D. from ThisGreenMachine.com. The original article can be found at this link.)

Welcome to musical chairs for the mobile world, where Android is closed, Windows is open, and Steve Jobs is just plain crazy. Each new day seems to reinforce the volatile state of the industry. Glancing back over the past decade paints a dramatic story of changing consumer tastes, flashes of brilliance, and how the current king of the mountain can become Humpty Dumpty the very next day.

The Times, they are A-Changing
It’s strange imagining a world with no iPhone. For some, it’s the only thing they’ve ever known; the New York Times even ran a recent article[1] on how toddlers are now choosing iPhones over traditional toys. It is arguably the most well known single line of tech gadgets today. The fact that Apple has risen to its current level of dominance since the iPhone’s initial release in late 2007 is a testament to Steve Jobs’s incredible vision and execution. But, as displayed in Apple’s latest quarterly earnings call, all might not be well in the House of Jobs. Steve, who almost never speaks on the calls, made a surprise guest appearance. You could almost hear Jobs fidgeting with his crown and scepter as he spent more time lamenting the woes of competitors[2] than the success of iOS. It became almost comical with plenty of “Did he really just say that!?” moments. It appears that Apple is finally acknowledging Android as a real threat.

History Repeats Itself
The cycle of dominance from platform to platform is nothing new. It may be hard to remember, but at one time (2004) Palm held over 50% of the smartphone market in North America, with Symbian coming in second at 30%, for a combined market share of 80%[3]. Just two years later the market was already vastly different: Palm’s market share had plummeted by over half to 20% and Symbian’s to just 10%. In their place Microsoft and RIM were at the forefront with Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices. Of course, since late 2007 when Apple released iPhone, they have been gaining momentum and market share into 2010. While it may be true that Apple never obtained the top spot in outright US market share during this time from RIM, it would be naïve to believe the iPhone wasn’t the best and most popular smartphone at the time.

The Rise of the Robots
As history has shown, the crown seems to pass from head to head every two to three years. With Apple’s time coming to an end, an unlikely candidate is taking their place. With the release of the Motorola Droid in November of 2009, Android began to emerge as a major player in the mobile universe. Once considered a platform for the nerds, Android has evolved into a full featured mobile operating system adopted by the masses. In an impressive vote of confidence, technology research firm Gartner not only projected Android to reach the top in North America by the end of 2010, but also at the top globally by 2014[4], a feat no one has been able to achieve since Symbian took the top global spot years ago.

The Line of Succession
The dominance of Android no longer remains a question[5]. Much to the chagrin of Steve Jobs, Android is here to stay. Purchasing an Android phone is no longer a vote for the underdog, but the result of Android’s mass appeal. The real question is who will take the crown next? The only viable threat comes in the form of Microsoft’s newly reinvented Windows Phone 7. While historically no one has come back from past dominance, the complete refresh could be considered an entirely new OS. Only time will tell whether Android can truly stabilize the North American market and control the top for many years to come. I firmly believe the open source nature of Android could finally buck the trend. The key to survival is fast evolution, something not unfamiliar to Android. If anyone can do it, you better believe it’s Google.

References: [1] New York Times, [2] Wall St Journal, [3] Mobile Thoughts Blog, [4] Gartner, [5] Wall St Journal

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I love android... but just to be fair... The only reason IPhone(iOS phones) isn't @ the top is baaaad marketing. Ifit was available on all networks... If IPhone was offered by Sprint, Verizon, Tmobile... etc as Android, RIM, and Palm phones are. The world would be a dark dark place... run by that *mod edit for inappropriate language* Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladodger1717

Reaction score
I love android... but just to be fair... The only reason IPhone(iOS phones) isn't @ the top is baaaad marketing. Ifit was available on all networks... If IPhone was offered by Sprint, Verizon, Tmobile... etc as Android, RIM, and Palm phones are. The world would be a dark dark place... run by that *mod edit for inappropriate language* Steve.

I agree with you on this one. Who knows if Android would of done as well as they have if Apple was on every network. Would this many people give it a chance if they had an iPhone. But they messed up and Android is a great OS. I now have no interest in the iPhone because I love Android. Thank you Apple, for not allowing me to get the iPhone on Verizon. I have moved on towards a better OS.

Last edited by a moderator:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is a family friendly forum - please do not use profanity. thanks!

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No matter how much I may agree with the sentiment, gotta keep it clean. :)

Big Ry

Reaction score
But how ever would apple find the time for such a thing!? They're scrambling to develop 1 OS that runs on 1 device on 1 network in only a 1 year time frame! That's incredible productivity!!!

ladodger1717

Reaction score
But how ever would apple find the time for such a thing!? They're scrambling to develop 1 OS that runs on 1 device on 1 network in only a 1 year time frame! That's incredible productivity!!!

haha, good stuff.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

considering its outsold android and will set record sales numbers if it comes to verizon, somehow i doubt steve jobs is losing sleep...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think people are grossly overestimating how many people are out there holding out for a smartphone until if and when IPhone comes to VZW.

I don't think there are going to be droves switching from Android, either. 80%+ of those IPhone sales I will bet will be AT&T customers switching to VW.

Now, if VZW offers a 200meg tier for $15 a month, that may entice some new smartphone buyers, but IPhone and Android share of those new buyers will be closer than people think. People under Apple's spell already have an IPhone, for the most part. Apple doesn't have the mind control over people who haven't even gotten a smartphone yet.

Personally, I think if there are Android LTE phones available while IPhone is pushing a 3G model it will get crushed.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think people are grossly overestimating how many people are out there holding out for a smartphone until if and when IPhone comes to VZW.

I don't think there are going to be droves switching from Android, either. 80%+ of those IPhone sales I will bet will be AT&T customers switching to VW.

Now, if VZW offers a 200meg tier for $15 a month, that may entice some new smartphone buyers, but IPhone and Android share of those new buyers will be closer than people think. People under Apple's spell already have an IPhone, for the most part. Apple doesn't have the mind control over people who haven't even gotten a smartphone yet.

Personally, I think if there are Android LTE phones available while IPhone is pushing a 3G model it will get crushed.

you might be grossly underestimating how many people "settled" for android because they didn't want to leave verizon. you're absolutely right, 80% (probably more) will be At&t customers making the switch, but the current VZW customers who switch to the iphone wont be something to laugh at either. Android is not going to get crushed by a VZW iphone, but its definitely going to take a hit.

why? cuz the iphone is simple and it just works out of the box, is user friendly and everyone and their mother has heard of it and thinks its God's gift to smartphones. marketing works, believe it or not. the millions that apple spends on advertising are what make the iphone the phone that most people want

i'm sticking with android but i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority...who knows, we'll see.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
why? cuz the iphone is simple and it just works out of the box

So does Android. You may also be underestimating people who plan to switch from AT&T who get a look at the superior specs of the Android phones, especially if LTE is a factor.

I also think some people might switch, or might want to, but when push comes to shove and they think about the cost (for apps) and time to learn and set-up a new phone it just ain't going to happen. Will be lots of "switchers remorse" when people say "darn, I REALLY liked those widgets".

Also, don't discount the impact of the newer Android phones going to AT&T. I think net-net there's not going to be a significant shift in share and growth between the two. The people most easily influenced by Apple's marketing have long ago bought IPhones...It's not like people are buying MAC's in droves. The "status symbol" doesn't apply to these people enough to have gotten an IPhone already, much less even a smartphone. Those people are more likely to compare specs and functionality because they buy for need, not status, and I think Android has an edge there.

Status
Not open for further replies.