Android: The new king of the mobile castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i love my D1, but it hardly just "works" out of the box. i can't imagine going back to stock processor speed after i've overclocked. and even with the overclock there's still residual lag. same with EVERY android device out there regardless of its processor. None have the fluidity and simplicity that the iPhone has and that's what makes the iPhone such a coveted product.

i dont know...the people i know dont know much about specs and features...they're the average consumer...they go with the marketing (that doesn't make them dumb it makes them human).

i don't know anyone who says "Can't wait for LTE to get here!!" or "Isn't it great we can root our droids??!" Not saying there's not alot of people like that out there, but the average consumer doesnt care about such things, and probably doesn't even know about such things.

what they do know is the cool apple commercials with a catchy tune and the "there's an app for that" crap...it is what it is. the iphone (and ipod) don't sell because of its specs, it sells because of how its marketed as the "it" phone.

i know so many people who have droids (and love them) who still say they're switching if vzw ever gets an iphone. i dont know anyone (except myself) whos staying with android regardless of whether iphone comes to VZW or not.

again, the average consumer (average in the sense of tech "knowledge") is the majority of the consumers. they don't care about processors, and widgets and open source, and custom ROMs. They care about "we have 300,000 apps in our app store!" and "i can integrate with iTunes!!"...believe me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When people go into a VZW store, and they think, "hmm, I like the IPhone" and the rep tells them "well, this Android is LTE which is 5-10X faster" that makes a difference. Most people aren't like the airhead in that cartoon. If this wasn't the case, then PC's wouldn't still outsell Mac's by about 10 to 1.

I didn't have any problems with my Droid out of the box, and that's way back at 2.0. The new Android phones running Froyo and soon to be Gingerbread? Please...

Again, Apple/IPhone marketing is very effective, in about 10% of consumers (the vast majority of whom already have the IPhone). The rest are going to browse in the store and do side-by-side comparisons. LTE will be a big selling point. When both phones do pretty much the same thing but the equivalent set-up IPhone is $100 more it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what most people will choose.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The problem is that iOS isn't doing anythign new. Its the same crap getting regurgitated, adding some 'no big deal' feature in and calling it new.

D

Dragon3463

Let's see when the Iphone hits verizon, what happens to the dreadful droid phones...

FnTwizted

Reaction score
Let me help you out. I have used all the is and by far the android is is ruthless when it comes to what it can do. Y'all can laugh but if palm wasn't lazy we wouldn't be talking about this cause that dominated to market for years, and it was windows turn and they dropped the ball same with blackberry they had the smartphone market by the balls last year and thought just like apple we toys this chit son android whaaa... that's when it happens, here is some knowledge apple used to be king in the computer market utterly dominating till they did what they are doing and still doing now being exclusive and closed sourced, did u know that apple only owns less then 5% of the computer market, reason PC let everybody use it. Same goes for here again only iPhone and everybody can make a android..... food for thought.... other reason that there is still iPhone users is that up until now there wasn't anything that could compete with it on att. If and only if apple comes to vzw will u see true shift how good iPhone is against its competitors.

D

Dragon3463

Dragon = iphone fan boy # 1

say what you want....your words is just words that have no meaning to me, just like you and the droid operating systems....

When I fisrt got the droid 1 was like the rest of you on here....Loved it, best operating system for the phone...

The more I used it, the worst it got...The phone was freezing, crazy, and that was the d1. the droid x is just as bad....read all the problems that they have with the phones....from the cameras not working to screen freezing and two millions other problems...

Am I Iphone fan? Never had one, but do alot people that have switched from the droid to Iphone and haven't missed the droid nonewhatsoever..
There's a reason why there are so many followers of the Iphone.

So call me what you want...don't really care. You are meaningless to me..

Dejuanxg

Reaction score
Dragon = iphone fan boy # 1

say what you want....your words is just words that have no meaning to me, just like you and the droid operating systems....

When I fisrt got the droid 1 was like the rest of you on here....Loved it, best operating system for the phone...

The more I used it, the worst it got...The phone was freezing, crazy, and that was the d1. the droid x is just as bad....read all the problems that they have with the phones....from the cameras not working to screen freezing and two millions other problems...

Am I Iphone fan? Never had one, but do alot people that have switched from the droid to Iphone and haven't missed the droid nonewhatsoever..
There's a reason why there are so many followers of the Iphone.

So call me what you want...don't really care. You are meaningless to me..
Im about to make a tottally uncalled for comment below.
Android-OS.jpg
moto-droid.jpg

Your an idiot there is no such thing as "droid os" its called android droid is a brand of phone sty for tje best of tje best on verizon ok. Its not now cool now had out ever been cool to call android's os "droid" thank you yout may now comment idiot!
Sorry for the double post it wouldn't let me edit to add pics above.

