Android Messages Web View

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw this in my Google News fees this afternoon and wondered why it wasn't covered here already. Google has started to roll out updates that will allow us to read and send Android Messages texts from their website. All in a push to one day roll out Google Chats, their all in one RCS messaging service. I just tried to set it up, but apparently don't have the newest update to Messages just yet. Anyone else hear about this, or using it yet?

Check your messages on your computer - Messages Help

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hear about it but don't have that option yet. I miss it when I was with Verizon and was able to message from pc.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't really need it either, but it may come in handy once in a while. I used Verizon Message+ for a while and it was useful at times to keep all texts in synce between my phone, tablet and laptop. I think it's good to see Google stop / slow down development on all these other message style apps and focus on one simple, useful RCS messaging system. There are too many different Google messaging options now, let's have one that does it all.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I use Cortana for Android to windows messaging even though I use Android messanger. For this new feature you have to use edge chrome or Firefox you can't use ie. It could be useful in a pinch if you lost your phone but ayou have to have the app sync to the browser first and it syncs to one browser at a time. It caches 16 days in the web browser I read so not great for shared computer or public one. Also read it's not end to end encrypted. I wish Google would release full instructions only have seen second hand articles on it a d still can't update my Z2 force to the version company with the web yet. Very interesting

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Google play does not have the new version when I check from a Z2 force. I have the latest one offered and the options aren't there

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Google play does not have the new version when I check from a Z2 force. I have the latest one offered and the options aren't there

Correct. It has nothing to do with phone model or version. Major app updates like this roll out to the Play Store in waves not always all at once. Be patient and it will be available soon. It's not available for me either. Google said...."starting today", not "everyone will have it today". Patience.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Correct. It has nothing to do with phone model or version. Major app updates like this roll out to the Play Store in waves not always all at once. Be patient and it will be available soon. It's not available for me either. Google said...."starting today", not "everyone will have it today". Patience.

yea, they don't want to break the store with too many major updates at the same time :)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks @CJM. I have version 3.2.042 right now. That one you mentioned might have the new option to link your browser. There are so many choices I think I'll wait for it to hit the Play Store. I had some issues with Messages once before when i picked an APK from there. It worked fine but would never update again through the Play Store. It was because I picked the wrong sub version for my phone, so it was my fault. Nothing wrong with APK Mirror.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks @CJM. I wish I would have known about that the last time I picked an app from APK Mirror; and picked the wrong one. I was able to fix it eventually, but it was a pain in the...:D

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I installed version 3.3.043 from APK Mirror and it still doesn't have the new Scan Barcode For Website option. I guess we just have to wait for Google to push out this new update, if we want to try it.