Android surges in Q3, second only to Symbian

J

JohnDroid

android-q3-numbers.jpg

We've all been hearing numbers thrown around lately that claim Android has been on a hot streak and gaining market share by leaps and bounds. Well, now we have an exact number. According to market research firm Gartner - in the Q3 2010 quarter Android has taken over the #2 spot, behind Symbian.

In this quarter Symbian sold almost 30 million devices which seems like a lot, but is actually a decrease of 8% for Symbian. Meanwhile Android OS came in with 20 million devices... a jump of 22%. The largest phones responsible for this is undoubtedly the Verizon Droid lineup, the Samsung Galaxy S line on multiple carriers and HTC for bringing out a ton of devices as well.

For the Apple fans out there, the iPhone came in 3rd with 14 million units worldwide.

(Source: BGR)

onsht1kll

Reaction score
The start to the fall of apple! .. Well most of us can only hope ..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Well there's alot That goes into that statement. .. u could argue that is what is killing ios .. is the lack of hardware choices .. but considering the iPhone 4 came out this year and it is the best phone ever sold, its the easiest platform in the history of phones and well its steve job's baby then it should beat every platform hands down two fold .. I hope everyone noticed my sarcasm ... but considering the launch of the recent iPhone 4 and they still couldn't beat android .. I hope this is a sign of things to come .. I can only hope iPhone doesn't make it to Verizon

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Big Ry

Reaction score
I keep seeing people defend iOS by saying Its 1 phone vs. X phones for Android...so what? That only proves how much more superior android is to iOS. Wow, apple makes ONE phone a year...congratulations. and with all their extra time, o certainly would expect it to run great. Androids popping up on devices from multiple manufacturers on multiple carriers in multiple countries...and its still better than iOS IMO. That's the sign of a true leader. Its not about the hardware but rather the software.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every time I see ppl bring up one vs. many...I like to remind them about Win Mo...

Been out before the iPhone. When the iPhone came out, it passed Win Mo a year later in market share and has kept them in their rear view mirror ever since..

....Win Mo ....which was on many phones, on many carriers....

ppl need to just give Android credit where credit is due. Its a decent OS. Its that simple...If it was as easy as just being on many phones on many carriers, MS probably wouldnt have revamped Win Mo.

moosez3

Reaction score
The existence of the iPhone is actually a great thing and I hope it never goes away.
some reasons:
-do you think other manufacturers would have perfected touch screen phones as quickly had it not been for the iPhone? IMO it still did take a while before they came close to the iPhone sensitivity.
-Screen resolution, iPhone has raised the bar, now other manufacturers will have to follow suite.
-Same points can be made about the actual android OS vs iOS

Its called competition, it almost always works out better for us the consumers...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not taking anything away from Android. What they have done in the amount of time they have done it in is remarkable.

Certainly true. As was your initial comment. In fact, I doubt seriously that Mr. Jobs and Co. would trade places with Google in this product space. After all Apple controls an incredibly profitable app source AND the OS that runs on the iPhone AND the iPhone itself. Not to mention the incredibly popular related hardware items, iPad and iPad/iTouch that set the bar in those product spaces.

As Google quickly learned, trying to compete with Apple with a "Google phone" was a non-starter. Fortunately, that was never their primary strategy.

Google certainly deserves credit for developing and promoting the only viable strategy to compete with Apple; that of giving away an operating system and focusing their attention on what they do well -- free apps supported by advertising and a successful app Marketplace (not as successful as Apple's, but impressive all the same.)

Does the Android OS and its associated hardware pose a threat to Apple? Of course it does. But only in the same way that Apple poses a threat to Microsoft. Android can become the dominant o/s for smartphones and Apple shareholders will cry all the way to the bank.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing people defend iOS by saying Its 1 phone vs. X phones for Android...so what? That only proves how much more superior android is to iOS. Wow, apple makes ONE phone a year...congratulations. and with all their extra time, o certainly would expect it to run great. Androids popping up on devices from multiple manufacturers on multiple carriers in multiple countries...and its still better than iOS IMO. That's the sign of a true leader. Its not about the hardware but rather the software.

i think what people are saying is (and they're correct), if you have 30 phones and every time someone buys one of those 30 phones, a notch goes in the sales numbers for android, then common sense would tell you that android would outsell ios. it's not about which os is better, or which phone is better, its the quantity available for people to buy. if i have 100 vw beetles, and 1 ferrari, and sold all my cars, that doesn't mean the beetles are superior to the ferrari. it means there were more beetles to sell. i dont get why people are confused by this pretty simple and obvious concept.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

i think what people are saying is (and they're correct), if you have 30 phones and every time someone buys one of those 30 phones, a notch goes in the sales numbers for android, then common sense would tell you that android would outsell ios. it's not about which os is better, or which phone is better, its the quantity available for people to buy. if i have 100 vw beetles, and 1 ferrari, and sold all my cars, that doesn't mean the beetles are superior to the ferrari. it means there were more beetles to sell. i dont get why people are confused by this pretty simple and obvious concept.

exactly! I was trying to think of a good analogy and you got it spot on!