Reaction score
My wife and son have iPods, their basically iPhones but without the calling feature.
Personally I can't stand to use them, They make me feel so stuck in a box with no room to move.
Freedom, that is why people choose Android over Apple.
Well that, and maybe Flash support. :p

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Respect is #1 in the Droid Forums. Calling someone an idiot is not being respectful to another member. Lets stop that right now.

You can get an infraction and time off of the Forms. That's flaming and we have strict rules against it. 30 days off if insults continue.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you might be grossly underestimating how many people "settled" for android because they didn't want to leave verizon. you're absolutely right, 80% (probably more) will be At&t customers making the switch, but the current VZW customers who switch to the iphone wont be something to laugh at either. Android is not going to get crushed by a VZW iphone, but its definitely going to take a hit.

why? cuz the iphone is simple and it just works out of the box, is user friendly and everyone and their mother has heard of it and thinks its God's gift to smartphones. marketing works, believe it or not. the millions that apple spends on advertising are what make the iphone the phone that most people want

i'm sticking with android but i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority...who knows, we'll see.

You know what I thought when I got my first Droid after struggling with Blackberry Storm for a year? "Wow, this phone is incredible and it works right out of the box."

Of course it wasn't even the Incredible, that came later but I think you get my point. ;)

chaz.ring

Reaction score
:r_c: folks.........

even if every member of this forum shared the same opinion it would not equate to much more than a few percent of all of just verizon users...

Dragon.... don't sweat it.... I used to have an Iphone. It was a much smoother phone out of the box. AT&T got horrible service at our new house and so I needed to switch. I got the HTC Incredible and loved that it had flash. I then I got the X for two days and realized what a mistake it was and took back my Incredible from the wife.

Most of the people who buy a cell phone just want what is considered cool, and don't care about open source (or even know what it is). If and When the Iphone comes to VZW it will bring a lot of the At&T users to VZW's network... when that happens it will equate to a lot of sales of the Iphone.... plain and simple. Its not like they can just switch carriers and keep their at&t Iphone...they will have to get one that is compatible with VZW which= new Iphone sales.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
When people go into a VZW store, and they think, "hmm, I like the IPhone" and the rep tells them "well, this Android is LTE which is 5-10X faster" that makes a difference. Most people aren't like the airhead in that cartoon. If this wasn't the case, then PC's wouldn't still outsell Mac's by about 10 to 1.

I didn't have any problems with my Droid out of the box, and that's way back at 2.0. The new Android phones running Froyo and soon to be Gingerbread? Please...

Again, Apple/IPhone marketing is very effective, in about 10% of consumers (the vast majority of whom already have the IPhone). The rest are going to browse in the store and do side-by-side comparisons. LTE will be a big selling point. When both phones do pretty much the same thing but the equivalent set-up IPhone is $100 more it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what most people will choose.

call me crazy but i HIGHLY doubt Verizon reps are going to push droids over iphones by using LTE as a selling point. the iphone will be the "new" product, and it will undoubtedly be the product of a ridiculous advertising blitz. So if a customer comes into the store, reps are not going to tell them "don't buy the iphone get the droid". Your VZW store, if it does that has very odd sales protocol. Verizon knows an iPhone on their network will get them sales numbers that were before unseen. No chance they'll ask their managers to push LTE over the iPhone. LTE won't have any benefit for at least a year since it'll be limited, if i wanted an iphone (which I don't and never will), telling me about LTE wouldn't change my mind.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
you might be grossly underestimating how many people "settled" for android because they didn't want to leave verizon. you're absolutely right, 80% (probably more) will be At&t customers making the switch, but the current VZW customers who switch to the iphone wont be something to laugh at either. Android is not going to get crushed by a VZW iphone, but its definitely going to take a hit.

why? cuz the iphone is simple and it just works out of the box, is user friendly and everyone and their mother has heard of it and thinks its God's gift to smartphones. marketing works, believe it or not. the millions that apple spends on advertising are what make the iphone the phone that most people want

i'm sticking with android but i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority...who knows, we'll see.

You know what I thought when I got my first Droid after struggling with Blackberry Storm for a year? "Wow, this phone is incredible and it works right out of the box."

Of course it wasn't even the Incredible, that came later but I think you get my point. ;)

I've never owned a BB, but from what I've heard two cans with strings attached would be an upgrade hahaa...so yeah it probably seemed amazing to play with a Droid after owning one. dancedroid Have you ever had an iPhone or used it for any appreciable amount of time? The difference is literally night and day as far as UI and user friendliness. That's what sells.

There is zero chance that I will switch because I like being able to customize, being able to root, overclocking, theming and the fact that its open source. But I'm also not crazy enough to think that many, many customers arent going to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.