Android Messages Web View

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Someone on another forum thinks Google has to enable it for your account before the option appears in the app. It's plausible

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I've got nuthin'. Mine just showed up with no prompting the day after I got Oreo. My message app had been updated days before.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm on the Google Play product help page, and have posted a few questions there. As I figured, other users have the same issue after installing the new app update. We all have the same app version but no new Web Messages option. A coworker updated the app on his Pixel this morning and also does not have the new Web Messages option. The Google help team is normally pretty good, so hopefully they have some ideas and information. I will share here, in case it helps someone else that updated the app but does not have the new option.

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (T-Mobile)
I did get it on my S8+ and my ZTE Zmax Pro but not in my V20.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A few Google Experts (as they are called on that Forum) posted that there is a server side "switch" that has to be flipped on for your account / device ID... something on their servers. Once that happens the Messages app will notify us that Web Messages is ready to setup. Apparently that update is rolling out separately from the app update. Sure is causing confusion, there are a ton of negative reviews on the Play Store now since people have an app update that lists "Text From Your Computer" as a what's new feature, but they can't see the new option. I wonder if this has more popularity than Google realized and they can't keep up with all the added web activity?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
A few Google Experts (as they are called on that Forum) posted that there is a server side "switch" that has to be flipped on for your account / device ID... something on their servers. Once that happens the Messages app will notify us that Web Messages is ready to setup. Apparently that update is rolling out separately from the app update. Sure is causing confusion, there are a ton of negative reviews on the Play Store now since people have an app update that lists "Text From Your Computer" as a what's new feature, but they can't see the new option. I wonder if this has more popularity than Google realized and they can't keep up with all the added web activity?

what a way to complicate things. used to be so easy to install google apps

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The app is fine....in a way. It's the other piece that is leading to confusion. Probably shouldn't release an app update that has new functionality listed in the What's New section until everything is 100% ready to implement the new stuff.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that you don't have to sign into to chrome to run messages on pc.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I just got a pop up in messages to try it and voila it also shows up as a fun item from the dots. No app update needed. Definitely sounds like a behind the scenes toggle switch

I like the idea and have been waiting for something like this to be built into windows 10 but alas Cortana syncing texts does not seem to as fully featured as googles but I would prefer an a windows 10 app vs always having to switch to a browser to use it
Question:
If it's used are all your texts stored in Google servers or just relayed to the browser.
How secure is this feature etc

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's not secure, you already mentioned that once. And yes, your app did update to version 3.3.044 at some point or you would not have received the prompt to try it. The app update may have been days ago. If you have auto update turned on you might not have known the app updated, but I assure you it did.

Last edited:
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry, I meant to type 3.3.044.

I finally received the new Messages For Web option this afternoon. Synced right up with my Chromebook and it's pretty cool. Not the greatest tech advancement in modern history, but cool. I can see where this will be handy at times. Good job Google!

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
<Sigh> Still no love from Google for me. :(

I know what's going on too. Google knows that I'm on vacation next week. So they're going to wait until I'm away from my computer to flip my switch o_O

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
<Sigh> Still no love from Google for me. :(

I know what's going on too. Google knows that I'm on vacation next week. So they're going to wait until I'm away from my computer to flip my switch o_O
If you are daring, you can try removing your Google account from your phone > reboot a d re-add your Google account. Some have said that "forces" the flip. But....it also removed all downloaded music and you have to make sure all Google products & apps are syncing correctly again. Hard to say if that's worth it or not?

sahmraw

Reaction score
From another forum,members have found if they turn off auto download mms in settings the messages for web suddenly appears. My be worth you guys giving it a go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
From another forum,members have found if they turn off auto download mms in settings the messages for web suddenly appears. My be worth you guys giving it a go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well.. dayum!! That actually worked!